Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry for your loss aim-high. My deepest condolences.

Saying goodbye to our dog Violet was as hard...maybe harder than saying goodbye to my dying mother. This is because I saw and took care of Violet every day for 15 1/2 years while with Mom I only saw her occasionally as I moved 3000 miles away.

As the time approached I was in denial but eventually we decided that it was time for Violet to go. We planned to give her a Steak dinner (she was still eating ok but her QoL was deteriorating rapidly). On the Friday night before, I sat with her and asked her if only she could tell me what she wanted. Early Saturday morning I woke to hear a strange sound and when out to where she was sleeping and found her unable to sit up (the sound was her trying). I think she had a stroke. We took her in right away and within 2 hrs she passed away peacefully in my arms. I am tearing up even now thinking about it (it was 4+ years ago). I was a mess for about 3-4 days.

Our pets can touch our hearts in ways that nothing else can and to say goodbye is one of the hardest things you may ever do. Even when it is the right thing to do. Although it is hard take what solace you can in knowing that you did the right thing. They would thank you if they could.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm sorry for your loss...it just sucks, but it will get easier with time...lots of time.

Kinda funny that just prior to reading this thread I was laying next to my junkyard dog thinking about how much he stinks and takes up more than his fair share of the bed. Now, I appreciate his special 'flavor' and will gladly enjoy my 4 inches of mattress.

Someone also eluded to the gift this can be; one of my biggest concerns for my end of life is not being able to go as peacefully as our beloved pets can. If I was suffering, I'd want the shot, for sure.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
For those who are still with their furry friends some ideas how to spend one of the final days:
Jon Katz's Going Home: Spend one, last, perfect day with your dying dog.
great article, thanks for sharing..

aim-high, sorry for your loss.... we lost our corgi 2 months ago ( RIP Kramer the Corgi).. and have another that we will lose soon.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I just with through this last month with a cat. He was a pure bred Devon Rex that came in to the animal shelter as a stray. He was only 12 years old and his kidneys failed. The best thing about not having to go to a job was being able to stay home with him and comfort him to the end.

RIP Bat Chat, you are now back on your alien planet.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #45

I'm a Happy Person

But I haven't been truely happy since my Emily Ann the black lab dog/daughter died on March 9, 2009. I cry every morning and night when I think of her and how I miss her. She was pure and childlike and loved us all. I may never get over this. It's been 5 and a half years. Oh, how I wish she were still here to sleep in the bed with us and be petted. I loved that dog like a child and I will never forget her.

She was such a good dog. Oh, how I miss her.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #46

We have always struggled with this. We have 2 dogs staggered at different ages to kind of spread it out.

Wight now our GSd is 13 and that day is coming. Our thoughts are certainly with you as that time approaches. What I always tell others and my self is to focus on all of the good times. When you start doing that it eases the pain. At least for me.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #47

can't remember where I got this recently (might have been here).. but it bears repeating

When our loved one dies, it’s as if they are on a ship, leaving port and disappearing over the horizon. And those of us left on the dock watch sadly and say, “There she goes.” And when the ship goes over the horizon we mourn because our loved one seems to be gone completely, because we can’t see her any more.

But, when the ship disappears over the horizon to us, it is just appearing to those at another port. And there are loved ones and fellow believers standing on the dock there who have already made the same journey. They are watching expectantly, and when the ship comes over the horizon and approaches, they cheer and say joyously, “Here she comes!”
Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
can't remember where I got this recently (might have been here).. but it bears repeating

When our loved one dies, it’s as if they are on a ship, leaving port and disappearing over the horizon. And those of us left on the dock watch sadly and say, “There she goes.” And when the ship goes over the horizon we mourn because our loved one seems to be gone completely, because we can’t see her any more.

But, when the ship disappears over the horizon to us, it is just appearing to those at another port. And there are loved ones and fellow believers standing on the dock there who have already made the same journey. They are watching expectantly, and when the ship comes over the horizon and approaches, they cheer and say joyously, “Here she comes!”
In fact, it was this very thread. I also liked it, and saved it as it will be very appropriate for my father's eulogy when that inevitable day comes, hopefully many years from now.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
But I haven't been truely happy since my Emily Ann the black lab dog/daughter died on March 9, 2009. I cry every morning and night when I think of her and how I miss her. She was pure and childlike and loved us all. I may never get over this. It's been 5 and a half years. Oh, how I wish she were still here to sleep in the bed with us and be petted. I loved that dog like a child and I will never forget her.

She was such a good dog. Oh, how I miss her.

Mike D.
maybe you can look for another Emily Ann out there, not to take her place, but to love you just the same.

Pretty name.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #50

I was thinking about this thread this past Friday as I took my Lab to the Vet. One of his legs had swollen up 3 times the normal size. After the exam the Vet said it was most likely due to a snake bite. (we do live in Texas) She gave him a shot for that and some pills for infection and pain. Two days later he's back to wanting to go swimming in the ponds again.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
maybe you can look for another Emily Ann out there, not to take her place, but to love you just the same.

Pretty name.
After my sweet Michelle, my best buddy, went over the rainbow bridge I lasted 7 days before another dog came into my life.

I remember a Sanford & Son episode where Fred is thinking about getting remarried and looks up to the sky to talk to his late wife and says "she can never take your place, but I need someone to take your space".

So even though she came into my life to take Michelle's space, she now has her own place in my heart. Having the new dog did help alot - and she's now my little love and my shadow who makes me laugh with her silly antics.

My condolences to all those who have lost a pet. It hurts so much.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #52

One of the hardest decisions I had to make was having my golden retriever Tory put to sleep at the age of 13, back in 2008. I've had pets die before, but this was the first time I had to make the decision to have one put to sleep. It really was time, as both of the dog's hind legs had pretty much gone out and she could barely walk. I had to carry her down the stairs to go out, and carry her back up.

It really was painful, and the only thing that really made the pain fade away for me was time. I had to have a 10 year old cat, named Kirstie, put to sleep just this past December, and I feel a bit guilty to admit this, but the second time was easier. However, the circumstances were also a bit different. Whereas Tory would have still lived awhile longer, albeit in miserable conditions, Kirstie had kidney failure and would probably have died within a few days.