Join Early Retirement Today

Re: See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

It's endemic.

I still go out in public and forget to take a pair with me. My kid shows me things by shoving them a foot away from my face and can't understand why I recoil in terror. I have four pair scattered around the house so that I'm only 20 feet away from losing them at any time. My spouse is quietly gloating in the knowledge that both her parents are presbyopia-free.

My father used to wear a pair, shove them up on his head for a distant look, and forget he'd put them there. Then he'd walk around the house griping "Where are my d&*n glasses?" When I did that to myself last week, I immediately apologized to him for all those years of laughing at his absent-mindedness...

So gosh, who wouldn't clamp their eyeballs to a suction device and let an alleged experienced professional carve on them with lasers?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, there is some behavioral science to this.

What it boiled down to is if you have something that you really enjoy that is critical to you, you should have only one of them, as then you will take best care of it and always keep it with you or know where it is. Otherwise you discard it as an inessential item in areas that are most convenient to do so.

I start out the day with 8 pairs of glasses next to the computer, which is really the only place I need them. As if this writing, I have one set on my face, one still next to the computer...I'm sure both cars have a pair in them, I'm sure there are 2-3 pair on the counter in the bathroom and another pair or two on the kitchen counter.

The study I read (and which was very interesting) was done by a female researcher who had a favorite nail file she was never without. She liked it so much she bought 3 more of them. And could never find any of them after that.

With regards to the glasses on the head thing, I can do one better.

I got a couple of pairs of glasses from that $19 glasses place Nords recommended. They worked out fine except the quality is...well...what you'd expect for $19 glasses. I have one of those soft nose pads that pops out once a week or so and one of the lenses comes out of the frame periodically and I have to reshape the frame a little to make it stay in. Other than that, a happy purchase. So the other night, I'm lying in bed with the baby and I hand him off to his mother, and while doing that he swats the glasses off my face and I notice the nose pad is missing. Not wanting it to end up eaten by a baby or a cat, we ended up turning the whole bed upside down.

Then I noticed the pad still stuck to the side of my nose.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
To a baby, everything is food.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:54 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

To a baby, everything is food.

That behavior analysis makes a lot of sense. I'm surviving on three pair but I'm resisting adding a pair to each car and my (*sigh*) toolbox. I'm also afraid to buy in bulk before my eyes settle in. At least I don't feel so bad when I step on them (another Freudian behavior).

I think the moment of truth will arrive when I start pricing prescription snorkel mask lenses. Surely some enterprising boomer entrepreneur makes them in bifocals now?

I dunno-- my FIL wears his reading glasses on a neck lanyard. Then he adds his sunglasses (also on a lanyard). By the end of the day he's nearly strangled himself, and he doesn't have a pony tail.

OT, you'd be amazed what babies can ingest & survive. (Of course, you're reviewing the evidence with every diaper change!) But it's good to be ready to hold them upside-down by their ankles to administer a well-placed whack between the shoulder blades. I'm still bemused at how kids seem to survive all of our most well-intentioned efforts to raise them.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: To a baby, everything is food.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: To a baby, everything is food.

Quote:
I think the moment of truth will arrive when I start pricing prescription snorkel mask lenses. *Surely some enterprising boomer entrepreneur makes them in bifocals now?
I suppose they do, but just how much reading do you do underwater? Not that I should talk -- I had to have prescription swim goggles. I'm very nearsighted, and the idea of being in the water without being able to see clearly scared the he## out of me.

As for forgetting the reading glasses ... my DH has a new ritual when we go to a restaurant. He gets halfway to the table, slaps his chest pocket and mutters, "Da## ... I have to go back to the car," much to the consternation of the wait staff.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started using low end reading glasses (1 to 1.25) 6 years ago at 51. I'm still haven't fully accepted this reality so I sometimes forget to take them. I'll get used to having them eventually. The one good thing is that around here, they are only $ .99 a pair.

MJ