Join Early Retirement Today

Security Experts are Recommending you Uninstall Adobe Flash
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Security Experts are Recommending you Uninstall Adobe Flash

We've gotten rid of Adobe Flash on all our computers at home. Adobe has released security fix after fix after fix in the past few weeks. Enough already!

I'd been running with it disabled for a over a week, so I know my main sites work no problem.

It's time to uninstall Adobe's Flash from your Mac - here's how
Quote:
Adobe has patched more than twenty Flash vulnerabilities in the last week — some of them days after active exploits were discovered in the wild — and issued over a dozen Flash Player security advisories since the beginning of this year. Flash has become such an information security nightmare that Facebook's Chief Security Officer called on Adobe to sunset the platform as soon as possible and ask browser vendors to forcibly kill it off.
Third Hacking Team Flash Zero-Day Found: Krebs on Security
Quote:
For the third time in a week, researchers have discovered a zero-day vulnerability in Adobe’s Flash Player browser plugin. Like the previous two discoveries, this one came to light only after hackers dumped online huge troves of documents stolen from Hacking Team — an Italian security firm that sells software exploits to governments around the world.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the post. I hate Adobe flash and have just removed it. Now to see what breaks.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Thanks for the post. I hate Adobe flash and have just removed it. Now to see what breaks.
+1

Interestingly, for the past several days, Safari has been running "hot" on my Macbook. I didn't track it specifically, but it started around the time I did the last Flash update. Now that I have uninstalled Flash, it's back to normal again. I tried identifying the process that was running up the CPU in Activity Monitor, but it was always just generic "Safari".

Edit: First thing that is broken is the feature here on ER.org that lets you watch a YouTube video within a post. But I just clicked the link at the top of the window and it went to YouTube directly which worked fine. Minor hassle.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
+1

Interestingly, for the past several days, Safari has been running "hot" on my Macbook. I didn't track it specifically, but it started around the time I did the last Flash update. Now that I have uninstalled Flash, it's back to normal again. I tried identifying the process that was running up the CPU in Activity Monitor, but it was always just generic "Safari".

Edit: First thing that is broken is the feature here on ER.org that lets you watch a YouTube video within a post. But I just clicked the link at the top of the window and it went to YouTube directly which worked fine. Minor hassle.
Embedded YouTube works on my iPad, and under the "Develop" menu for Safari you can tell it to mimic iPad instead of desktop. I think you have to go somewhere in Safari preferences to turn on the Develop menu.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is the vulnerability just for Flash or also Adobe Shockwave?

And, what about Flash internal to Chrome? Is that vulnerable as well?
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I decided maybe the OP is right about this. So using the Firefox browser on my PC, I found that one can choose an Ask-to-activate option. This will allow me to check out my usage of the Adobe Flash player which I suspect is very rare. Eventually I may uninstall it.

To do this just click on the 3 horizontal bar symbol (far right on my browser) and select:
Add-ons -> Plugins -> Shockwave Flash
and then set the button to Ask-to-activate

From my web search, Adobe Flash player and Shockwave Flash are the same. See: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1037000
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Is the vulnerability just for Flash or also Adobe Shockwave?

And, what about Flash internal to Chrome? Is that vulnerable as well?
There are some answers in the linked articles - Chrome is discussed.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Embedded YouTube works on my iPad, and under the "Develop" menu for Safari you can tell it to mimic iPad instead of desktop. I think you have to go somewhere in Safari preferences to turn on the Develop menu.
I have the Develop menu active already, so I tried this (neat feature - didn't know it existed before!) but the embedded video still isn't working. Will tinker a bit when I have some time to experiment. Thanks for the tip.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Various attack vectors are present in both "Flash" and the "Shockwave" broswer plug-in.

We've disabled these and deleted all the relevant files from our systems.

Sadly, MIL insists that she has to have her Flash plugin, so she doesn't see the scary messages when some ads don't work on pages she frequents. I'm going to try to get her to document and set her various accounts up such that we can swap out payment mechanisms when the inevitable happens.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I have the Develop menu active already, so I tried this (neat feature - didn't know it existed before!) but the embedded video still isn't working. Will tinker a bit when I have some time to experiment. Thanks for the tip.
Hmm - thought that would work. Usually embedded YouTube works on my iPad.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks for the heads up!
Travelwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

I uninstalled adobe flash on my windows7 machine. Now YouTube does not work.

However, thanks for the heads up on the security issues. I might go without Youtube for a while.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #13

YouTube Working now.

Computers!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I decided maybe the OP is right about this. So using the Firefox browser on my PC, I found that one can choose an Ask-to-activate option. This will allow me to check out my usage of the Adobe Flash player which I suspect is very rare. Eventually I may uninstall it.

To do this just click on the 3 horizontal bar symbol (far right on my browser) and select:
Add-ons -> Plugins -> Shockwave Flash
and then set the button to Ask-to-activate

From my web search, Adobe Flash player and Shockwave Flash are the same. See: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1037000
That is the way to go. Initially I turned on the Ask-to-activate feature so that I wouldn't have to look at the 100's of previews being pushed to my browser.

But, as some will find out when they uninstall or disable flash, there are certain web sites which use flash for interactive graphs, for instance. So you will not be able to get those features.

Ask-to-activate is a much better approach.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There is some mention that "click to enable" which is perhaps the same as ask-to-activate, does not provide enough protection, and that just having the flash dlls on your windows machine makes it vulnerable. So I encourage you to research whether ask-to-activate is truly safe. If so, why aren't the warning articles promoting that approach?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
gone traveling

Thanks Audrey, you are now appointed the official chief of keeping our Macs safe
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM   #17

Note that Firefox 39.0 has now labeled shockwave flash as hazardous and puts up a warning when any such features appear in a web site.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thanks Audrey, you are now appointed the official chief of keeping our Macs safe
Don't know about that! LOL!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There is some mention that "click to enable" which is perhaps the same as ask-to-activate, does not provide enough protection, and that just having the flash dlls on your windows machine makes it vulnerable. So I encourage you to research whether ask-to-activate is truly safe. If so, why aren't the warning articles promoting that approach?
I really don't know if just disabling will be protective enough. This article implies that: Disable Flash In Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Other Web Browsers To Keep Your PC Safe From Vulnerabilities | Redmond Pie

Also this recently from Krebs seems to say that disabling is an OK way to go:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/...ero-day-found/

I'm only disabling as a temporary test to see if I will miss Adobe Flash for some application. If no issues then I'll uninstall it.

This is what I now see on the BBC site (as an example):

I also noticed that tinyPic was not working right for me to get the "IMG" info for the above image. I had to allow adobe flash temporarily on that site to get this picture. So this is an example of something I need that would be broken if I uninstall Adobe Flash.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

As with any known security threat, install the update the publisher will provide. It's really that simple.

When Windows finds a zero-day, if you have automatic updates ON, it will be patched. Some goes for Adobe. If you go for the manual method as I do, wait for the notice, and then do the update or patch in a controlled way.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote