Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

argg - FFL (federal firearms license) needed to ship it to me. I guess im glad they do that - but im in AZ and i dont need a license....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Front Sight Firearms Training Institute
Training is available

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Take a look at this new gun - looks good for cc.
The Ruger LCP™ - Specifications
Wow, that's a very compact and light weapon, but I'll bet it is comfortable enough to shoot occasionally.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

last night on risk takers they had a show on the philadelphia swat. they had made a comment that whenever they enter a room they have the guy in the center who normally has a long arm either ar15 or shotgun flanked by guys on either side with handguns because of lack of mobility issues and ease with which a long arm can be leveraged away once the long barrel is grabbed.

as i said before roaming your house to check out a noise in the middle of the night with a shotgun leaves you at great risk of having an arm reach around a corner and grabbing that barrel. even a 10 yrear old kid pushing the barrell in a direction of your thumb will have that out of your hands in a second. a handgun pointed straight ahead , waist level,with your elbows tucked in and pulled as far back and close to your sides is the best way to move about .
Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
last night on risk takers they had a show on the philadelphia swat. they had made a comment that whenever they enter a room they have the guy in the center who normally has a long arm either ar15 or shotgun flanked by guys on either side with handguns because of lack of mobility issues and ease with which a long arm can be leveraged away once the long barrel is grabbed.

as i said before roaming your house to check out a noise in the middle of the night with a shotgun leaves you at great risk of having an arm reach around a corner and grabbing that barrel. even a 10 yrear old kid pushing the barrell in a direction of your thumb will have that out of your hands in a second. a handgun pointed straight ahead , waist level,with your elbows tucked in and pulled as far back and close to your sides is the best way to move about .
Good analysis. I learned this lesson one night with a carbine which didn't have the right kind of sling. Once the bad guy grabs hold of the end of that barrel it becomes a game of tug of war that is no fun to play.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #86
Dryer sheet wannabe

It depends on situation and what you as an individual are most comfortable with. I agree, that a shotgun is not the best approach to clear a room with. However, if I was in a defensive position and had to defend myself and my family against an offensive attack, it would be with a shotgun, hands down. Taking into account nerves, darkness and the hostile situation, a handgun leaves too much room for error for me.

Secondly, the learning curve to effectively load, fire and chamber a round in my police 870 was about 1 hour with my wife and 2 boys. I have an 870 police with 5 round side saddle a youth stock installed. We practiced with reduce recoil OO buck and I feel pretty confident in their abilities to master the loading and firing sequence. My wife and 14 year old loaded and fired the reduced recoil multiple times without issues or complaints. I don't think she could even grip my Beretta 92, won't even go into loading and chambering a round.

While on travel I feel much better knowing the shotgun is next to her bed with 5 rounds in the saddle. Hell, I feel much better with it there when I'm home.