Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Selecting Guns for Personal Protection
Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lips, maybe, but hopefully no TEETH...

Then again, how do they chew on "wood"?? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Currently, it would be easier for me if you guys didn't reference this area.

Ha
Old 09-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Currently, it would be easier for me if you guys didn't reference this area.

Ha
Ha: Just keep swinging the bat. Even the best ball-players go through "slumps" once in a while.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Ha: Just keep swinging the bat. Even the best ball-players go through "slumps" once in a while.
Maytag Repairman Jarhead, check for a PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Pistoleros. Just saying: Sig Sauer 225, got one today from the linked source, outstanding. Got the $299 version, $319 in my hands. Happiness is a warm gun. Scope it out.

Dan's Sporting Goods Firearms Page
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Pistoleros. Just saying: Sig Sauer 225, got one today from the linked source, outstanding. Got the $299 version, $319 in my hands. Happiness is a warm gun. Scope it out.
I'm always curious as to why someone suddenly decides to respond to a three year old thread...
Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm always curious as to why someone suddenly decides to respond to a three year old thread...
because in a rare and unlikely to be repeated moment of humility, i thought just maybe there was a Sig Sauer or pistol thread to comment on rather than starting a fresh new thread. So i did a small search. not at all like me. in the future i'll assume that all my random written effluvia is worthy of a fresh new thread. Esta bien?
Old 05-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #48

Sounds good. The problem in posting to old threads like this one is that at least a half-dozen posters who participated in the original discussion are no longer around. Much better to start anew - at least in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Point taken - the main thrust is that this is a good chance for some on the board to spend money if they choose. Others may not choose to do so, but i was a happy shopper. so again, heads up gun nuts.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds good. The problem in posting to old threads like this one is that at least a half-dozen posters who participated in the original discussion are no longer around. Much better to start anew - at least in my opinion.
Ha is still here, and still a trustworthy source for gun info.

I like to read some of my old posts, before I burned out and sunk into tossing off one-liners. And of course JG is here once more, in all his glory.

Ha
Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ha is still here...
Yeah, some of us apparently haven't yet gotten a life.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

REWahoo, I didn't even notice it was three years old, just saw a post that I can actually offer intelligent advice on, instead of my usual pleading the wisdom of the collective. Having spent the last 25 years in law enforcement I feel quite qualified to offer advice on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Remington 870 pump shotgun with an 18 inch barrel is the classic home defense firearm.* Takes more aiming than implied above, but it is an excellent defensive firearm ... can fire 00 buckshot, bird shot, slugs, etc.* Very versatile.

There are rifles that fire the same ammo as handguns.* For example, Marlin makes excellent lever action rifles that fire .44 magnum, .357 magnum ... both popular cartridges for revolvers.*

Great handguns are Glocks, Smith & Wesson revolvers (stainless steel sounds good for you), Ruger revolvers, Sig's, H&K, perhaps in that order considering your comments.

Bottom line is you can spend hours debating the relative merits of different firearms for different uses, but these are some classic choices.

Definitely get some training ...
Craig, this was a beautifully reasoned response. The rule of thumb on a 12ga with an open barrel is that the load will spread one inch per yard. So if you are shooting across your living room (20 ft avg) your spread will only be about 6-7 inches. Add to that the fact that the average Joe is going to try to hip shoot it like they see in Hollywood and the odds of actually hitting the target are pretty slim. And slugs don't spread at all. In my not so humble opinion, the greatest value of a 12 ga pump for home defense is that EVERYONE is fluent in "cha-ching"and nobody really wants to argue at that point.

The OP's request for a matching rifle for a NOLA situation was WONDERFUL! Only having one type of ammo to mess with is a point civilians seldom consider. And your recommendation of a lever action Marlin was right on the money. My personal choice would be a Ruger SP101 in .357 and a matching rifle, or a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt with the matching rifle.

Any time you get a bunch of gun-nuts together (term used with respect and endearment) the never-ending "Best Gun" debate has fueled many a late night discussion at deer camp, around the camp fires, or sitting in the towers of a penitentiary. Nobody ever wins, and I doubt very much that anybody is ever converted. Still, they can be fun and informative.

Training is an absolute must!!! If the OP honestly believes he can put a gun in his closet, take it out years into the future and hit anything other than the closet door (shooting from inside the closet) he is sadly mistaken. The image of the retired gunfighter/lawman who can retrieve his pistols from a dusty trunk in the attic and still hit the broad side of his barn is pure Hollywood. I see trained LEO's every year who barely pass qualification because they only shoot once a year, at qualification. Especially with firearms, the old adage of use it or lose it is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
Despite all evidence to the contrary, gun proponents believe they are safer owning a gun. *They have never been in a situation when they could use a gun to safety advantage, but they are convinced owning a gun makes them safer.
There is no evidence to the contrary. People without the means to protect themselves and their families are merely victims. That is why every totalitarian government in history has outlawed the ownership of personal weapons. I think the best we can do is agree to disagree. Hijacking a thread to turn it into a pro-gun/anti-gun debate is poor etiquette. Since the OP was asking for gun advice it can be safely assumed he has made a reasoned decision to acquire one, and it should be left at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
.....the police usually show up in time to draw the chalk lines and take witness statements.
Sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36 View Post
C'mon guys. As we have learned from many a diatribe, people are never convinced of any alternate position through challenges on a forum....Or as my wife might say, "Yes, every thing you have just said is probably true. I don't care."
As I observed above, even in a group of certified gun-nuts, you aren't going to convince anyone with discussion, and certainly not with name calling.

As for your DW's retort, have you EVER figured out a way to respond to that? I sure haven't. For us it arose when I wanted to transfer for a promotion. DW said "Fine, but I refuse to live in CA, TX, or FL." I asked why. "Earthquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes" was her response. No amount of explanation or logic could alter her position. So we just stayed here in PA.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherneckPA View Post
Training is an absolute must!!! If the OP honestly believes he can put a gun in his closet, take it out years into the future and hit anything other than the closet door (shooting from inside the closet) he is sadly mistaken. The image of the retired gunfighter/lawman who can retrieve his pistols from a dusty trunk in the attic and still hit the broad side of his barn is pure Hollywood.
I'd agree, except for my own experience on that. Last winter I had to qualify again with a 9mm for a job. I hadn't fired a shot for five years, and qualified the first round. Even I was amazed. Okay, it wasn't great shooting, that took a few more rounds, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easily it came back.

Maybe I just have a talent for it, or it's like riding a bicycle? When I started in law enforcement I'd never touched a handgun and only plinked a few times with a .22 rifle. I took home the shooting trophy over a half-dozen ex-Marines. Oops, sorry Marines, they're always Marines, just not active duty.

But I'll agree that shooting a stationary well-lit paper target is a lot different than a dark moving target that might shoot back.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Are more and more people using Tasers for self-defense? Are they effective in that role? Whaddya do when they wake up ?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Are more and more people using Tasers for self-defense? Are they effective in that role? Whaddya do when they wake up ?
Shoot 'em. Way easier to hit that way.

Ha
Old 05-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #56

1:56 mark
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #57

I enjoy target shooting and have always liked guns (especially five-screw S&Ws). But the idea of keeping a loaded firearm stashed to guard against a 'home invasion' or (worse) actually lugging one around in a holster for 'protection', strikes me as dangerous and ridiculously paranoid.

If there is a real chance of being attacked, do what razztazz says and "just move to a better place where that crap is less likely to happen".
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
If there is a real chance of being attacked, do what razztazz says and "just move to a better place where that crap is less likely to happen".
That's what I did. Bought a modest home in a well-to-do suburb full of McMansions...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

just a warning... a shotgun for self defense in close quarters is not the best choice. at very short range the shot barley spreads more than an inch or 2 under 7 ft or so which is pretty much the max distance for 90% of self defense situations. that does require aiming not just spray and pray. the other issue is any long arm in close quarters is extremely easy to grab and leverage away from you.

i would never recommend anything less than 00 buck shot for stopping power , never #8 bird shot its to easly deflected and deformed as well as not enough penetrating power to stop reliably . you cant even leagly use it on a turkey in most states. . 00 is the size of a .32 caliber round. a bunch of those flying around your house isnt such a great idea either.....

best choice a .40 or .45 with either magsafe or glasser safety rounds.. according to marshall and snow .357 magnum has best stopping power against humans
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

other calibers like 9mm or 38 dont have the stopping power of the larger slower calibers.. 9mm is basically a high speed over penetrating round that is loved by the military because it has good wounding characteristics as the wounded tax your enemy resources and slows them down ....directly the opposite of what one needs for stopping a drunk or drug crazed attacker.

for more on stopping power read the research and works of marshall and snow.

its not the wound that stops the bad guy its all about the round staying contained in the target and disapating its energy disrupting the nervous system. 9mm and .38 cant do this reliably even with hollow points....

in combat training we are taught even hitting someone dead center in the heart will allow them to live long enough to cover 20ft and hack you to death .. only hope is to either disrupt the nervous syatem , or aim for the pelvic area so if you shatter the pelvic bone it may make it impossible for the attacker to continue.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote