Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TeamViewer is a legitimate software tool used by many companies to control the computers of their clients. Unfortunately, it has also become a tool of scammers such as the one discussed in this thread. It is possible that the scammer is using the name of Teamviewer in a nefarious way.

I have Teamviewer installed on my computer and I use it to fix things on computers around the world. The client has to specifically allow me access for each session on their computer.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
That works but so does interrupting and saying "OK, I can help you with this but first... can you tell me what you're wearing?

If they actually respond, then ask for some detail. Usually however they simply hang up.

It can be fun...
I have heard of that approach before.

I just don't answer, but if I did, my method would be to politely say "sure, can you hang on a moment, I'll be right back" then set the receiver down and don't come back. Or better yet, after a short moment, say "I'll be right back..a few times" then walk away.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

If you are lucky they will only take a few hundred of your dollars. If you are unlucky your computer will become their unwilling slave, dishing out loads of toxic junk to your friends and even strangers. Have nothing to to with these people.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SCAM. Got a similar call this morning, but my guy was so bad at it he couldn't stay on script and repeated the "Hello my name is, and I'm from Computer Maintenance Department" a couple times, mumbled something about virus and sending bad, and then started again from the top. When I asked him, "Are you saying my computer has a problem?" He hung up. This must be a real bottom of the barrel operation.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
That works but so does interrupting and saying "OK, I can help you with this but first... can you tell me what you're wearing?

If they actually respond, then ask for some detail. Usually however they simply hang up.

It can be fun...
Had a guy call to sell replacement windows. I wasn't happy since we're on the do-not-call list, and he was a fast-talking pushy type which irritates me even more. You know, the ones who launch into "so, would Tuesday at 8 or Wednesday at 7 be better for you?"

For whatever reason, I decided to ask for turnips.

"Well, I don't know... can you bring turnips?"
I'm sorry, what?
"Turnips. Can you bring some turnips?"
Did you say turnips?
"Yes."
Turnips.
"Yes, if you could bring some turnips that would be great."
I don't think, uh, no.
"Just like everyone else! Can't even bring turnips! Goodbye then!"

He probably got a lot of mileage out of that story in the boiler room.

Might sound weird, but try asking for turnips. They will never call back.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A very simple rule. Microsoft or other legit providers will never ever call you to help! If you need help you have to go find it. These calls are always scams.

Have fun with the caller if you want, interesting ideas here:sly:. You may feel better and maybe just maybe they'll drop your number from the robo call scripts.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Total scam. I don't use Windows and they tell me my Windows machine is causing errors. LOL

I've received several calls from them. I LOVE to play along while sitting on my couch pretending I'm typing their instructions. Each time I waste at least 30 - 45 minutes before they realize I'm not doing what they want. These calls ALWAYS in end with them cursing me out in real nasty language. It doesn't bother me a bit and it's lot's of fun. They never cross me off their call list because I get another a few weeks later. Bring it on scammers!
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I just got a phone call that said my computer was sending out warnings and errors and has a trojan virus. the guy said his name was james robinson and his phone no is 315--219-9190 he had me type in www. win32.us and it took me to a site that said support. I can not find that he or the site is connected to microsoft and was wondering if anyone was getting this call? he wanted me to download a program called teamviewer QS1 when you click the word support on this site, but I got a little scary about opening a program I knew nothing about on the word of a stranger.
I read about 6 or 7 replies.

Frank, seriously, why would a stranger call you about this?

How would or could a stranger ever possibly know this?

The fact you even ask about whether it is legit is disturbing for your safety. Please I mean no offense but you need to look at the circumstances. Could you win the lottery if you didn't buy tickets and someone called you and told you that you did win? Never respond to any unsolicited emails or phone calls even if you know the "company" involved. Reputable companies, banks, et al do not contact their customers asking for personal info or access to your pc. EVER!

Be safe.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Scam. I had a call like that and the guy said the problem is on my windows computer. And I said which version of Windows and he said something like, you know what Windows is? It's on your computer and it is infected... Or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #30

usually I figure everything on the phone that tries to access my information in any form is a scam and do what everyone else does, give them a hard time or just hang up. this guy caught me by surprise and It took me about two minutes to say who are you working for and give me your phone no. and name so I can call you back. then I checked the internet and found it was a scam thanks to you guys. good to have people to check with. don't know why I went along with him that day. not thinking, bad day, whatever. it wont happen again.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

So, I'm thinking if I get one of these Windows support scam calls, my response will be "That's strange...considering I'm on a Mac"

I use Windows, but want to hear the scammers surprise
Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
usually I figure everything on the phone that tries to access my information in any form is a scam and do what everyone else does, give them a hard time or just hang up. this guy caught me by surprise and It took me about two minutes to say who are you working for and give me your phone no. and name so I can call you back. then I checked the internet and found it was a scam thanks to you guys. good to have people to check with. don't know why I went along with him that day. not thinking, bad day, whatever. it wont happen again.
Please do not do that (call back a provided number) - that is not safe. You don't need to check anything, just never do that.

Never call back a number, or respond to an email, or click a link that came from an unsolicited source. The number they provide will be part of the scam - just don't go there.

Always go to a different source to get a valid, published phone #, email, or web site. Like from your financial company statement, or in this case, directly to Microsoft (as others have said, MS would never contact you in this way, so just hang up - that's the end of it).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, I'm thinking if I get one of these Windows support scam calls, my response will be "That's strange...considering I'm on a Mac"

I use Windows, but want to hear the scammers surprise
They'll hang up. Here's why I say that, 2 days ago I get another computer call and it tells me about how their pain remedy. The human shows up 3-4 seconds after that. So the woman comes on and in a whiny nasally high pitched old coot voice I say "Ohhhh I have paaaaaain". She immediately hung up. Gee how rude.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #34

Love the creativity here - I may just try "turnips" sometime for fun on a boring afternoon!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #35

I screen all calls. If I don't know you I won't answer. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We had an interesting one today. A woman called and told us about all this stuff we'd won. The odd part was that every time we asked a question we got a preprogrammed response, but the voice sounded very human. I got DW to string her along for awhile, as I was trying to figure out if this was a very sophisticated VRU or something else. DW finally asked if she was speaking to a human being. She kept getting a response about being over 25, but finally at the 4th iteration of the question she responded that she was human, and wanted to know why we asked. It was a very odd call. All I can figure is that she was reading lines from a computer screen, and the lines were based on a computer voice recognition system. It was nearly as bad as a robocall, but sounded much smoother.

The call ended up being from the Direct Buy club. We asked to be removed from their calling list.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Keep in mind that if you do answer the phone and string the scammers along, you will get an increased number of calls from additional scammers as your number ends up on a "verified someone will answer" list and gets resold over and over again.

As much as I like to tease them I'd rather spend my time on other things. I installed call blocking software that answers the phone for unknown calls and play one of the phone company "this number has been disconnected" or "this number is no longer in service" messages. Since doing this these types of calls from unknown sources has dropped from several a day to perhaps one a week.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I won't be taking these calls anymore since I will be so busy with all those free cruises I am getting! Including airfare!! A few more postcards with these deals and I will be gone most of 2015. Aren't I lucky?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #39

As a result of this thread I'm going to change my response to those calls. Instead of cussing at them I'll either ask for turnips or ask what color their underwear is.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #40

We don't pick up the phone unless it's from someone we know.

I go into my OOMA account, look up the numbers in 800notes.com and if it's a scammer, I flag so caller ID comes up with SCAM next time. It's a never ending battle, but at least when the phone rings, I happen to look at the caller ID, and it says SCAM, I chuckle.

I'm too cheap to buy the OOMA upgrade that allows you to block numbers, hehe!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote