Join Early Retirement Today

Secret Santa
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Secret Santa

Lots of folks are walking into Wal-Mart and paying off Christmas lay-away orders. While I wasn't prepared to spend $46,000, I was going to visit my local Wally World and write a check to pay off some unknown person's account, anonymously.

Then I saw something on Twitter about how many kids have hot lunch balances at their school and how they shouldn't have to worry about such things. So, I called the grade school where my kids attended and talked to the hot lunch lady who will apply my anonymous donation to several accounts.

Just a thought if you're looking for some warm fuzzies before Christmas.

Have you done anything like this? If so, share (if you want). My dad used to pay some or all of his tenants' light bills, if he felt like they were trying. He always cried when he told me about doing it.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a great idea!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I go into Wal-Mart this time of year and honestly the people I want to help out are the cashiers. Imagine putting up with all they have to put up with while standing on your feet for 8+ hours. And people poop in the electric shopping cart seats. Not by accident, they just poop when they need to poop.

If that doesn't drive one to save carefully for retirement I don't know what will.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

My wife and I have anonymously sent grocery store gift cards to people we know that are in need.

We also make a large annual donation to a local food bank around this time of year.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #5

I’ve sent anonymous gift cards to people who I know need help. This year, we have spent some money helping our local cat rescue. She’s been having a tough year.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote