Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Other than some exhilerating big water experience on the old WW2 destroyer Mansfield during that Vietnam thing, my best stories involve canoes. My gal and i and a lady friend of ours were canoing down the Willamette one summer day - think flat smallish river winding through farmland, cottonwoods on the banks, little islands and channels. I was in the back, steering and using my Navy experience and male chromosome advantage to direct our path. We were taking advantage of a bit of quicker water near the bank and cutting through little whirlpools when ahead of me i saw a fallen tree in the water. A portion was above the edge of the water, then there was a submerged section, then it re-emerged and got all branchy and brushy. Now this was a pretty boring flat river, so i first considered going under the tree close to the bank - the closer we got, the more evident it was that while the canoe might get under we would all have to be laying flat - that was not likely to make the others real happy with my captaining. Decided there would be adequate excitement if we shot through the section over the submerged trunk.

I still think that might have worked. Several things conspired against us. (1) we were making good progress downstream. (2) it would be more exciting if i didn't tell the others we were going to shoot the gap. (3) the others had functional brains and good survival instincts. Result was that as i tried to steer us away from shore and toward the gap my honey and her girlfriend got big eyed and dug in with their paddles to go around the tree. We ended up going into the limbs of the tree sideways to the current. Came to an abrupt stop and the bottom of the canoe tried to climb the limbs, which put the open hull of the canoe in a somewhat submerged postition pointing upstream. It filled and wrapped around the limb in about a 1/4 second. I am a confirmed skinny non-swimmer. Somehow i managed to go from left shoulder about to touch water to standing on top of the tree limbs. Levitation i think - sort of like when you try and drop a cat in a bathtub.

Looked around and my honey was out at the branch tips retrieving gear - she swims like a happy cork and was gathering icechests and hats and paddles and wine bottles and holding and grabbing and i guess gripping the branch tips with her toes. Our friend's head & shoulders were above water upstream of the canoe. Pulled her up and we all gathered on the trunk to plan. With a fair amount of work we were able to slide the canoe along the branch till it popped free - we had tied a 1/4" 20' sisal rope to the bow that my gal had found out in the branches - the canoe floated free, swung around, .. and broke the line and headed downstream. I was wearing a lifejacket - we all went in the water - friend headed for shore, honey struck out for the canoe, and i figured i would drift downstream, with luck lodging at the same point as the canoe...
Wow....great story, glad noone got hurt. I suppose a canoe IS a boat, maybe I will share a few of my own.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

This is a pic taken several years ago in Canada. DH and his best friend were attempting to help some other guys that had tipped their canoe. Unfortunately, their canoe tipped on the way to the rescue. The one waving is DH's friend...the smaller blob in the pic is DH.

Everything worked out ok. They can laugh about it now, but it wasn't funny then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canada.jpg (198.9 KB, 12 views)

Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Ok.....a canoe story, from when I was 8 years old.......

Dad volunteered with my Webelos pack. We had a camping trip in a campground on the shore of the Milwaukee River. We set up camp and it started pouring. the weatherman said there was a 40% chance of rain, so noone thought much of it. As it turned out, it was one of those 3 inch rainfalls.

By the time we got up, the river was running FAST and high. 3 miles downstream there was what we were told was a 7 foot waterfall, and we would get out and carry the canoes around and put them back in.

As luck would have it, the current was running about 4 mph and we got near the waterfall pretty fast. My dad was in the very back, steering the canoe, and me and another kid were in the middle and front. I was paddling in the middle, when Dad told me to steer for the shore. Unfortunately there was a big logjam of canoes and there was no place to go as we were getting pulled toward the waterfall and the rapid below.

My Dad thought it was better to brave the falls than risk capsizing the canoe in the frigid fast running water, so he says HOLD ON!! , and makes for the waterfall. In our 17 foot Grumman canoe, we went over the falls to the amazement of the pack leader. My Dad did a marvelous job of steering and we shot the rapids, all the time the other kid and I were crying and freaking out and no helping.........

As we get to some quieter water, all my dad says is; Hmm, that waterfall was more like 10 feet high......wasn't that fun??

Later, on the way home, he told me when he lived in Northern Wisconsin, he had many Indian friends on the reservation, and they showed him how to shoot rapids and stuff in HOMEMADEthey carved themselves. Whether that is true or not, my old man sure knows a lot about canoes and boats and things.......

Old 03-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If we're expanding the definition of boat, how about a white water raft story?

This was when I was 20-something, stupid, afraid of nothing, and went with a group of friends to raft Thompson's canyon in Colorado. Back then the industry wasn't well regulated, and they would take anyone out almost any time. Including this time, which was an early summer day after a heavy snow year, so the river was running extremely high and fast.

None of us had ever set foot inside a raft before. They offered a trip where you could just sit and let a pro paddle, but that wasn't for us. We took the trip where we each had to paddle, particularly since the guide riding the back of our raft turned out to be another 20-something in a very small bikini (oh, the memories ). But that's another story.

So we start paddling, following her commands, 1 right, 2 left, etc, meaning the number of paddle strokes to the left or right. We did great in calm water, though half the time we were looking to the back. Then the rapids began, small at first, then bigger and bigger, so big that we actually began looking at the rapids instead of the guide. The commands came faster and faster, 1 right, 1 left, 2 left left left!!! The raft was really moving up and down, side to side in those rapids, with water splashing all around. The water temp was probably in the 40s though we were working too hard to notice.

We eventually reached the Big One, forget what it was called, but it had some nasty name, the biggest water hole in the river. As we neared it the guide yelled louder and louder and by then we were like robots following her commands as the hole got closer and closer .. 2 RIGHT!!! 1 LEFT!!! then... nothing. Just silence. I looked back and ... no guide! The guide had flipped out of the raft and was floating along about 4 boat lengths behind us. That's when we panicked.

We each had our ideas about how to get through the hole. Those who thought we should paddle right, paddled right, and those who thought we should paddle left paddled left. We were about evenly divided, so we went down the middle and right into that hole where we all did a sort of back flip as the raft went into the hole, got sucked into it, flipped back and started a sort of washing machine motion. In fact, we all did, except for the guide whom I saw shooting past the hole and down river.

At least we had our life jackets on, but we were getting sucked in and out of the cold water, and what a strong current and undertow! The raft somehow managed to pop out of the hole, and so did 2 or 3 other guys but the other 3 or 4 of us were stuck inside the washing machine for what seemed like forever, though it was probably only less than a minute. I managed to grab one guy for a while then lost him again, and someone grabbed me but lost me, and then we started going around and around rather than up and down, and saw some rocks that we wedged ourselves into and freed ourselves little by little, and managed to leave the hole and began floating down river.

We began swimming to the bank as we floated, and eventually came to slow moving water and we all made it safely, even the raft. It was then we realized just how cold it was, we were all shivering and going hypothermic. So we went and gathered some wood from the banks and with the help of a kit on the raft we started a fire and got warm. Stayed on the bank for an hour or so before we were warm enough to get back in the raft, go down to the pullout, and finally feel safe.

That was one close call, but thinking back about it, what a rush! Or was it the guide that made it worthwile?

Edit: Time fogs memories of names and places. This wasn't Thompson's canyon, it was Brown's canyon on the Arkansas river in Colorado (Thomson's canyon is another story). And the Big One was called Seidel's suckhole -- great name, I can vouch for its sucking power. Here's a link to one of the outfitters but keep in mind these guys are regulated now, not like back then when we were all nuts.
http://www.arkansasrivertours.com/ar...ver-browns.htm
Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post

This was when I was 20-something, stupid, afraid of nothing, and went with a group of friends to raft Thompson's canyon in Colorado. Back then the industry wasn't well regulated, and they would take anyone out almost any time. Including this time, which was an early summer day after a heavy snow year, so the river was running extremely high and fast.

None of us had ever set foot inside a raft before. They offered a trip where you could just sit and let a pro paddle, but that wasn't for us. We took the trip where we each had to paddle, particularly since the guide riding the back of our raft turned out to be another 20-something in a very small bikini (oh, the memories ). But that's another story.

So we start paddling, following her commands, 1 right, 2 left, etc, meaning the number of paddle strokes to the left or right. We did great in calm water, though half the time we were looking to the back. Then the rapids began, small at first, then bigger and bigger, so big that we actually began looking at the rapids instead of the guide. The commands came faster and faster, 1 right, 1 left, 2 left left left!!! The raft was really moving up and down, side to side in those rapids, with water splashing all around. The water temp was probably in the 40s though we were working too hard to notice.

We eventually reached the Big One, forget what it was called, but it had some nasty name, the biggest water hole in the river. As we neared it the guide yelled louder and louder and by then we were like robots following her commands as the hole got closer and closer .. 2 RIGHT!!! 1 LEFT!!! then... nothing. Just silence. I looked back and ... no guide! The guide had flipped out of the raft and was floating along about 4 boat lengths behind us. That's when we panicked.

We each had our ideas about how to get through the hole. Those who thought we should paddle right, paddled right, and those who thought we should paddle left paddled left. We were about evenly divided, so we went down the middle and right into that hole where we all did a sort of back flip as the raft went into the hole, got sucked into it, flipped back and started a sort of washing machine motion. In fact, we all did, except for the guide whom I saw shooting past the hole and down river.

