Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

My perspective on scary movies is a little weird, so bear with me (please?).

I don't like ANY of them. Life is scary enough, without intentionally trying to get even more scared at scary movies (where one ostensibly goes to enjoy an escape). I am probably the only person in the Western world who has never seeen any of the Friday the 13th movies.

I do like some of the old classics, like the original Dracula, because they do not scare me and they are interesting, beautiful, and artistic. This scene is fabulous, IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I don't like ANY of them. Life is scary enough, without intentionally trying to get even more scared at scary movies (where one ostensibly goes to enjoy an escape). I am probably the only person in the Western world who has never seen any of the Friday the 13th movies.
(snip)
I'm no fan of scary movies, either, and for the same reason. I don't like being frightened--why on earth would I deliberately watch movies that are intended to produce fear? I've also never seen the Friday the 13th series. I do differentiate between scary movies, which I don't like, and thrillers or action/adventure films, which I often enjoy. The latter may feature dare-devilry and hairsbreadth escapes, but there's never any real doubt that when the dust clears, the protagonist will emerge relatively unscathed, and the good guys will prevail. Indy never goes all the way over the cliff or gets bitten by the snakes, and he always manages to evade or escape from the villains, foil their nefarious plans, and bag another priceless artifact for the museum.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I'm no fan of scary movies, either, and for the same reason. I don't like being frightened--why on earth would I deliberately watch movies that are intended to produce fear? I've also never seen the Friday the 13th series. I do differentiate between scary movies, which I don't like, and thrillers or action/adventure films, which I often enjoy. The latter may feature dare-devilry and hairsbreadth escapes, but there's never any real doubt that when the dust clears, the protagonist will emerge relatively unscathed, and the good guys will prevail. Indy never goes all the way over the cliff or gets bitten by the snakes, and he always manages to evade or escape from the villains, foil their nefarious plans, and bag another priceless artifact for the museum.
+1 We are of one mind on this, and you are probably the only person I have ever "met" who thinks the same way I do about it. How cool!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bambi scared the hell outta me.....but, then again, I scare easily.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don't like ANY of them. Life is scary enough, without intentionally trying to get even more scared at scary movies (where one ostensibly goes to enjoy an escape). I am probably the only person in the Western world who has never seeen any of the Friday the 13th movies.

I do like some of the old classics, like the original Dracula, because they do not scare me and they are interesting, beautiful, and artistic. This scene is fabulous, IMO.
How about The Shining? Very scary but also artistic in many parts thanks in large part to the great story written by Stephen King and the direction of Stanley Kubrick. And that performance by Jack Nicholson!
Check out the opening credits below. Nothing scary, I promise! Just that sense of foreboding that often pulls me into a well-made horror movie:
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Bambi scared the hell outta me.....but, then again, I scare easily.
Me too, when I was little. But then, I cried when the witch (in Snow White) went over the cliff. I felt so sorry for her, old and unloved. And what a frightening, hideous fate. I was overly sensitive as a child, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Check out the opening credits below. Nothing scary, I promise!
Beautiful scenery, I agree. But unfortunately I read the book, so I know what's coming and it's scary!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Beautiful scenery, I agree. But unfortunately I read the book, so I know what's coming and it's scary!
I'll check back in later on the book W2R. While I love The Shining movie, I never read the book but am now about 60 pages into it. I was inspired to pick it up from the library after finishing 11/22/63 which I loved. Put me in a Stephen King kinda mood. That plus the feel of fall in the air with the leaves turning and pumpkins everywhere for sale.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Going to the Sun Road with Wild Goose Island. Also used for the end of the theatrical release of Blade Running (the Happy Ever After Ending).

Based on a real room in the Stanley Hotel which you can rent.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me too, when I was little.
No, no...I saw it last week!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
No, no...I saw it last week!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

With Halloween almost upon us, here is an interesting article about the relationship of successful horror movies to economic conditions.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/colu...39123-Oct2012/

I am generally not a fan of horror movies. But a couple of years ago I went into the wrong movie theatre by mistake and found myself watching Paranormal 2. I was suitably terrified!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote