Join Early Retirement Today

See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @ Last
Old 02-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @ Last

The biggest chicken in the world (at least as far as medical procedures go) finally got up the nerve to have LASIK surgery! And, now, for the first time ever, I am reading this board without glasses.

NOW, LIFE IS GOOD.

Beachbumz
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @
Old 02-16-2005, 06:50 AM   #2

Hi Beach! I don't think I am the "biggest chicken in the world", but LASIK is something I have no desire to do.
(or contacts either). Had my glasses over 50 years and like the way I look in them. So, another decision off the
table.

Glad you are satisfied with your results.

JG
Old 02-16-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations. Isn't it wonderful?

If you just had it done, your vision will clear up over a period of time, I think mine changed very gradually over a month or two.

I agree, Life is good.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #4

Woohoo! Congrats! It's very liberating to be free of corrective devices. Waking up in the morning and seeing clearly is fantastic. I had fun destroying my glasses shortly after surgery: I'd say "whoops!" as I repeatedly lobbed them across the room much to the amusement of my relatives. (We're easily amused.)

You think lasik is scary...I had the knife-in-doctor's-hand RK a few years ago. I remember they gave me valium to ease my nerves, but when it was time I told them I didn't think it was working because I was still very nervous. :-/ Actually some form of laser surgery was available then, but it was new and I decided to go with the then-tried-and-true method.

EDIT: My grandmother had cataract surgery in recent years, and now they can correct your vision in the process. She still wore glasses afterward, but the rest of us were puzzled why because there appeared to be absolutely no correction in the lenses. I suppose long habits and self image are hard to break. At least the lenses were thin and light instead of the coke bottles she had before.

EDIT 2: My vision changed for a couple of weeks to a month after RK, but I thought the lasik had very little change afterward; in fact I'm told by a couple of friends that they say the danger is in being careless because you don't feel that anything is amiss and forget about how vulnerable the cornea is after surgery.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

I guess I'm still in the running for biggest chicken. I'm really nearsighted (about -7 diopters) with a slight astigmatism in one eye, and have worn glasses for 25 of my 35 years.

But I am considering that "custom Lasik"; I think they also call it "waveform Lasik" where they map out the surface of your eye and correct differently based on the map.

How is the visual acuity compared to glasses? Any side effects? Any advice?

malakito
malakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beachbumz? Beachbumz? Where are you? We can barely hear you? Hello? Hello?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #7

Yeah but have you tried driving at night yet Beachbumz? Also, how dry are your eyes now?
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:18 AM   #8

I had cataracts removed from both eyes recently.
Improved my vision but did not change my outlook.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!! DH and I both have had LASIK in the last few years and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #10

My eyesight is not ba enough to warrant a lasik surgery.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the custom lasik in October. Had previously for 15 years had the toric extended wear contacts.
i had considerable astigmatism (6+).
the custom or wavefront is when they use a computer to build a custom map of your eye, rather than the doc giving you the standard treatment.
I have done well, once I got past some dry eyes. I have some starbursts at night, however it is reducing and is considerably better than my contacts.
The custom lasik for me was the diff between 20/15 and 20/20 or 20/25. Actually, I could read better than 20/15, but they didnt have charts to go lower.
I am very cautious of my eyes and waited until the wavefront was available, and even then waited until my doc had done several.
I am pleased, I did not go with the popularly advertised specials in the local shopper, but decided to go with a doc who regularly does excellent cataract surgeries and such. I was reluctant to pay the additional 300 dollars over the shopper price, but now feel that it would have been less than prudent not to spend it.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you're like me, you discovered after vision correction that past the first 30 minutes of "so thats what everything looks like!", everything being a little fuzzy wasnt so bad
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree, better vision didnt supply me with any additional insight! :-/
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
How about presbyopia?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

How about presbyopia?

I've been wearing reading glasses for over a year and I'm royally pissed off about it. (Good thing I don't need to read my longboard.) I'm at 1.75D and still heading north.

