Join Early Retirement Today

Scarborough surveys
Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scarborough surveys

Last week or two weeks ago we kept receiving calls from this research company. I kept telling them nicely that we are on the do not call list so please dont bother. So being in one of my rotten moods I got another call during dinner. I basically snapped said a few non polite things and proceeded to hang up.

Today in the mail we get an apology letter from them and 2 crisp 1 dollar bills. Stating they were sorry their timing was bad and they will be calling again. I think its a bit strange has anyone experienced something like this?

I guess to them no means yes and Im a cheap 2 dolla hollar

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember reading a LONG time ago that they found out that people 'responded' to these types of things when they got some money... even if it was only $2....

Don't know why some sell out so cheap....

BUT, I have been surveyed myself for free a few times.... but then get pissed at them sometimes asking the same questions over and over again... they have to follow their 'script' or your answer are 'invalid'... so I just don't answer anymore...

Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #3

Ya I just found it strange to get 2 dollars in cash from the mail.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Texas is right. Some people will respond to a survey if a buck or two is thrown their way.

I do not know why. I have received the same type of survey ploy. I kept the buck. Put the empty survey in the envelop and sent it back to spend extra costs just to burden them for bothering me.

If everyone in america pushed the junk mail back to the offender Original sender without anything filled out and scratched out their name on it with a note I must have received this by mistake because I do not buy stuff from junk mail solicitations... It would stop overnight. Because it would bog down their operations and be too costly. In other words protest using their own prepaid envelope.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #5

I think the pre-payment plants a seed of 'guilt', even if unconscious, that will elicit more replies. There are probably studies that back up the effectiveness of even a token implicit "contract". It's not based on logic or the actual worth of what is offered.

Same deal with those charities that send unsolicited stickers or greeting cards. They might make you feel like you "got something" for which you then have to "compensate" them for, to some extent, even if the items are worth zero or close to it. I'd imagine people to have grown more cynical over the years.. but the fact the organizations still send these things out means it's still working. Direct marketing is very very scientific these days.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Because it would bog down their operations and be too costly. In other words protest using their own prepaid envelope.
One guy I knew put lead plates in the envelopes to increase the postage costs on the prepaid ones. That's hard-core.