Selecting Guns for Personal Protection

Talk about a Gun Drooler's Thread!

I like what I'm seeing. That Sig brings back happy/sad memories of early Sigs in this country when Browning marketed them as the BDA. I had a set of 9mm, .45, and the ever popular .38super. The simplest take down I've ever seen, literally 4 parts total for that pistol, frame/barrel/spring/slide. The sad part is I had to give them up in the late early 80's due to family obligations. Huge regrets, but I see it's not too late to get the equivalent of the P220 back. Total reliability!

I still have a PPK/s .380 the first version of the Walther built in the USA. I have a 3 digit serial number, 2nd one in town after the shop owner claimed the first one for himself.

That little Ruger is way-cool, looks to be considerably smaller and lighter that the Walther.

I'm feeling inspired to get back into this if I can wade through CA Gun Law. I know it's changed in the last 20 years, but I'm not sure how bad for law abiding gun owners.

I'm feeling inspired to get back into this if I can wade through CA Gun Law. I know it's changed in the last 20 years, but I'm not sure how bad for law abiding gun owners.
I know nothing about Californian firearms legislation; but I can pretty much guarantee you that it's worse for law abiding gun owners than it is for the non-law abiding ones!

I just picked up two Sigs, both with the double action only trigger pull. I carry one and got the other to try out. One is a 9mm (239 SAS), the other .45 ACP (220).

Not sure what I'll do in the summer, as both are good sized. The Ruger LCP may be a good option.

Grunt

* Grunt * Grunt * Peace Through Superior Firepower * Grunt * Grunt *

A problem with amassing a personal arsenal is the inability to easily test its efficacy in a real-life personal defense scenario. Who wants to wait around for weeks, months, or even years before being attacked? A solution to this problem is to take a cue from the Bush administration's foreign policy team and actively provoke a personal attack. How to do this? I suggest tracking down a motorcycle gang in your town, wait until they all go into a saloon for a beer, knock over all of their bikes, walk into the bar and shriek that they're all a bunch of limp-wristed-pinko-commie-faggots, leave your card with your home address on the floor, and high-tail it out of there. Within 4 hours you'll be able to play with your deadly new toys in a real-life personal defense scenario. Bang! Bang! Bang! Ooooh, what fun! Bring 'em on!

A problem with amassing a personal arsenal is the inability to easily test its efficacy in a real-life personal defense scenario. Who wants to wait around for weeks, months, or even years before being attacked? A solution to this problem is to take a cue from the Bush administration's foreign policy team and actively provoke a personal attack. How to do this? I suggest tracking down a motorcycle gang in your town, wait until they all go into a saloon for a beer, knock over all of their bikes, walk into the bar and shriek that they're all a bunch of limp-wristed-pinko-commie-faggots, leave your card with your home address on the floor, and high-tail it out of there. Within 4 hours you'll be able to play with your deadly new toys in a real-life personal defense scenario. Bang! Bang! Bang! Ooooh, what fun! Bring 'em on!

You first. Then make sure you give us a progress report.

Thanks

argg - FFL (federal firearms license) needed to ship it to me. I guess im glad they do that - but im in AZ and i dont need a license....

last night on risk takers they had a show on the philadelphia swat. they had made a comment that whenever they enter a room they have the guy in the center who normally has a long arm either ar15 or shotgun flanked by guys on either side with handguns because of lack of mobility issues and ease with which a long arm can be leveraged away once the long barrel is grabbed.

as i said before roaming your house to check out a noise in the middle of the night with a shotgun leaves you at great risk of having an arm reach around a corner and grabbing that barrel. even a 10 yrear old kid pushing the barrell in a direction of your thumb will have that out of your hands in a second. a handgun pointed straight ahead , waist level,with your elbows tucked in and pulled as far back and close to your sides is the best way to move about .

Last edited:
last night on risk takers they had a show on the philadelphia swat. they had made a comment that whenever they enter a room they have the guy in the center who normally has a long arm either ar15 or shotgun flanked by guys on either side with handguns because of lack of mobility issues and ease with which a long arm can be leveraged away once the long barrel is grabbed.

as i said before roaming your house to check out a noise in the middle of the night with a shotgun leaves you at great risk of having an arm reach around a corner and grabbing that barrel. even a 10 yrear old kid pushing the barrell in a direction of your thumb will have that out of your hands in a second. a handgun pointed straight ahead , waist level,with your elbows tucked in and pulled as far back and close to your sides is the best way to move about .
Good analysis. I learned this lesson one night with a carbine which didn't have the right kind of sling. Once the bad guy grabs hold of the end of that barrel it becomes a game of tug of war that is no fun to play.

It depends on situation and what you as an individual are most comfortable with. I agree, that a shotgun is not the best approach to clear a room with. However, if I was in a defensive position and had to defend myself and my family against an offensive attack, it would be with a shotgun, hands down. Taking into account nerves, darkness and the hostile situation, a handgun leaves too much room for error for me.

Secondly, the learning curve to effectively load, fire and chamber a round in my police 870 was about 1 hour with my wife and 2 boys. I have an 870 police with 5 round side saddle a youth stock installed. We practiced with reduce recoil OO buck and I feel pretty confident in their abilities to master the loading and firing sequence. My wife and 14 year old loaded and fired the reduced recoil multiple times without issues or complaints. I don't think she could even grip my Beretta 92, won't even go into loading and chambering a round.

While on travel I feel much better knowing the shotgun is next to her bed with 5 rounds in the saddle. Hell, I feel much better with it there when I'm home.

Back
Top Bottom