Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Self Checkout: loathe or like?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Administrator

Self Checkout: loathe or like?

Local markets are increasingly relying on self check lines and I've seen a number of justifications for installing DIY checkouts; cost cutting (employee costs), customers prefer to use them when buying "embarrassing" items, and speed.

Has anyone ever found them to be faster? Do I get a discount for checking and bagging my own stuff?

Do you use or actually like self-check lines?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For just a few items yes. A full cart, no.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Depends. If it's a cart-load of groceries, we prefer regular check out. A few items, we are good with self. We like both for different reasons.

And no, we don't expect a discount for self check-out and self-bagging. We've found during our travels overseas that rarely do grocery stores and markets in other countries offer to bag your groceries. In fact, stores in many other countries expect you to also BYOB having done away with those ubiquitous plastic thingies.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Unless we have a full cart (over 20 items?), I always use self checkout where available, because it’s been faster IME. I’ve been to some stores (e.g. Home Depot) where sometimes there aren’t any cashiers on station, only self checkout. I’m sure they’d make a cashier available, but it seems they’re encouraging self checkout.

Some stores have overly weight sensitive bagging scales (e.g. Target) which makes self checkout a little erratic. If the scale weight goes up or down when the software isn’t expecting it, it locks up. I’ve learned to not touch anything (bagging) until after the transaction is complete, to avoid a freeze up.

I’m all for it, I hope customers don’t ruin it for the rest of us by stealing merchandise.

A local grocery store offered self checkout and removed it after a few months. I asked why and they claimed it was due to pilferage, I suspect the (surly senior) cashiers union did it in. Never liked that store anyway...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Always use self-checkout. I really dislike having to go through a check-out where a cashier rings up my purchases..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #6

I rarely have more than about ten items so I love self-checkout. My local supermarket (Kroger) has an employee to watch over six scanner stations, which is an ideal ratio IMO and I hardly ever have to wait more than a minute at most. If there is a problem, the employee is right there to fix it.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

90% of the time I have less than 10 items. Always use self check-out when available. MUCH faster.

It seems like every time I use a cashier check-out, the person in front of me has an issue (price check, card won't work, wants to write a paper check, etc.).

Now, the one place that does not have self check out, but is VERY fast, is Aldi's. There is usually a line, but it moves 3x the speed of a regular grocery store
Old 08-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I like and use self-checkout. I loathe people who use it with crazy-full shopping carts during busy times. There should be enforced item limits like on “express lanes”.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A few simple (and well marked items) yes, but a basket full of stuff, no way.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Small to medium load of goods, yes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

I always use it if it's available. It's not offered at grocery stores (publix anyway) in S.Fla.

At the home depot today I saw they converted mine from the "scan your item over the glass" to "pick up the scanner gun and use it to scan your things" and that seemed like a process with a far greater chance for user errors.

I've yet to make it out of Costco's self-checkout without someone around me needing help, and every one of these seems to need a lot of babysitting.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #12

Love!!! I am faster then the average disinterested employee and also I don't have to try to make conversation.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
At the home depot today I saw they converted mine from the "scan your item over the glass" to "pick up the scanner gun and use it to scan your things" and that seemed like a process with a far greater chance for user errors.
I must disagree. I love the new Home Depot scan stations. It was incredibly awkward to use the old ones with large items, but with the scanner gun you can handle anything quickly.

Quote:
I've yet to make it out of Costco's self-checkout without someone around me needing help, and every one of these seems to need a lot of babysitting.
I wish our Costco stores had self-checkout.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

I like them. A lot. I prefer them to checkout lines and cashiers. And yes, I find them massively faster
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #15

I'm a bit of a germophobe so I would avoid using a hand scanner. Otherwise, I prefer self checkout.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #16

I almost always use Kroger's self checkout and think it's good. Occasionally, I'll hit a manned checkout lane when the employees are loitering about and look like they would like to do something.

I tried Kroger's wander-the-store-with-their-scanner-wand. You scan your items as you pick them up. My problem with that was that I often forgot to scan something. So I'm back to regular self checkout.

DW on the other hand used to avoid self-checkout at Meijer, but she likes their scan as you shop. At Meijer you use your iPhone as the scanner and that works well for her.

It's interesting to me to see how these stores are trying new approaches to speeding us through their stores.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
There should be enforced item limits like on “express lanes”.
hahaha ...enforced limits....hahaha

as if

I use them.But only for a few items. Like a soup for lunch. Unless I walk by a checker & there is no one in line.

I think I saw a self check out at Costco the other day. Now that could be a sheot show
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #18

I'm a dinosaur. I use the cashier every time. Let them have their $14 an hour.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #19
gone traveling

Never.
I despise that robot b—-ch’s voice. She won’t let me checkout the way I want to.
I like chatting with the checkers.
I appreciate the baggers.

And, I never return my cart to the corral.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm a bit of a germophobe so I would avoid using a hand scanner. Otherwise, I prefer self checkout.
That was something else that bothered me a bit with using their scanner as I wondered around Kroger. I expect they clean them, but how well?

Meijer doesn't have that issue as you use your own phone.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote