Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like both: self-checkout and a cashier. I choose whichever one I think will be more efficient for me. Even at the self-checkout I get help sometimes from the attendant.

Do you pump your own gas for your car?

And this month for a doctor's appointment I had to fill out everything online ahead of time instead of writing it down on a sheet of paper attached to a clipboard in the waiting room. I felt I was employed as a data entry person for the physician.

The next thing you know, I'll have to fill out my tax return myself.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I like and use self-checkout. I loathe people who use it with crazy-full shopping carts during busy times. There should be enforced item limits like on “express lanes”.
At my local Fred Meyer, there are about 12 traditional checkout lanes, one Express self-checkout area that says no more than about 12-15 items, and one no-item-limit self-checkout area. Each of the self-checkout areas has between 4 and 6 stations.

Works perfectly for me. I'll try to use self-checkout if I can, and I'll self-select into the appropriate area. If I have a larger cart full of stuff, I'll go to the regular lines.

The only thing I don't like is the helpful voice starts helping me too quickly and too often and won't quiet down even if I start doing what it wants. For example, I know I need to put my credit card into the slot to pay, but the voice will say "Please insert your card into the credit card reader slot, making sure that the chip is inserted first, with the card face up" or whatever. I've got it in the slot after the first two words, but have to listen to the rest. #firstworldproblems.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually, I hate it, especially when I have a lot of produce (which is usually), or alcohol (ahem, often). Bottle deposit refunds are especially annoying, which I have to use for products from a local dairy. Every time I have one the attendant has to call around to all their coworkers to figure out what the procedure is; seems they never remember.

Kroger has gotten a bit better with fine-tuning the scale you have to put your bagged groceries on. It used to complain about nearly every item I put on it and locked up the system each time until the attendant came to reset it, and since there is one person babysitting a dozen checkout lanes that was a PITA. It's also a lot easier if you simply ignore the machine voice walking you through the process. But, if I have a few, mostly packaged goods with bar codes then I'll happily use it.

Some of the patrons have figured out that if they look pitiful enough the attendant will scan everything on the self-checkout machine for them. Which makes everyone with "problems" (see above) stand there and wait.

And don't get me started on the hand-held scanners.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
At my local Fred Meyer, there are about 12 traditional checkout lanes, one Express self-checkout area that says no more than about 12-15 items, and one no-item-limit self-checkout area. Each of the self-checkout areas has between 4 and 6 stations.
Kroger (aka Fred Meyer) in my area has gotten rid of all the traditional express lanes and only has one or two full-service lanes open at any given time. I think they are trying to force people to use the self checkouts or the hand held scanners.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I rarely have more than about ten items so I love self-checkout. My local supermarket (Kroger) has an employee to watch over six scanner stations, which is an ideal ratio IMO and I hardly ever have to wait more than a minute at most. If there is a problem, the employee is right there to fix it.
Yes to Kroger's system.
Usually, I find it takes less time to do it myself (again, on small purchases). Many cashiers are slow, and/or wait for a bagger to show up. And lots of folks would rather use the cashiers, so those lines are longer.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I never use self check. No discount for using one.
Self Checkout: loathe or like?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Self Checkout: loathe or like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

Works perfectly for me. I'll try to use self-checkout if I can, and I'll self-select into the appropriate area. If I have a larger cart full of stuff, I'll go to the regular lines.

That sounds perfect. Hats off to Fred!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #28

I’ve bern very reluctant to use the self checkout. However, as has been said, the stores are forcing the situation. I usually don’t have many items and since they only have a couple lanes open, it’s too compelling to use the self checkout. Personally, I hate them. I can’t stand the voice telling me to put my stuff in the bag and when I move something around, it won’t shut up. I realized the last time that I really don’t have to listen to that devil. I just kept scanning and it kept chirping at me and I just ignored it and hit pay and checked out. Not sure if they finally figured out that they can’t monitor the bagging area well enough to justify stopping the transaction, but I hope so.

I’ll take a regular lane whenever I can unless the wait is just clearly too long. Then I’ll bite the bullet and do it myself.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

I use the self check out at target all the time but yesterday I went to home depot and it was totally self scan . I had three large garbage cans so I used the wand but I would have rather had a real checker .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #30

I’ll give it a go. Use it frequently grocery shopping. Just want people to know their sh@t if they’re going to use it. Love Home Depot for the previous stated reason fo being able to not scan larger items previously
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Love self checkout and started using it as soon as it was available. We rarely have many items and prefer to self checkout. We are very fast. The recently increased the number of self checkout terminals at our main grocery store.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We've been busy acquiring all new doctors and dentists since our move. Every practice requires online data fill-in before the appt, or else those heavy clunky electronic pad things in the office. Yes, it is to save on office staff's time. Plus, they can't be blamed if your data has an error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

And this month for a doctor's appointment I had to fill out everything online ahead of time instead of writing it down on a sheet of paper attached to a clipboard in the waiting room. I felt I was employed as a data entry person for the physician.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We've been busy acquiring all new doctors and dentists since our move. Every practice requires online data fill-in before the appt, or else those heavy clunky electronic pad things in the office. Yes, it is to save on office staff's time. Plus, they can't be blamed if your data has an error.
Personally, I like filling out those forms at home on my computer. Much better than me trying to do so in the waiting room on a clipboard and without all my information handy.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Use the self checkout in BJ's, as don't wish to wait behind someone with a massive number of items in their cart.
Plus there are no bags anyway.
For Publix, there are no self checkout lines, so the choice is made for you.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #35
Administrator

I don't use self-checkout and always go to a human cashier. It is my own small way to help keep up employment opportunities. I once wrote to Lowes corporate headquarters to tell them to hire human cashiers. I'm willing to pay a little more for screws and nails, etc to make that happen.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
For just a few items yes. A full cart, no.
^^^This
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

We never use them for more than a few items because of the bagging area sensitivity. In our area you must bring your own bags, which are of differing weights, and the computer freaks out. I dread the “unexpected item in the bagging area” announcement because my canvas bag weighs more than a plastic bag.

I also learned the hard way that alcohol purchases must go through a checker.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I've yet to make it out of Costco's self-checkout without someone around me needing help, and every one of these seems to need a lot of babysitting.
Wow - I've never been in a Costco with a self-checkout! And I've visited them in several states.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I don't use self-checkout and always go to a human cashier. It is my own small way to help keep up employment opportunities. I once wrote to Lowes corporate headquarters to tell them to hire human cashiers. I'm willing to pay a little more for screws and nails, etc to make that happen.
I don't use self checkouts either. Working a cash register is a menial job and I'll support those who do so whenever possible.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

I have family members that feel this way. They think it is a Big Retail conspiracy. I now see fewer checkout cashiers and stores eliminating the choice for a human cashier so I think my family members are correct to feel this way. At our grocery they have one cashier responsible for 12 stations and you have to wait forever to get help.

I’m convinced the people writing the software for these machines never actually use the machines. The weight sensing interface is stupid. My store also has the handheld scanners that you can scan as you load items into your cart. It’s pretty slick but it crashes sometimes and my cart was audited twice. Humiliating experience.