Middle class 38 43.68%
Upper middle class 44 50.57%
Rich class 3 3.45%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Self classification
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Self classification

Forget the US Census Bureau. Given only 4 choices, which one describes you best?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
"Forgetful"?

"Limited"? ;-)

---
What are we s'posed to be choosing among?
Neither! You just discover a quirk in the new software. To create a poll, you first have to post a new thread. So the post appears before the actual poll options.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #3

I said middle class because that is our yearly income level and our actual spending profile.

--yeh, I figured that out and deleted the post-- :-)
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #4

Quote:
--yeh, I figured that out and deleted the post-- :-)
But not fast enough
Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you mean from a financial point of view income or net worth; how you were raised; or social status.
I was raised poor working class
I have a middle class income
I have an upper or possibly rich net worth
I live a social status of the lower middle class
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #6

From your personal financial view of yourself at this very moment.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No class...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a bit surprised to discover that I view "class" as a function of the number of one's ostentatious material possessions and the brand of Budweiser er fine pilsener uhm chardonnay alcoholic beverage in their refrigerators.

By that definition I'm with HFWR.

Maybe "class" should be a function of net worth (however this board chooses to define that number) or the last fine theater performance one attended... although at $100/ticket for "Lion King" in Hawaii, those two categories are probably mutually exclusive.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #9

HFWR and Nords: Did you vote?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised to discover that I view "class" as a function of the number of one's ostentatious material possessions and the brand of ... alcoholic beverage in their refrigerators.
Hmm.. really? Donald Trump is not my idea of "class".. but you're right; it's a loaded word.

Talking with people from England (probably the most traditionally "class-aware" society in the Western world) and Italy, I end up telling them that it's not really true that there aren't "classes" in the US.. just that the classes are distinguished more by money than by family or by education be it cultural or otherwise. In America money opens doors that 'good breeding' and cultcha don't. In Europe I get the feeling those with lotsa dough and no background are essentially viewed as mafiosi (and they may be right a lot of the time); anyway, they would never be viewed as "upper-class" as they are here by dint of means alone.

Even the most broke out-of-luck middle-/upper-class person tries to 'keep up appearances' as best they can and distinguish themselves from the masses, wearing a threadbare tailored suit and shirt rather than T-shirt/sweats. In that context, very few Americans, indeed, have any "class" whatsoever (and I don't exclude myself here)!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM   #11

raised - upwardly mobile from not much money very early on to country clubs, summer camps, boats, blah blah.
current income - someone else mentioned this in another post (sorry i do not remember who so i can not credit you but i just love it): "independently middle class."
current net worth - i guess upper middle class? no idea really; whatever mom left me.
social status - i pick my nose.

"you can pick your friends. you can pick your nose. but you can't pick your friend's nose."~~saying

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
No class...

Yet, a shitload of style...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
HFWR and Nords: Did you vote?
Yes, "middle class". (We turned off the feature that indicates how a poster voted.) But I'd be happy to edit the poll to include HFWR's category and then add myself to it...

Quote:
Even the most broke out-of-luck middle-/upper-class person tries to 'keep up appearances' as best they can and distinguish themselves from the masses, wearing a threadbare tailored suit and shirt rather than T-shirt/sweats. In that context, very few Americans, indeed, have any "class" whatsoever (and I don't exclude myself here)!
When I walk by Bob Dylan and he hands me $100 to get myself a haircut/shave and some nice clothes, then I'll know that I've finally dressed too far down... of course I'd probably ask Bob to autograph the $100 so that I could frame it and sell it on eBay.

I think the best definition of class is when one's possessions reflect that person's internal values instead of their credit rating net worth. That'd put The Donald deeply in the negatives on all counts.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Forget the US Census Bureau. Given only 4 choices, which one describes you best?
Well, if I'm describing myself, then I'll have to go for "Rich Class"! Heck, I've got enough money to last me for as long as I live, to do whatever I want to do, to go wherever I want to go, and live life any way I want to live it!

Of course, just like beauty, 'rich' is in the eye of the beholder. IMHO.

Most importantly (to me anyway) is the fact that I have a life that is worth living, and thoroughly enjoy living it!!! Now that I'm FI (and in my eyes, independently wealthy) I'll never have to w*rk again, ever, for the rest of my life. I've got everything that I could want or need. I've got my health, my family, my home, and all my other 'stuff'......oh yeah, and enough money to keep living life! So, IMO, I'm the richest guy on the planet!

Now that's what I call class!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #15

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
(We turned off the feature that indicates how a poster voted.)
You mean for future polls? Past polls should not be affected.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
".......but you can't pick your friend's nose."~~saying
Unless you're VERY close friends!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks.
You mean for future polls? Past polls should not be affected.
For a few chaotic hours after the software switch, it was possible for any ol' user to click on any poll's results, new or old, and see how each poster voted. For example the software would obligingly display exactly which category Sam & Nords "anonymously" voted in the "Net Worth" poll.

After it was fixed, I joked with the user who'd pointed it out that it was a good thing they'd spoken up or we'd never have noticed. The user riposted that we should worry about how many users had already noticed and elected not to say anything...

Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #18

Ok. May be you already know this: You can still create poll today with the option to make the votes NON-anonymous.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

So it seems.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Do you mean from a financial point of view income or net worth; how you were raised; or social status.
I was raised poor working class
I have a middle class income
I have an upper or possibly rich net worth
I live a social status of the lower middle class
Ditto.

I consider myself middle class. I know lots of people who would consider me rich, but that's just because they don't have a dime to their name. I also know some people that would consider me "not poor," but only because I never complain about not not being able to pay my bills. I also know a handful of people who are waiting for me to catch up to them and move up to their neighborhood.