Join Early Retirement Today

Sculptor of Wall Street bull says 'fearless girl' horns in on his work
Old 04-13-2017, 01:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sculptor of Wall Street bull says 'fearless girl' horns in on his work

Sculptor Of Wall Street Bull Says 'Fearless Girl' Horns In On His Work
by Colin Dwyer

Arturo Di Modica is not happy that the Fearless Girl now staring down his Charging Bull has effectively turned it into a villain. He and his lawyer are now asking that the new statue be removed.

Sculptor Of Wall Street Bull Says 'Fearless Girl' Horns In On His Work : The Two-Way : NPR

I liked the fearless girl statue but agree that it's placement impacts the way one perceives the bull and perhaps it should be moved to the side instead of standing in front.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, the artist can fix that by putting "fearless boy" rodeo rider in the saddle of the bull...
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The thing is, the "Fearless Girl" is just an Advertisement for an INDEX FUND: "SHE"
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the "Fearless Girl" is striking some fear in the sculptor .
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

I can see his point, but I like it! I'm rooting for Fearless Girl" to stay where she is
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I can see his point, but I like it! I'm rooting for Fearless Girl" to stay where she is
I can see that, with respect to the world of puns, this is not your first rodeo.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have to agree with the artist....

We were there a few weeks ago and because of the fearless girl it looks like it is one piece of art which changes the meaning of the bull....

I think the girl should be moved someplace else...

And if they want to have her be 'fearless' they can do their own bull...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Administrator

I don't think an artist gets to choose what work of art is displayed adjacent to his or her own. The artist owns the work, not the display.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think the artist should get a life.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm seeing the girl is going to stop the bull (market). Is that the message the firm that put the girl there wants? It is an adorable statue--they should turn her around so she is leading the bull(market). Or give her a can of Pepsi to offer the bull. Or an umbrella--she looks like the Morton Salt girl.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I don't think an artist gets to choose what work of art is displayed adjacent to his or her own. The artist owns the work, not the display.
Especially, since he, apparently, just dropped HIS statue off in an un-permitted place back in 1989 and tried to get away with it....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I can see folks taking a selfie with "Fearless Girl" then say something like 'That bull is pretty cute too" and get the sculptor all upset.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In this case it might be true....

But, there are copyright laws etc. that might come into play... I do not know the legal aspects of this....

I do agree with the artist that it LOOKS like the girl is part of the same artwork which changes the meaning of the Bull....

Like I said earlier, move the girl and get her own bull.... there is a lot of room in that area where it does not have to move far... maybe 30 to 50 yards....

Now, I disagree strongly that people saying the girl should be moved are anti-woman... that is a big stretch to me....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 AM   #15

I think the girl portrays the wrong message to start with. The girl is going to stop a bull market is what the current setup looks like to me, giving the impression the artist is saying that girls/women are going to hurt the market/economy. I know that's not what was "intended", but it sure looks like it when I saw the arrangement.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm seeing the girl is going to stop the bull (market). Is that the message the firm that put the girl there wants? It is an adorable statue--they should turn her around so she is leading the bull(market). Or give her a can of Pepsi to offer the bull. Or an umbrella--she looks like the Morton Salt girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I think the girl portrays the wrong message to start with. The girl is going to stop a bull market is what the current setup looks like to me, giving the impression the artist is saying that girls/women are going to hurt the market/economy. I know that's not what was "intended", but it sure looks like it when I saw the arrangement.
I have heard of and seen pics of the girl statue and Wall Street Bull, but never really heard an explanation. But the two above seem reasonable. If she is facing the bull, trying to chase it off, I think we ALL need to put a whole bunch of fear in that little girl.

Give the choice of living through another 2008 market drop, or making a little girl cry and I'll rationalize it, it will be a "character building" moment for her, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Also, as DW just mentioned - I've had a real bull staring me down. You should be afraid and get to safety, they can hurt you! Wrong message, makes little girls seem dumb.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have heard of and seen pics of the girl statue and Wall Street Bull, but never really heard an explanation. But the two above seem reasonable. If she is facing the bull, trying to chase it off, I think we ALL need to put a whole bunch of fear in that little girl.

Give the choice of living through another 2008 market drop, or making a little girl cry and I'll rationalize it, it will be a "character building" moment for her, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Also, as DW just mentioned - I've had a real bull staring me down. You should be afraid and get to safety, they can hurt you! Wrong message, makes little girls seem dumb.

-ERD50
The explanation as I understand it is that it's supposed to be a girl standing up to the inequality of pay etc for women in the workforce with the girl representing equality for women against the bull representing the "tradition of inequality in the workforce".
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The explanation as I understand it is that it's supposed to be a girl standing up to the inequality of pay etc for women in the workforce with the girl representing equality for women against the bull representing the "tradition of inequality in the workforce".
The myth that refuses to die...that there are businesses that pay women less than men for doing the same job.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
The myth that refuses to die...that there are businesses that pay women less than men for doing the same job.
Yep - it was true at one time, no longer.

IIRC, more women are now graduating from college than men. Do we need to have a "Men's March"?

Unfortunately, a gullible public has been manipulated on this issue. I could point out several speeches from prominent people that follow this format:

" A study shows that women make 77 cents on the dollar compared to men" [end of sentence, next sentence]:

" We need to fight for equal pay for equal work for women!" [end of sentence, next sentence]:

" We will no longer tolerate the inequality of women making 77 cents on the dollar compared to men"
[end of sentence].
The manipulation there is they make it appear that sentence #2 is related to sentences #1 and #3, and that the study shows that the 77 cent figure is for equal jobs. The study referenced was not about "equal pay for equal work", it was simply a study of pay for men and women who work more than 30 hours a week. The studies that are done for equal jobs show almost zero difference (probably with a margin for error for any kind of study like this), especially for recent hires, in fact it might even be reversed at this point.

That's a very dangerous kind of bias, one that people don't even realize is being thrown at them.

And be careful what you wish for. A good part of the difference in hourly wage is because, traditionally, men take more high paying, but dangerous jobs (construction, roofing, etc). So if we want equal pay for women, are we saying we want more women injured on the job? I'd say this evidence, like the song says "Woman is smarter than man in every way!".

The Whitehouse was confronted on this "equal pay" issue a few years back - turns out the women on the Whitehouse staff made less than the men! And the press secretary babbled on about time in the position, experience , etc, etc, accounts for the difference. Exactly!

edit to add: My two daughters are now in the work force. There is ZERO difference in pay for men/women in those jobs. In one case, it's a municipal position, pay is made public, and regulated by contract. There is nothing in the contract that states "Male/Female" for pay levels. My other daughter is making good money as a nurse, a traditional female job, but it pays well. She's not complaining.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
Administrator

I thought this thread was about art?