Join Early Retirement Today

Scott Burns: Turning 65
Old 11-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Scott Burns: Turning 65

Scott Burns reflects on turning 65 in his latest column, "View's Not Bad at Age 65".

Is it just me, or is he a little conflicted in his thinking....?

"I don't understand why most people are retired at this age. They can't all be golfers. I can afford to retire, but I still think work is fun and full of challenges. I don't expect the challenges to go away. I don't expect the fun to go away, either."

<snip>

"The greatest dilemma of continuing to work is fairly subtle, something you don't think about at 30: Every hour spent working is an hour lost to play.

And it is an hour from a cupboard that's looking a little bare. At 65, all your major warranties are void. This week a friend is recovering from heart surgery. Three other friends are recovering from prostate cancer treatment. As Gilda Radner said, 'It's always something.'"

But perhaps most interesting...

"[money] In the big picture, it is less important, not more important. Some will criticize this statement, noting that it's easy to say money isn't important when you have plenty of it.

But one of the true blessings of being older is that objects don't mean much."

http://tinyurl.com/aawky

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Scott Burns: Turning 65
Old 11-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I personally liked the story about his FIL. Now there's one old codger I would really like to identify with. Sounds like he enjoyed his retirement (and his 80th birthday). Besides, when you reach a certain age what difference does it make between staying alive and being miserable or having a few worldly enjoyments. He lived to 84. Hell, I'll be tickled to live to 70!!!!!!!!

Professor

Old 11-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #3

I think it was a good column, with some good stories and some real wisdom. About the conflicted thinking -- to me, the retirement decision itself is inherently conflicted. There are some clear advantages to continuing to work as long as you can, even if you are FI. OTOH, as Burns said, and as we all know, the clock is ticking mercilessly. Lots of life's important decisions are not black-and-white slam dunks. Retirement, especially ER, is an example.

HH
Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Scott Burns has proven to be a very experienced writer with a gift for articulating the issues that we really don't know how to discuss, and for simplifying horribly complicated lifestyle/money issues so that we can make an intelligent choice. After all those decades, the man's accomplishments speak for themselves.

Having said that, he's a clueless workaholic who needs to decide if he's going to grow up and be responsible for his own entertainment. By now he should have enough self-confidence to know that he's going to be writing for the rest of his life (Isaac Asimov, Erma Bombeck, Mike Wallace, Andy Rooney) or that he's going to be happily sailing away (Walter Cronkite). I hope this angst is just editorial license and not the way he really feels.

I've lost track of the issue. Is he taking SS yet?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Scott Burns reflects on turning 65 in his latest column, "View's Not Bad at Age 65".

Is it just me, or is he a little conflicted in his thinking....?

"I don't understand why most people are retired at this age. They can't all be golfers.* I can afford to retire, but I still think work is fun and full of challenges. I don't expect the challenges to go away. I don't expect the fun to go away, either."

<snip>

"The greatest dilemma of continuing to work is fairly subtle, something you don't think about at 30: Every hour spent working is an hour lost to play.

And it is an hour from a cupboard that's looking a little bare. At 65, all your major warranties are void. This week a friend is recovering from heart surgery. Three other friends are recovering from prostate cancer treatment.* As Gilda Radner said, 'It's always something.'"

But perhaps most interesting...

"[money] In the big picture, it is less important, not more important.* Some will criticize this statement, noting that it's easy to say money isn't important when you have plenty of it.

But one of the true blessings of being older is that objects don't mean much."

http://tinyurl.com/aawky
ReWahoo: *I can understand his confliction.

When I "pulled the pin" 19 years ago, at age 49, (a ridiculously early age at the time), we moved 600 miles away to a top fly-fishing area.
I have another bad habit. *(Tournament Golf).

Frankly, had I stayed in my old area, the temptation to do something "part-time" might have been over-whelming.

By moving and removing any net-working possibilities, I've been able to pursue being a
golf and fly-fishing "bum" pretty much unobstructed.

I also totally agree with Burns about the money angle.

I have mentioned a few times on this forum that
I have seen very few busted retirements due to "financial considerations", but quite a number due to boredom. *(At least have some idea how you are going to spend your considerable amount of free time.)

For me personally, it's been the best 19 years of my life. *The trick now is continuing.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Nords,

Don't be so hard on ol' Scott.

He is getting paid to do what he loves. (It must be nice.) Don't forget his exploratory trip to Mexico and his motorcycle diaries.

Cheers!

El Gitano

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote