Self-driving 18 Wheeler

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Daimler Trucks this week unveiled what it said is the world's first licensed 18-wheel semi-tractor trailer that can drive itself.

Daimler unveiled the new 18-wheeler yesterday during a ceremony at the Hoover Dam.

The Freightliner Inspiration Truck, a concept truck, underwent extensive testing, Daimler said, before the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles granted it a license to operate on public roads in the state. This past year, the truck was driven more than 10,000 miles during a test in Germany.

The first self-driving 18-wheeler hits the highways | Computerworld

I think I've seen one before in an old Dennis Weaver movie called "Duel" :LOL:

Duel (1971 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is impressive, despite not being a 100% robot car. From the linked article,

The vehicle monitors changes in conditions that require transition back to driver control when necessary in highway settings. The driver is in control of the vehicle for exiting the highway, on local roads and in docking for making deliveries.

This alleviates truck driver fatigue, although he cannot go to sleep while the truck drives itself.

Based on the number of semi drivers i've seen with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other, I thought they were already self driving.

IMHO: If there was a way to get the driver out of the cab and have the control given to a control room full of computers and operators. Like drones. It would be a lot safer. One of my tenants is a truck driver , young, alert , healthy... Until he dozed off at the wheel. Truck is all messed up and so is his back.

Back
Top Bottom