At least we had our life jackets on, but we were getting sucked in and out of the cold water, and what a strong current and undertow! The raft somehow managed to pop out of the hole, and so did 2 or 3 other guys but the other 3 or 4 of us were stuck inside the washing machine for what seemed like forever, though it was probably only less than a minute. I managed to grab one guy for a while then lost him again, and someone grabbed me but lost me, and then we started going around and around rather than up and down, and saw some rocks that we wedged ourselves into and freed ourselves little by little, and managed to leave the hole and began floating down river.

We began swimming to the bank as we were floated, and and eventually came to slow moving water and we all made it safely, even the raft. It was then we realized just how cold it was, we were all shivering and going hypothermic. So we went and gathered some wood from the banks and with the help of a kit on the raft we started a fire and got warm. Stayed on the bank for an hour or so before we were warm enough to get back in the raft, go down to the pullout, and finally feel safe.

That was one close call, but thinking back about it, what a rush! Or was it the guide that made it worthwile?
WOW!!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey...what about inner tubes? My top came off and I spilled my beer....
Old 03-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Got the photos?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Delaware river, I was in a one-man raft ahead of and filming the big six-man raft with my friends in it. I came to a big standing wave, and my raft started surfing it, such that I stayed one place. The big raft was coming for me, hit me and it flipped over, and I got it all on film.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years back my sister and her family and my family rented some cottages on a lake in northern Michigan. Borrwed a friends ski boat for the week. The first day my BIL takes the boat out with my then 3 year old son with him, of course full speed, my BIL drops his-ahem- beverage on the bottom of the boat-reaches down for it and promptly the boat turns 90 degrees. BIL flys out of the boat, I on shore have visions of the boat continuing to cross the 5 mile lake with my son in it.Amazingly the boat slowed down and started to circle. BIL climbs back in the boat and comes back to shore no worse for wear. Wives were none too happy.3year old son thought it was great. Scary yes,dumb even more so. Al
Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got the photos?
No cameras were allowed on those adventures....

.....at least none that I am aware of.........uh oh.....
Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

As a wise man would say. This thread is useless without pics. Too bad about the beer What kind of beer did you spill?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Floating down various rivers of the Missouri Ozarks in a canoe with a few friends and a lot of beer figured very prominently in my [mid and] late teens and throughout my 20's. It was on one of these rivers that I came very close to dying....

Late in the afternoon (which meant many, many beers into the day), I decided it was time for me to swim. We were floating over a deep, clear hole. So, I stood up in the canoe and dove into the water (much to the surprise of my canoe partner). The water was crystal clear and cool; so, I'm swimming along 8 to 10 feet under water really enjoying myself until my chest starts burning for lack of air. Then, I start swimming for the surface. As I break the surface of the water and take a deep breath, I get a brief glimpse of a canoe paddling hard down river....The next thing I know, I am on the river bank with a group of people standing around me.

Apparently, I had surfaced right in front of a canoe that was paddling hard to get off the river because they were ready to be done for the day. That canoe and I collided, knocking me out cold. As I sank below the water and the canoe passed over me, the guy in the back reached down and grabbed my hair to pull me back up and then they towed me to the river bank behind their canoe. I never was able to piece together how long I was unconscious. But, it was definitely long enough for a crowd to gather.

I have no idea how I lived though my indestructible years. Something about God protecting drunks and fools I guess.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Floating down various rivers of the Missouri Ozarks in a canoe with a few friends and a lot of beer figured very prominently in my [mid and] late teens and throughout my 20's. It was on one of these rivers that I came very close to dying....

Late in the afternoon (which meant many, many beers into the day), I decided it was time for me to swim. We were floating over a deep, clear hole. So, I stood up in the canoe and dove into the water (much to the surprise of my canoe partner). The water was crystal clear and cool; so, I'm swimming along 8 to 10 feet under water really enjoying myself until my chest starts burning for lack of air. Then, I start swimming for the surface. As I break the surface of the water and take a deep breath, I get a brief glimpse of a canoe paddling hard down river....The next thing I know, I am on the river bank with a group of people standing around me.

Apparently, I had surfaced right in front of a canoe that was paddling hard to get off the river because they were ready to be done for the day. That canoe and I collided, knocking me out cold. As I sank below the water and the canoe passed over me, the guy in the back reached down and grabbed my hair to pull me back up and then they towed me to the river bank behind their canoe. I never was able to piece together how long I was unconscious. But, it was definitely long enough for a crowd to gather.

I have no idea how I lived though my indestructible years. Something about God protecting drunks and fools I guess.
Man, you were really lucky........ I almost drowned when I was 7.......

Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
This Thread is USELESS without pics.........
Agreed