Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two of my favorites are Scapa and Oban. Both are very good at the $50-$60 price range.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are not a big Scotch drinker some of the very peaty highland/island single malts can be difficult. So to try something a little friendlier look at some lowland malts and Irish whiskey.

Glenkinchie
Glengoyne (half way between highland and lowland)

Bushmills Black Bush won't hurt the wallet too much

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
New neighbor , likes Scotch... Me, not so much. Any recommendations that won't break the bank but will please a true Scotch drinker? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
If you are not a big Scotch drinker some of the very peaty highland/island single malts can be difficult.
I think that we can assume that the person in question is a Scotch drinker but I do agree with your statement.

It really all depends on the neighbor's particular taste so a quick sneak at what he drinks might give a good idea of the style he likes.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New neighbor , likes Scotch... Me, not so much. Any recommendations that won't break the bank but will please a true Scotch drinker? Thanks
Despite the many recommendations (mostly reflecting personal taste or popular middle of the road single malts) - what you're asking is really not possible IMO. And we'd have to know what 'break the bank' means to you - some folks would consider any single malt expensive - most start at $30-40/750ml and go up from there.

A "true Scotch drinker" will most likely have preferences, and Scotch can vary wildly from blended to single malt, and the regional differences are considerable. I am/was a true Scotch drinker, but my favorite Scotch is Lagavulin (Islay) - way too peaty for most Scotch lovers. DW drinks Balvenie Doublewood almost exclusively. Of course I would be grateful/touched to receive a bottle of a mainstream single malt like Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12 but if you're hoping to make an impression beyond the kindness of gift (certainly meaningful in itself)...

I would ask the neighbor's spouse confidentially or take the opportunity to see what the neighbor is already drinking and go from there. Or invite him/her over and offer a Scotch, and then casually ask what their brand(s) is. We could probably help with a little more insight. If that's not possible, an entry level Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are very safe choices - relatively mild mannered but good. Sorta like giving quality vanilla or chocolate ice cream to a 'true ice cream lover'...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #25

In Glasgow, there's a little 6 room hotel where the owner/night manager is one of the nation's experts on Scotch. With his back turned he can name the brand, year, name of every bottle of Scotch in his bar.
We tried to stump him one night....we don't remember what happened after the 10th glass but up until that point he was spot on; even on the more esoteric ones.

Now........with ice? water? or neat? I believe that good, single malt should not be diluted and had straight; in a snifter. Just me
Old 11-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 for Highland Park 12, I enjoy several others too, but like this quote:

"I strongly recommend that the Scotch single malt be "approached" in the same manner that one would a member of the opposite sex that may intrigue you. An open mind, patience, sincere attention to detail and an opportunity for it to reveal and exhibit its unique special qualities may disclose an "individual" whose company you can enjoy on many occasions. It could also be that you will meet that individual who you will want to spend a lifetime with."

12 to 18 year old whiskies are usually a sweet spot taste and $$ wise
When still working I usually spent half the year in Japan, enjoyed many of their single malts. I also tried Hibiki 12 & 17 which is a Japanese blended whisky, surprise, blended whisky can be quite enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scotch Flavormap.jpg (56.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting thread (and thanks to springnr for posting that chart). I have tried many on that chart but this gives me a good spring board to expand my collection.

My first scotch I ever tried was Lagavulin 16. It took me about 3 years to try a scotch again! It is an acquired taste for sure. Second time I tried a Glenlivet 12 and it was better. My wife knew I was interested in scotch and got me a Glenmorangie 18 for Christmas one year and I was hooked after that.

I even went back and did the Lagavulin and enjoyed it the second time! I have never ordered a scotch though at a bar as I can't pronounce half of them! I prefer mine neat, but I have on occasion put a splash of water in them, but generally prefer it neat.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I usually drink good single malts neat, but that's not necessarily how it's 'supposed to be done,' it's still subject to some controversy. While it's easy to find credible experts who insist on 'neat,' you can just as easily find many bonafide experts, and even many native Scotch producers, who advocate a splash of water (not ice) to open up the flavor of Scotch. Depends largely on the alcohol content (e.g. cask strength), a splash isn't necessary for lower alcohol Scotch.

Here's but one of many:
Quote:
1. The experts drink whisky with water. You can toss out any notion that real men drink Scotch room-temperature and neat, or that a splash of water will somehow mar a single malt's perfection. Water actually opens up the flavors of Scotch, which is why professionals like Winchester add in a few drops before tasting.
Scotch Drinking Tips - Insider's Guide to Scotch from Glenlivet

Scotch recommendation
Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #29

Scotch recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Despite the many recommendations (mostly reflecting personal taste or popular middle of the road single malts) - what you're asking is really not possible IMO. And we'd have to know what 'break the bank' means to you - some folks would consider any single malt expensive - most start at $30-40/750ml and go up from there.

A "true Scotch drinker" will most likely have preferences, and Scotch can vary wildly from blended to single malt, and the regional differences are considerable. I am/was a true Scotch drinker, but my favorite Scotch is Lagavulin (Islay) - way too peaty for most Scotch lovers. DW drinks Balvenie Doublewood almost exclusively. Of course I would be grateful/touched to receive a bottle of a mainstream single malt like Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12 but if you're hoping to make an impression beyond the kindness of gift (certainly meaningful in itself)...

I would ask the neighbor's spouse confidentially or take the opportunity to see what the neighbor is already drinking and go from there. Or invite him/her over and offer a Scotch, and then casually ask what their brand(s) is. We could probably help with a little more insight. If that's not possible, an entry level Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are very safe choices - relatively mild mannered but good. Sorta like giving quality vanilla or chocolate ice cream to a 'true ice cream lover'...
Once upon a time I gave a present to a friend's dad. He was a beer drinker and so I bought him a case of what he normally drank. Then after we were drinking a couple it came out that the only reason he drank that brand was because he was retired and really couldn't afford a better one 😀. We had a good laugh about it, I would much rather have bought him one that he "couldn't afford"

Old 11-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #30

Pff... forget the scotch altogether. We Northerners have the Scots beat, didn'tcha hear ?

Scots Left Reeling as Canadian Whisky named Worlds Best
Scots left reeling as Canadian whisky named world's best

Not a big fan myself but then, what do I know. As you can see clearly, I drink something else...
Old 11-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #31

Quote:
I usually drink good single malts neat, but that's not necessarily how it's 'supposed to be done,' it's still subject to some controversy. While it's easy to find credible experts who insist on 'neat,' you can just as easily find many bonafide experts, and even many native Scotch producers, who advocate a splash of water (not ice) to open up the flavor of Scotch. Depends largely on the alcohol content (e.g. cask strength), a splash isn't necessary for lower alcohol Scotch.

Here's but one of many:

Some of the best Scotches I've had were cask strength. Don't know the names, but yes we did add a few drops of water to "open them up".

Old 11-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #32

Quote:

Here's but one of many:
I also used to drink it neat but had heard that the Scots drink it with a little water. When we moved to Scotland (Dumfries in the SW) I discovered that all the pubs had small jugs of room temperature water on the bar and all the locals put a splash into their scotch before drinking.

I also discovered that no matter when you visited someone they always offered you a "wee dram" and produced a jug of water for you to add a little to your drink. We lived there about 20 months and by the time we left I concluded that not only did the Scots never drink their scotch without water, they also never drank their water without scotch.

ETA
We have visited several distilleries in Scotland and they all recommend adding water, and provide water for use during the tasting sessions
Old 11-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

A Scot taught me how to appreciate scotch and he often added water to his dram. If the spirit is bottled at more than 40%, I add water. Just a few drops if it is bottled at 43-46%, and a good splash if it is bottled at cask strength. I think it helps to bring the flavors out.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Wow! You guys are more into this than different withdrawal techniques. I like most of the Islay Whiskys, but for the last 2 years I simplify life, save some money and gain pleasure by avoiding all spirits other than vodka and Cognac.

I have great associations with the common blends of my college years, Ballantines, Black and White with the cute Scotty dogs, and Teacher's Highland Cream.

Ha
Old 11-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #35

OP here... had no idea about the many kinds and nuances of scotch.. now I'm educated.... My DW asked his DW and his day to day scotch is Dewars, so I just got a bottle of the 12 year special. It's not a gift, it's just that I need to stock some scotch for their visits to our house.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OP here... had no idea about the many kinds and nuances of scotch.. now I'm educated.... My DW asked his DW and his day to day scotch is Dewars, so I just got a bottle of the 12 year special. It's not a gift, it's just that I need to stock some scotch for their visits to our house.
Good call. If he drinks Dewars White Label, he should appreciate the 12 year old.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Good call. If he drinks Dewars White Label, he should appreciate the 12 year old.
+1
Old 11-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #38

Macallan man myself. Bonus: my Costco sells both 12 and 18.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #39

Drinking single malts can be a bit snobby IMHO. Johnny Walker Black label is nice and the Gold is even better....never tasted the Green or the Blue.

Back in 1984 I went on a train trip around Scotland with my girlfriend and we stayed at a lot of railway hotels and drank the local whisky. One of my best memories is sitting outside the Lochalsh Hotel after dinner with her and a couple of Taliskers; The whiskey was good, the view was fantastic and so was the company.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I concluded that not only did the Scots never drink their scotch without water, they also never drank their water without scotch.
Good observation. They live a rich life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Scots Left Reeling as Canadian Whisky named Worlds Best
Scots left reeling as Canadian whisky named world's best.
Good catch! Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
for the last 2 years I simplify life, save some money and gain pleasure by avoiding all spirits other than vodka and Cognac.
I have recently replaced cognac with sipping whisky but otherwise same conclusion. (Costco sells a 6yo blended Cdn rye here in PV.) Plus a little red wine!
Quote:
Thanks