Join Early Retirement Today

Second home sale capital gain and ACA
Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Second home sale capital gain and ACA

We are seriously looking at selling our Lake house next spring and factoring that into our ACA plan choice. Since it is a second home it looks like we would owe 15% Capital Gains on the profit since we have owned it for several years. The profit on the sale will raise our MAGI well above any subsidy level. If I am understanding this correctly we will owe 15% tax on the income plus lose our subsidy for they year. Since we are able to control our taxable income we usually get a big subsidy.

Given the above I am looking at the lowest cost insurance option and hoping for no big medical issues next year. I would appreciate in tax guidance or ideas the group can share for this situation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your conclusion that you would owe capital gains tax and you would not be eligible for a subsidy seems sound.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Given the above I am looking at the lowest cost insurance option and hoping for no big medical issues next year. I would appreciate in tax guidance or ideas the group can share for this situation.
That additional cap gain also means a smaller medical expense deduction. An HSA eligible policy will at least give you an above the line exemption from income of $3350 individual / $6350 family, plus an additional $1K per person over age 55.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

For others that might fall into this situation it looks like an installment sale would be the way to go. It's paid for so certainly possible if we can work with the buyer.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
gone traveling

My extremely elderly mom sold her home in 2011, she got slapped with a bigger social security monthly deduction, it went on for a year it was part of the obamacare surcharge. She had to suk it up for 12 months and then it went away.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinnyc View Post
My extremely elderly mom sold her home in 2011, she got slapped with a bigger social security monthly deduction, it went on for a year it was part of the obamacare surcharge. She had to suk it up for 12 months and then it went away.
There was no "obamacare surcharge" in 2011 or 2012. Medicare B premiums were already subject to income levels, and the ACA froze the income levels through 2019, effectively removing inflation adjustment.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Michael, please don't confuse the situation by introducing facts. Don't you know it has to be Obamacare's fault?
This is what I was told
Old 11-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
gone traveling

This is what I was told

When I called social security on her behalf I was told due to ACA she had to pay a part D fee and as a high income earner she had to pay more for her part B, the poster was asking if selling a home with profits would count , in my experience it would,and btw even the President has called it Obamamacare
Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
For others that might fall into this situation it looks like an installment sale would be the way to go. It's paid for so certainly possible if we can work with the buyer.
Or if the real estate outlook looks good and the monthly numbers work-out (cash flow neutral or positive), you could just turn it over to a rental management company. Sell once you hit 65 without ACA impact at least.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
When I called social security on her behalf I was told due to ACA she had to pay a part D fee and as a high income earner she had to pay more for her part B, the poster was asking if selling a home with profits would count , in my experience it would,and btw even the President has called it Obamamacare
The only change to Medicare D from the ACA was to reduce the famous "donut hole" or cost sharing. ACA did not increase Medicare D premiums, which were in place long before the ACA was passed.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
gone traveling

She never paid 1 cent to part d , after the sale she paid for 12 months
Old 11-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
gone traveling

After 12 moths it went back down to 104.90 for b and zero for d
Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
gone traveling

And since you seem to have an obsession with my posts, I was answering the fellow who was thinking of selling a property if capital gains would count as income towards ACA, I'm my experience it affected social security that's what I was sharing
Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
And since you seem to have an obsession with my posts, I was answering the fellow who was thinking of selling a property if capital gains would count as income towards ACA, I'm my experience it affected social security that's what I was sharing
Please, no obsession, certainly nothing personal. Let's keep it respectful and friendly.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

retired, that "NY state of mind" won't get you very far here arguing with a moderator on the forum.

It appears to me you are confused/got bad info on your call to SS as to why your mom had those higher deductions on her SS check. The ACA/Obamacare reasoning doesn't hold water.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

+1 I'm certain that SS customer service reps never give callers a wrong answer, so who knows what really happened.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
gone traveling

Bad info or not she got banged for more money on a part b and a part d after the sale
Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
gone traveling

If told you what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I'm certain that SS customer service reps never give callers a wrong answer, so who knows what really happened.
.i told you what happened