Join Early Retirement Today

SCHLUTER KERDI Questions.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

SCHLUTER KERDI Questions.

I'm in the planing and purchasing stages of redoing two bathrooms, one I'm going to keep the bathtub and the other replace the tub with only a stand up shower.

I going with a membrane since I want this shower/tub to last much longer then the builders. I'm looking into either the Schluter kerdi for the walls of the shower. I've found that the going price in stores is around $2.00per sq. ft. and online in the States is around $1.25 per sq. ft. plus shipping. I've seen it on ebay for less then $1.00 per sq. ft. plus shipping.

Anyone have any experience with this product or recommend a better brand and can share....... whether it be the purchase or installation?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
gone traveling

Shower Products from Noble Company

Ooops, a naked link- and in a thread about showers!
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Schluter kerdi is an easy to install product and will waterproof your shower as fine as any product.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Noble Wall Seal
It seems to be at the same price point as Kerdi, any reason you're recommending Noble over Schluter? It's not presently sold on Ebay therefore it's actually higher priced then Schluter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
Schluter kerdi is an easy to install product and will waterproof your shower as fine as any product.
I haven't gotten indepth with kerdi so I only have a basic understanding of it's installation procedure.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
It seems to be at the same price point as Kerdi, any reason you're recommending Noble over Schluter? It's not presently sold on Ebay therefore it's actually higher priced then Schluter.
Full range of products- liners, membranes, inside/outside corners, curbs, niches, seats, waterproofing, etc... years of proven performance.

and the biggest reason:

"Noble Company is an American company, headquartered in Michigan. We manufacture our products at two facilities in the USA. All of our sheet membranes (e.g. Chloraloy®, NobleSeal®, and Noble DeckTM) are made in our plant in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Noble shower accessories (ProBase™, PRO-SLOPE™, Noble Shower Benches, Niches and Curbs) and antifreeze products (NOBURST® and FireFighter®) are produced at our plant in Spring Lake, Michigan.

Noble Company was established in 1946. We are one of the world’s leading suppliers of sheet membranes for waterproofing under tile and stone installations. We are also a leader in the development and sales of non toxic antifreeze for wet fire sprinkler systems, radiant heating systems and a variety of other applications.

Noble Company is proud of our reputation for quality products and service, and we will continue to make products in America.
Sincerely,

Richard M. Maurer"
Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never used it (yet), but you could spend hours researching all sorts of tips, experiences, etc. over at Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - Powered by vBulletin
if you don't get any users of it here.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used Kerdi in my bathroom. It is easy to install but that doesn't mean you'll find contractors that know anything about it. It's a superior product to backer board.

Don't forget to get some tape and corner pieces too.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I used Kerdi (and lots of advice from the John Bridge forums) in our master bath shower, which I remodeled four years ago. The Kerdi drain is a key component to the Kerdi system and makes installation fairly easy. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Full range of products- liners, membranes, inside/outside corners, curbs, niches, seats, waterproofing, etc... years of proven performance.
I found a source for Kerdi on Ebay that would make it much lower in price then Noble. So far I haven't heard anything bad about either one so unless there is an clear advantage of Noble over Schluter it seems that Kerdi will be the one due to a much lower price. I think I can get it for .70 cents a sq. ft. shipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I've never used it (yet), but you could spend hours researching all sorts of tips, experiences, etc. over at Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - Powered by vBulletin
if you don't get any users of it here.
I came across that forum when doing a google search and spend too much time reading that it gave me a headache. Good information so I must go back and read more another day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
I used Kerdi in my bathroom. It is easy to install but that doesn't mean you'll find contractors that know anything about it. It's a superior product to backer board.

Don't forget to get some tape and corner pieces too.
I will be doing the installation myself and will use cement board behind the membrane. I noticed the write up on the corner tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
I used Kerdi (and lots of advice from the John Bridge forums) in our master bath shower, which I remodeled four years ago. The Kerdi drain is a key component to the Kerdi system and makes installation fairly easy. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
It doesn't seem too difficult but there seems to be a process that you have to use to ensure a watertight system. Wooow I couldn't believe the drain package was over $100.00.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #10

Update:

I just bought enought Schluter Kerdi to redo two bathroom and am having it shipped to the States for pick up.

I joined the John Bridge Ceramic Tile Forum so he goes the learning experience.

Thanks folks.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Update:

I just bought enought Schluter Kerdi to redo two bathroom and am having it shipped to the States for pick up.

I joined the John Bridge Ceramic Tile Forum so he goes the learning experience.

Thanks folks.
This thread is USELESS without pics.... of the finished project.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

yes i put backer board behind the membrane since waterproofing is the objective...
Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
This thread is USELESS without pics.... of the finished project.
Project won't start till I have all the items and that should be in at the begining of March. Each bathroom should take about 1 month (if dw has her way). If interested I will post pictures once done........ since progress pictures tend to be boring for most.