Anyone have any luck with monovision LASIK or CK? Any horror stories?

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/presbyopia.htm

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Indeed...I'm starting to have to hold things a little further away to read them, and I'll be damned if I'll increase my eyeglass prescription.

By the way, every single #$^%#$ing thing made for babies has manuals, directions for assembly and little LED displays made for 20 year old eyes. I've been squinting so much the last 3 weeks that I've about had it...
Old 02-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I got my first pair of specs at age 44.

Even if you don't need glasses - are not glasses 'part of the uniform' if you are in any part of the IT biz. Makes you look serious and er - well properly geeky.

I still have fond memories of some of my old pocket protectors working at Boeing - fresh out of college.

Sometimes it was 'a good thing' when dealing with dirty blonds in the Pacific Northwest.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mrs. Zipper was very near-sighted and had to wear glasses since she was a girl.

Without them she would be blind.

She had custom Lasik surgery here in London in November and her vision now at age 56 is as good as mine. (perfect)

One odd thing though.

Before surgery, she could take off her glasses and read close-up.

I've had to wear reading glasses since my mid-forties. Yet my distance vision remains perfect.

Now Mrs. Zipper has to wear readers so we have a dozen pairs of drugstore glasses stored everywhere.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:00 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, having to wear "readers" after the lasik surgery is common if your wife was severly nearsighted. I had the same issue. When I was wearing glasses to see distance I took them off to read close up. Before I had the surgery the doc told me that the fact that I was nearsighted was what kept my upclose vision good and once he corrected for the far away, I would still be left with 40+ year old eyes that would need correction for reading. He told me in advance which was good. I still am happy as I can read some things, glasses makes it easier. I am still happy I did it.

I had the lasik wave front thing myself...my vision cleared up fast, no halos, no dry eyes, but I was RELIGIOUS about the drops and stuff for the first month.

My doctor has done 1000's of surgeries including Tiger Woods and lots of other surgeons and professional athletes. I felt better paying a little more for someone experienced.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I went back to the Dr. yesterday. Things are still a bit "fuzzy" which is normal, but I have 20/20 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left. (The day before, I could not make out the bit 'E' on the eye chart. ) He said anything under 20/60 the first day was excellent. The dry eyes have not been a problem, as I too am religious about using the drops. Sleeping with goggles on is not much fun, but only have to do this for a week.

The lady in front of me was doing the monovision thing, I don't now the results.

I went with the wavefront or custom LASIK procedure as everything I read said this was the way to go. I had a slight astigmatism in each eye. This procedure is supposed to be better for the night time vision, but I have not driven at night yet.

My advice would be to do the wavefront lasik (if qualified) and use a reputable doctor, not the $699 per eye people. Ask for referrals. The basik lasik procedure was $2500, wavefront added another $800. But, it was time for new glasses anyway, and I figure that would have cost me $600. For those that are still working, running this through a flex spending plan would be ideal.

And, yes, now my close up vision is not as good, but the doc says that should improve with time...we'll see!

Beachbumz

Old 02-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Indeed...I'm starting to have to hold things a little further away to read them, and I'll be damned if I'll increase my eyeglass prescription.

By the way, every single #$^%#$ing thing made for babies has manuals, directions for assembly and little LED displays made for 20 year old eyes. I've been squinting so much the last 3 weeks that I've about had it...
TH,

Is that a pain or what? I bragged about having perfect vision at 50. Now at 53 I'm wearing "buck-and-a-halfs" (1.50 diopter) to read. Same for DW. We load up a couple times a year at the dollar store. Only thing... I keep a pair on my desk, in the car, by the LaZYBoy, on the night stand, on the workbench, and in my griefcase. DW on the otherhand starts out with a 50 pair EVERYWHERE. Then slowly over time they wind up in huge piles in only 3 places...her desk, chair and in the bathroom!

Any behavioral scientists a-board?

BUM 8)