Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I received a call today from a friend who works at the VA Medical Center and it said US GOV.
I've had calls that also shows SSI or a variation of Social Security. Because the spoofers can imitate legit names and numbers, those that rely on caller id alone can get fooled

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I don't have a caller-ID box. Would I need to buy one of those, too? And would my phone bill increase if I added caller-ID service? I see I would need to buy a splitter if I don't have one already (I'd have to check to see if I have one of them already). I am trying to get a handle on what other little surprises await me should I buy the Sentry 2 call-clocker.

Nevertheless, I am so sick of getting calls from Carmen or Bridget from Cardholder Services 2 or 3 times a week along with all the other garbage calls.
You would need caller-ID service for the Sentry 2 to work.

The Sentry 2 doesn't show the name but only numbers.

You don't need a separate caller-id box for the Sentry 2 to screen calls. Of course, to see the name, you'd need caller id with name as the service and a display that shows both number and name.

For me, I actually use a mutisplitter which I connect the Sentry 2, my cordless phone (with caller id and name display) and answering machine.

The multisplitter is similar to this:

Amazon.com: 5 Port (or 4 , 3 , 2) Way Telephone (Phone , Modem , Fax) Line Splitter 4-Wire Adapter: Electronics

Calls on my whitelist go through as normal. Ones on my blacklist get hung up on 1st ring. New calls not on my whitelist get intercepted and screened on 1st ring.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
As universally hated as these calls are, you'd think some politician would run on a platform to eliminate this. Heck, I'd contribute to their campaign fund.

Care to be my campaign manager? Though I would need to also "pack the court" as "cruel and unusual punishment" would be litigated as public whippings for these and any other money thieving scoundrels would be my platform I would run on. I don't want to build prisons the taxpayer must finance. Whips are cheap to buy. Surely 15% of the population would vote for that you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Surely 15% of the population would vote for that you think?
You got my vote!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You got my vote!

Walt, I am a sincere believer in the fact that "pain brings conformity".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2015, 08:11 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
You would need caller-ID service for the Sentry 2 to work.

The Sentry 2 doesn't show the name but only numbers.

You don't need a separate caller-id box for the Sentry 2 to screen calls. Of course, to see the name, you'd need caller id with name as the service and a display that shows both number and name.

For me, I actually use a mutisplitter which I connect the Sentry 2, my cordless phone (with caller id and name display) and answering machine.

The multisplitter is similar to this:

Amazon.com: 5 Port (or 4 , 3 , 2) Way Telephone (Phone , Modem , Fax) Line Splitter 4-Wire Adapter: Electronics

Calls on my whitelist go through as normal. Ones on my blacklist get hung up on 1st ring. New calls not on my whitelist get intercepted and screened on 1st ring.
Not having caller-ID, I would need to pay Verizon more $$ every month AND buy this Sentry device to avoid all the garbage calls, not just pay a one-time amount for only the device. This sounds a lot like a shakedown which I find more distasteful than the calls themselves. No wonder Verizon doesn't really want to stop these calls - they make money from both sides in this little war.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not having caller-ID, I would need to pay Verizon more $$ every month AND buy this Sentry device to avoid all the garbage calls, not just pay a one-time amount for only the device. This sounds a lot like a shakedown which I find more distasteful than the calls themselves. No wonder Verizon doesn't really want to stop these calls - they make money from both sides in this little war.
I'm sure the telco companies like Verizon and ATT don't really want to stop these calls. They get you from both sides. Kinda like the irony in buying a car when the salesperson tells you how great the car is until you commit to buy, then the extended warranty person tells you who crappy the car is .

My understanding is that caller id is required because on first ring, that is how the device gets the number to interpret to block or pass along as good.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
We just hang up on them. I figure that if you toy with them too much, they are probably in a position to pass your phone number along such that the volume of crank calls goes exponential.
I had one call me back. It was the Microsoft support scam, and as soon as he introduced himself I started with "MY COMPUTER? OH NO, I CAN'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY COMPUTER! I'LL PAY ANYTHING IF YOU CAN FIX IT, PLEASE PLEASE!" Then I got less intelligible, and finally just started wailing/screaming into the phone and hung up. He called me back and said "Hey, you a$$hole" and I picked up a whistle I keep by my phone and blew it as loudly as I could. I think that may have actually been my last call from them.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I solved the robocalls problem 100% with this product

Amazon.com: SENTRY 2 (New), Fully automatic blocking, 100% blocking of all spam calls new or repeated.: Electronics

The first time a call from an unknown caller ID is received, the caller has to press "O" when prompted to do so by a message. From then on, that person's calls will go through.

There are a few problems with it, but it has blocked all robocalls--the phone doesn't ring.
I got one too! Now it's like the old days...when the phone rings we jump to it, and it's ALWAYS someone we know.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We don't get that many robocalls but I put this on the wish list in case they increase.

But just now I got a recording call that started out "Congratulations! You've just won a free trip to the Bahamas!"

So at that point I did the sensible thing and hung up.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I received a call today from a friend who works at the VA Medical Center and it said US GOV.
I have gotten a couple of calls from the Atlanta VA regional office. The phone number comes up as 000-000-0000 and no name identification.

When I was still w*rking for the AF, some of the phones would identify themselves as "US GOVT".

Also, as for spoofing, I can actually change my caller ID on Ting (could do it with Sprint too when I was paying WAY TOO MUCH for cell service) and my name is set to "I'M IMPORTANT".
Old 06-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious, from your experiences, do the telemarketers obey the FTC sales calls rules of between 8 am and 9 pm?

For me, most of the time they do. Though I did get a telemarketing call last week at about 7:45 am (happy my call blocker picked up after one ring).

My train of thought is, since many are in the scamming business, and from all over the world, I'm actually surprised they aren't trying 24/7.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #53

Quote:
I think the same way, so I just use the answering machine to screen calls since we cannot rely on the caller ID anymore.

It took some relatives a few times of getting our answering machine and hanging up to understand they HAVE to leave a message, which is when we will answer the phone.

But now it works and its free. Most scammers will hang up before leaving a message, I think maybe their robo-caller device knows its the automated message (not personal message) and so kills the call.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Concerning Caller ID: We have this phone, and it speaks the caller ID info, and displays it on the screen. Ninety-nine percent of the calls are for Lena, so I rarely have to pick up the phone. With the ringer off, I just see its screen light up with the name of the caller, and I know it's not for me.

Concerning Politicians: They won't come out against robocalls because they want use them for their campaigns.