Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Scam Call? Caller ID said "US GOVT"
Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Scam Call? Caller ID said "US GOVT"

Was just now sitting in the kitchen and the phone rang.

We have a phone with a Caller ID display and I NEVER pick up the phone unless it is someone I know.

I look over and the Caller ID says "US GOVT"

Still skeptical - let it ring and go to answering mode.

No message.

Huh.

Do some googling and found a link that says the US Govt will never just call someone out of the blue and that scammers use a computer to plug in whatever they want for the Caller ID at the other end to display.

You all probably already know that, but thought I'd pass it on.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't bother answering calls with "US GOVT" caller ID's. If I get one that says "GOD", maybe I'll pick up...
Old 06-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What you'll want to do is to input the number in a site like http://800notes.com/

I'm willing to bet that others have reported that number is a scam.

Caller ID one time was reliable when that technology came out. But now, it is so easy for the spammers to just spoof the numbers and names.

The other day, I got a call with my own number on the caller ID as the caller. But I already have that number added as "REJECT" on my call blocker device .
Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
What you'll want to do is to input the number in a site like http://800notes.com/

I'm willing to bet that others have reported that number is a scam.

Caller ID one time was reliable when that technology came out. But now, it is so easy for the spammers to just spoof the numbers and names.

The other day, I got a call with my own number on the caller ID as the caller. But I already have that number added as "REJECT" on my call blocker device .

Will this work for non 1-800 numbers?

I wrote down the number and it was from a 619 area code located someplace in Alpine CA?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't bother answering calls with "US GOVT" caller ID's. If I get one that says "GOD", maybe I'll pick up...
Don't bother. Back when email was easy to spoof I sent one to a niece from "god@heaven.org". She immediately knew it was me because i was the only one in the family who would know how to do that.

Technology marches on and no doubt some scammer has or will use your idea.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our Postmaster will call if there is something important to pick up as it is a 34 mile round trip. The caller ID is UNITED STATES GOVT.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post

I wrote down the number and it was from a 619 area code located someplace in Alpine CA?
The 800 Notes site should work for both 800 numbers and regular numbers. The site is just a place where regular people who are sick of scammers input the numbers to let others know if a number is legit or not.

If that number has been around awhile and a scam (which I suspect), chances are someone has also got a call from them.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Yes, if the number has been reported. Also you can do reverse number lookup, but the spoofing technology almost makes it useless as the spammers can spoof legit caller IDs and phone numbers.

Reverse Phone Lookup - Whitepages
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

I usually type the phone number into google. It usually turns something up.

Often, if I'm already at the computer, I can type it in and get an answer before the phone stops ringing.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
gone traveling

I am waiting for new technology that lets you send your fist over the phone line. Just sick of all these scammers bothering us.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #11

I highly recommend Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo

It's free, and it works. I've had it almost a year, and I think it only let one call slip through. I reported it to them, so that number is now on their $hit list.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Before I had a good call blocker, I'd just let the machine pick up and train my mind to not worry about the call. In other words, if the call is important, they'd leave a message.

The spammers try to lure you into picking up with names that sound important like "Customer Service' or "Energy Department", among others, plus even your own name and number.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I highly recommend Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo

It's free, and it works. I've had it almost a year, and I think it only let one call slip through. I reported it to them, so that number is now on their $hit list.
NOMOROBO is pretty good for now, but as reported here, it will soon be useless. The scammers just program a rotating list of local numbers into their CID systems.

Also, anyone with simultaneous ring feature can use NOMOROBO, whether their system is in the NOMOROBO list or not - just identify yourself as someone in one of the supported systems, then set up a simul-ring to the number that NOMOROBO provides.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be sure to tell HIM that HE has a wrong number.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:37 AM   #15

We dropped the land line 2 years ago because of scam and robo calls... now, these calls are beginning to trickle over to the cell phone... I think Rachel from Account Services is handing out our number to her friends.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have had my cell phone since January and have given out the number to maybe 10 people whom I told to call me only if they can't reach me on my landline (which is very rarely). I have received less than 10 calls from those people in 5 months. Yes I have received dozens of calls (and texts) from people and alleged businesses (mostly scammers) I never heard of. Many of them have been for some guy named Leonard who apparently had this number before it got recycled to me. Telling the caller I am not Leonard has reduced the amount of unwanted calls but I still receive several calls per week anyway. At least Bridget and Carmen, those unstoppable cockroaches from "Cardholder Services," haven't called me on my cell phone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #17

One thing that helped for me , when I dropped the landline I "parked" the number with a parking service. The number now is just a voicemail, it sends me an email if a message is left. I decided to keep the old landline number because it was tied to so many accounts and everything now that requires a phone for registration get this number. If something important calls or a long lost old friend they can leave a message.

The voip line is not published and so far no spam calls on it ( going on 5+ years )
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #18

Why does everyone invest time in trying to investigate an unsolicited phone call? As someone else said, if it's important they'll leave a message. I have more important things to do, like go and play on someone's lawn.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a threatening call from someone identifying themselves as with the IRS. After a few seconds of terror I realized the dude had an almost incomprehensible Indian accent and the IRS would never hire such a person for taxpayer contact.

It didn't hurt that I was, for a short time, an IRS Revenue Officer, and I knew (at least back in the 70s) they would never make an initial "bad news" contact by phone.

So, I hung up on the guy.

Found out later that this is common. The calls frequently come in from Washington numbers, but sometimes they look like Washington State instead of DC.

When we get anything like this now (and it has happened a few times) SWMBO likes to string them along for fun.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Got a call just yesterday which, thanks to his forum (I think) gave me a heads up.

"We've detected something wrong with your computer...."
I played along for a few minutes then told him that I had a Chromebook and didn't have a MS logo button...
He hung up within a half second!