Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
One way to secure a garage door for daily use, is to remove the pull down cord as thieves hook that with a coat hanger wire and can then open the door.

check out You tube to see how easy it is done, and the fix is easy too.

If your power is out and you ever need to manually open the door, you can tie the string back on and pull it.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm a retired police officer. Alarm calls are viewed as a PITA call because 99.9999% of the time it is a false alarm. In 18 years on the street I remember two that were not, and we ran at least two or three a day, often more. In only one instance was the burglar, a stupid teenager, still there in the store.

Some police departments do not respond to alarm calls at all any more because of the false alarm rates. Others have instituted fines for too many false alarms. Rest assured that if the police where you live still respond to alarms, they're not going to be in a hurry."
You are probably right for many places, but it depends on where you live. In our previous primary residence town, a wealthy north shore suburb of Chicago, the police responded very quickly to any alarm. They took it very seriously because they didn't want the town to be a target for burglaries and robberies.

Our cleaning ladies were in perpetual fear that we would forget and set the alarm (they didn't have the code), and they would trip it when entering the house through the garage (they had the code to the garage door). One time at another house, they triggered the alarm and the police showed up with guns drawn.

Anyway, we wanted monitored alarms no matter what for CO, fire, water, temperature. We were gone a lot, and having the house monitor itself was helpful.

Our current primary residence is a condo with individual alarm systems, but no one uses them because it is a gated 24-hour security place with cameras everywhere, and the safety systems are monitored centrally separately.

Out current secondary residence has an alarm system we do not use when there (except smoke, CO, etc.) because crime is almost non-existent. When gone, it is helpful to monitor systems and keep out the opportunistic thief

45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks all

I don't need CO monitoring from anyone. We have an alarm already which is required by law here and since we had remodeling work done we had to bring the house up to code for that. I looked at the Fortress system and it is along the lines of what I was thinking of though I also thought cameras would be potentially useful. We already have a sign and motion sensor lights.
If money is the root of all evil I want to be a bad man
nuke_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post
I looked at the Fortress system and it is along the lines of what I was thinking of though I also thought cameras would be potentially useful.
FWIW, they just added cameras to their line about 2 months ago, they haven't yet added it to the tabs of their web page. They work with the "Total Security" style system. Here's a link to a page on the features of the camera.

I haven't purchased on of their systems yet, but I did poke around online nd they seem well regarded. And, folivier had good things to say about them on this thread.
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Fortress Security also has good technical and warranty support. I had a few questions installing my Total Security system with some existing wired sensors and they were quick to help. Also had a power supply (wall wart) quit working and they quickly sent out a replacement. I had investigated all other systems and chose this one. I wanted to self monitor.

You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote