Security Experts are Recommending you Uninstall Adobe Flash

Well I'm no expert on this, but videos won't run without plug-ins (at least mine won't, with the Comodo browser). How are you getting around that?

Last edited:
Note that adobe has a fix on their website if you download and install (being sure to uncheck the box for some other software) firefox will be happy. It is supposed to have fixed the bugs that were found, although it does appear that shockwave flash is swiss cheese in terms of quality.

Note that adobe has a fix on their website if you download and install (being sure to uncheck the box for some other software) firefox will be happy. It is supposed to have fixed the bugs that were found, although it does appear that shockwave flash is swiss cheese in terms of quality.
I must have set this to automatic update because my PC has this latest as of today 7/14. The latest version is 18.0.0.209

Well I'm no expert on this, but videos won't run without plug-ins (at least mine won't, with the Comodo browser). How are you getting around that?

I haven't run into problems running video in Safari yet.

I'm confused -- I'm running Firefox on a PC, Firefox has blocked the Shockwave Flash plug-in from running, but yet I can still play music on Youtube.

I have looked with Task Manager, Shockwave Flash for-sure is NOT running, but I can't seem to catch what the task is that is doing the media. Any idea what the player is:confused:

Separately, when I look at ER.org, I don't log-in unless I'm making a post. As such, all of the ads lately (videos in about every one!) would drag down my poor CPU, making everything so slow, so then I would use Task Manager to kill Shockwave Flash, then everything would be quick again. With Firefox not running Shockwave Flash, its full speed all the time now!

Separately, when I look at ER.org, I don't log-in unless I'm making a post. As such, all of the ads lately (videos in about every one!) would drag down my poor CPU, making everything so slow, so then I would use Task Manager to kill Shockwave Flash, then everything would be quick again. With Firefox not running Shockwave Flash, its full speed all the time now!
Have you tried the extension Adblock Plus? Works nicely on a PC running Firefox. I've used it for years.

Thanks for this. Removed Flash. Am I correct that if Flash remains on an iPad (connected to network) that a) iPad can't be corrupted and b) can't therefore indirectly corrupt an iMac?

Thanks for this. Removed Flash. Am I correct that if Flash remains on an iPad (connected to network) that a) iPad can't be corrupted and b) can't therefore indirectly corrupt an iMac?

iPads don't support flash. So you don't have it on there anyway. No iOS platform does.

Steve Jobs made the call years ago not to support Flash on the iOS platform, supporting HTML5 instead. There was quite a hue and cry at the time. His reasons were: Flash required too much CPU bandwidth, which was a problem for battery life at the time. But also he said it wasn't secure enough.

At first sites such as YouTube and Facebook solved the issue by creating apps for iOS that didn't use flash. As of a couple of years ago their web pages detect iOS and support HTML5 so they run in Safari as well.

I haven't run into problems running video in Safari yet.

Interestingly I disabled plug-ins yesterday and have had no problems using Comodo either. A few ads aren't displaying, but I view that as a plus.

I'm confused -- I'm running Firefox on a PC, Firefox has blocked the Shockwave Flash plug-in from running, but yet I can still play music on Youtube.

I have looked with Task Manager, Shockwave Flash for-sure is NOT running, but I can't seem to catch what the task is that is doing the media. Any idea what the player is:confused:

AFIK Youtbe stuff can be run via HTML5 for which FF has recently added support. Gurus may have better answer.

YouTube videos run fine in Safari on my Mac, just like on my iOS devices. I assume they use HTML5 now.

I think the only Flash used on a website I use on a daily basis is google finance. They fall back if you don't have Flash installed, but it's not as nice.

I totally uninstalled flash from my home "business" computer. When I went to BoA to create a new ShopSafe card, I discovered the ShopSafe software no longer worked (small circle with slash). I installed the new version of flash and it worked. It appears that the bank's software depends on flash. That is creepy but it might explain why Trusteer Rapport doesn't like the ShopSafe popup.

Ugh, we receive a hardcopy newspaper two days a week and the remaining days we get digital copies. Just discovered my digital paper will not work without flash.

My KenKen's won't work w/o flash, so I'm stuck with it.

Back
Top Bottom