Join Early Retirement Today

scam or not??
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

scam or not??

I just got a phone call that said my computer was sending out warnings and errors and has a trojan virus. the guy said his name was james robinson and his phone no is 315--219-9190 he had me type in www. win32.us and it took me to a site that said support. I can not find that he or the site is connected to microsoft and was wondering if anyone was getting this call? he wanted me to download a program called teamviewer QS1 when you click the word support on this site, but I got a little scary about opening a program I knew nothing about on the word of a stranger.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just got a phone call that said my computer was sending out warnings and errors and has a trojan virus. the guy said his name was james robinson and his phone no is 315--219-9190 he had me type in www. win32.us and it took me to a site that said support. I can not find that he or the site is connected to microsoft and was wondering if anyone was getting this call? he wanted me to download a program called teamviewer QS1 when you click the word support on this site, but I got a little scary about opening a program I knew nothing about on the word of a stranger.
SCAM

Do not download it. It is a virus or trojan horse of some kind.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is an old scam. Here is some information from the same scam from a different phone number: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-315-633-4441
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
SCAM
+1000

I wouldn't open that program for all the tea in China.

My suggestion is to run your security software (such as Norton, McAfee, or whatever you have in place), and also run the free version of malwarebytes. If they come up clean then you are set.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #5

I don't know anything about your specific case, but as a general rule I would never download software and run it on advice from an unsolicited call.

Ever.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

RULE NUMBER 1: Unless you initiated it, make no changes to your machine.

So a call out of the blue to "fix" your machine is highly suspect.

If you are convinced the call is "real", get a company name, employee name and callback number. Then research it and see if the company's official web site has that callback number, or call the main number and ask for the employee.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

SCAM. You might have given a stranger access to your computer. Why else would a stranger call you and tell you to support a strange website with something called team viewer on it?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Administrator

Scam for sure! And now you badly need to remove tracking cookies that site undoubtedly loaded up on your machine.

Go to malwarebytes.org and download the free version. Update the definitions and run a full scan. Do it now....
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely a SCAM.

Also, sounds like he was abusing the use of the free TeamViewer software to gain access and remote control your computer.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Scam

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It's a scam. Whenever I get a call like that, I just yell to the caller, "This is a SCAM"!" and hang up the phone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
It's a scam. Whenever I get a call like that, I just yell to the caller, "This is a SCAM"!" and hang up the phone.
You're more polite than me. I either play dumb and string them along for 20 minutes or say a string of words that would make a sailor proud.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Got one of those calls a couple months ago while at home waiting for my wife to get back from shopping. Had time to kill so I played along. I became the most inept computer user ever as this poor scammer tried and tried to walk me through some Windows admin tools and event logs which would "prove" that my computer was horribly infected and ready to explode. I'd ask every time "do I left click or right click?" even if he had just told me. I'd use wrong terms to describe thing, I'd say "oops, what happened?" under my breath and say "What was that last part again?"

All that was leading up to getting me to download their "repair tool" which was certainly going to be a virus. After 20 minutes of my incompetence and bumbling we were at the point where he could direct me to the website.

I unplugged the network cable from the PC. I feigned ignorance about Internet Explorer, he told me how to start it, I read off the (actual) error about not being connected to the internet. He asked me to try my email, I said I didn't use email.

He asked how I used the internet, I said I don't know. Do I have a router? A modem? I said I don't know. I could hear it in his voice - all that time wasted on someone who COULD have been scammed, was WILLING to be scammed, but didn't have an internet connection to make it happen.

Felt kind of good, maybe I saved a couple other people from being harassed.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Teamviewer isn't a scam - it's a piece of software that allows a remote user to take control of your computer. I use it frequently to support my mother and MIL with their computer problems.

What is the scam is allowing someone you don't know to use the software to access your computer.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You're more polite than me. I either play dumb and string them along for 20 minutes or say a string of words that would make a sailor proud.
I avoid doing that. They have my number, what if they start ringing me at all hours of the night? They can fake their caller ID, so blocking them isn't easy. Some bored guy in cube might think that's funny.

Just hang up, or better yet, don't answer in the first place.

I use Teamviewer for remote control of my Mom's computer (lifesaver!), and I guess they make a version that is a real fast one-click temporary install - yep, that sure could be dangerous in the hands of bad guys.

Is this a scam - OMG yes, without a doubt, and a very dangerous one. frank, be careful out there!

All together now:

1,2,3,4; 1,2,3,4

SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, .... SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, SCAM

SCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM, .... Wonderful SCAM ...

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
Got one of those calls a couple months ago while at home waiting for my wife to get back from shopping. Had time to kill so I played along. I became the most inept computer user ever as this poor scammer tried and tried to walk me through some Windows admin tools and event logs which would "prove" that my computer was horribly infected and ready to explode. I'd ask every time "do I left click or right click?" even if he had just told me. I'd use wrong terms to describe thing, I'd say "oops, what happened?" under my breath and say "What was that last part again?"

All that was leading up to getting me to download their "repair tool" which was certainly going to be a virus. After 20 minutes of my incompetence and bumbling we were at the point where he could direct me to the website.

I unplugged the network cable from the PC. I feigned ignorance about Internet Explorer, he told me how to start it, I read off the (actual) error about not being connected to the internet. He asked me to try my email, I said I didn't use email.

He asked how I used the internet, I said I don't know. Do I have a router? A modem? I said I don't know. I could hear it in his voice - all that time wasted on someone who COULD have been scammed, was WILLING to be scammed, but didn't have an internet connection to make it happen.

Felt kind of good, maybe I saved a couple other people from being harassed.
Though I wouldn't go to such lengths as you did, I do admire your style
Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
or better yet, don't answer in the first place.
+1

I never answer a call if I don't know the number (basically, if it's not in my contacts). They can leave a message and I can call them back if it's worth it.

The only time I pick up an unknown number is when I'm expecting something like a repair person visit shortly.

It took me a few years to learn this behavior - I was programmed to answer a ringing phone from childhood - but it now serves me well.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #18

I received one of those phone calls about a month ago. Having been in the computer industry (software engineer) for 40 years it struck me as so strange that I started laughing. The guy that called got extremely angry and started cursing at me and then hung up.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That works but so does interrupting and saying "OK, I can help you with this but first... can you tell me what you're wearing?

If they actually respond, then ask for some detail. Usually however they simply hang up.

It can be fun...
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
That works but so does interrupting and saying "OK, I can help you with this but first... can you tell me what you're wearing?

If they actually respond, then ask for some detail. Usually however they simply hang up.

It can be fun...
I'll try that next time.