Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
If you want to rail about inequality, rail about her getting to spend 3 days in special protective custody,
I think both the guards and the other prisoners felt that putting her in the general population would constitute cruel & unusual punishment... for the other prisoners...

Now I'm wondering what endorsements she'll get when she's out. A Prozac commercial?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Finland's punishments intrigue me. Fines are based on your income and net worth.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From what I saw on the news, her isolation from the general population consists of a special two person cell for 23 hours per day, and she's the only occupant. IOW, what she's really getting is solitary confinement. I'm sure she's a big reader, so that's probably not a problem.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hilton says she'll no longer `act dumb' - News - Yahoo! TV

So now the big question is . . . (drum roll) . . . how would she know that?
Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Too lite a sentence? I don't know. What do you think a person who was paralized by a drunken driver might say?
That prison set-up would be a clean step up for some (like the homeless) but for Paris Hilton, it’s cruel and unusual punishment: bad food, small room, no privacy. I think the judge(s) missed a great opportunity to sentence her to jail plus public service; maybe she could join the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers and speak at HS and college campuses, she would pack the room. If I were her agent....
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Hilton says she'll no longer `act dumb' - News - Yahoo! TV

So now the big question is . . . (drum roll) . . . how would she know that?
(rim shot)

But remember, that's just what her publicist told her to say.

Publicist: "...and tell them people should focus in the soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Hilton: "Af-gan-i-what?"

Publicist: "Oh, and say that your dumbness was an act."

Hilton: "OK. That's hot!"
Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Then theres no issue. Anyone caught driving on a DUI suspended license in california does jail time. Anyone. Extra time if you got caught TWICE and signed a document the first time acknowledging that you know it was wrong and that you will do jail time if you do it again. And you actually have to do the time, not get out in a couple of days because your $500/hr shrink made a case.

Nobody likes being in jail. Particularly alcoholic, drug abusing, moronic party girls. But most of them get to fulfill their sentence in genpop.

If you want to rail about inequality, rail about her getting to spend 3 days in special protective custody, followed by a day at home, followed by some time in the medical wing on prescription psychotropics. I can imagine a lot of other inmates would like to go that route...
Do you think maybe this two-bit traffic judge is just a teensy-weensy bit biased against Ms Hilton And that maybe he is seeking the spotlight? AFAIC, the fact that this judge felt compelled to put Ms Hilton back in prison after she was already released by the Sheriff PROVES he is biased against her.

In the end Paris Hilton is caught in a pissing match between the Sheriff's office (who run the prisons) and this judge. Personally, I feel that if a judge sentences someone to a prison term, that sentence should be carried out. I don't understand how the Sheriff's can decide to release people. But this is how they do it in LA LA LAnd. I am as troubled by the actions of the Sheriff's office as I am of the celebrity seeking judge! The whole system is wack!

As for Hilton receiving special treatment vis a vis her cell arrangements - the excessive cost is ridiculous and only bolsters my argument that she should have received electronic monitoring like anyone else would have.

Like I have stated previously, I am not condoning Hilton's behavior or defending it.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
From what I saw on the news, her isolation from the general population consists of a special two person cell for 23 hours per day, and she's the only occupant. IOW, what she's really getting is solitary confinement. I'm sure she's a big reader, so that's probably not a problem.
I read this as that she is her own worse punishment.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Do you think maybe this two-bit traffic judge is just a teensy-weensy bit biased against Ms Hilton And that maybe he is seeking the spotlight? AFAIC, the fact that this judge felt compelled to put Ms Hilton back in prison after she was already released by the Sheriff PROVES he is biased against her.
Thats the funny part. That she was released shows bias. Nobody else would have been sent home after 3 days because jail made them sad.

Quote:
As for Hilton receiving special treatment vis a vis her cell arrangements - the excessive cost is ridiculous and only bolsters my argument that she should have received electronic monitoring like anyone else would have.
Actually there isnt any evidence that anyone else would have been sent home after 3 days with a bracelet on. Like I've said a few times, its pretty much a given standard that you'll do 12 days on a 30 day sentence for driving on a suspended license...and thats a rare minimum.

In an example of how jail in CA is a happier experience for rich people, if you're willing to pay big bucks you can get home monitoring instead of jail time...but only for sentences of under 30 days in general.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #50

Latest development: According to the LA TIMES, Paris Hilton will serve more time than 80% of others booked on the same charges.
Quote:
The Times analyzed 2 million jail releases and found 1,500 cases since July 2002 that — like Hilton's — involved defendants who had been arrested for drunk driving and later sentenced to jail after a probation violation or driving without a license.

Had Hilton left jail for good after four days, her stint behind bars would have been similar to those served by 60% of those inmates.

But after a judge sent her back to jail Friday, Hilton's attorney announced that she would serve the full 23 days. That means that Hilton will end up serving more time than 80% of other people in similar situations.
Quote:
Before the early-release program began in 2002, inmates with cases similar to Hilton's were sentenced to terms that amounted to an average of 23 days, the same as Hilton is expected to serve. They actually served 20 days. After the program began, the average term was 14 days, with inmates actually serving an average of four days.

Because of the high media interest, Hilton was one of only a few inmates whose premature release received publicity — and the judge who originally sentenced her noticed. She is believed to be the first inmate in years who actually was sent back to jail to serve more of her term.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Thats the funny part. That she was released shows bias. Nobody else would have been sent home after 3 days because jail made them sad.
You are mistaken. See linked article - according to the LA Times report, the average time served since July of 2002, by non-violent offenders for a similar sentence in LA County jails is 4 days.

Quote:
The Times' analysis of jail releases found that more than 60% of those with cases similar to Hilton's walked free after serving less than half their time. Under the department's current guidelines, Hilton probably would have served even less time. Most nonviolent female offenders sentenced to less than 90 days are released immediately.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Alright, you've changed my mind. Its perfectly okay to drive drunk and when caught, keep driving on your suspended license...probably still drunk...and get off with a minimal sentence.

Did the LA times work up the data to show what the average sentence was for someone who got caught multiple times driving on a suspended license, who also signed a document noting that they shouldnt be doing it and would do jail time if caught again?

Did the 'return to jail' stats include people released prematurely in defiance of a court order?

Oh dear...I have no choice but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dilbert.JPG (26.6 KB, 0 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh dear...I have no choice but...
Yeah, you were out to get Martha Stewart too, you [insert Godwin's Law here].

I think the title of the Dilbert cartoon is "Constructive Confrontation"!

OK, time to start dinner.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Martha should still be in jail Now who was her defender....? Oh yeah, JG...

Thats it, you finished off the thread...
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Martha should still be in jail Now who was her defender....? Oh yeah, JG...
Thats it, you finished off the thread...
No, you just forced it in a different direction!

We haven't heard from JG for several months on Raddr's board, library computer or otherwise, while Paris Hilton has been unable to drive as much as she'd like. I've never ever seen the two of them in public at the same time. Do you suppose he's been driving back & forth between his Heartland "home" and his secret heiress identity in LA?

Whew, alert the media...

Old 06-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #56

Now for the judge's side of the story:
Quote:
An otherwise unassuming career jurist, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer found himself thrust into semi-celebrity last week when he sentenced Paris Hilton to jail.

Hilton and her spokespeople have since decried the 45-day sentence as unfairly harsh and out of step with her crime of repeatedly driving with a suspended license. Bloggers and celebrity watchers across the country have weighed in, alternately criticizing the ruling and applauding Sauer for standing up to Hilton's reckless ways and consequence-free lifestyle.
Full article: Unfazed by his judgment of Paris - Los Angeles Times