Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I heard a Uber will begin employing self-driving cars in Philly in the next few weeks. The future is here.
And Uber already is a solution for many elderly without the self-driving part. And of course eventually the self-driving part will make it cheaper to use. Although there will be benefits for everyone with self driving cars, including changes in commercial and residential structures and how cities are developed, particularly for land use and parking (looking at 2030 and beyond).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pittsburgh, actually.
Custom Volvo XC90s, supervised by humans in the driver's seat according to Bloomberg.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My daughter is 11, and I just told her that she may never learn how to drive, depending on how fast this technology reaches us. Thousands per year for teenage driver's insurance (on top of all other vehicle operation costs) or a few bucks to get her wherever she needs to go on occasion (via Autonomous Uber). I'm glad I didn't spend too much time fretting over the budget for teen driving-related expenses.

My mom, who's only 63 and recently retired, already hates driving. This would keep her mobile for many years. I also have two in-laws who came here from another country and never learned to drive, so self driving cars would free them up too without the need to drive.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Pittsburgh, actually.
Custom Volvo XC90s, supervised by humans in the driver's seat according to Bloomberg.
That's what I read too. Engineer on-board actually, and the ride is free. This is about training and building experience towards 100% autonomy, so the car isn't self-driving all the time.

Most companies are aiming for 2021 ramp-up. (A part of?) the Google team btw I last heard split off and then was acquired. Haven't fact-checked it.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Since roughly 2/3 of the cost of taxi is driver pay and benefits, you can cut the price of taxi ride by at least that much. You then build 2 person cars like Google has made without controls. Make them electric vehicle, buy an extra battery pack so they can be hot swapped in 90 seconds like Tesla has demonstrated. Your operating cost would in the neighborhood of $.02/mile for the small cars in most areas of the country.

You charge $3 flat rate for a ride to anyplace within 10 miles, (competitive with a bus fair) and $.15/mile beyond 10 miles. I am not sure a senior would want a car he could not drive given the robocar taxi alternative.

The technology for this is pretty much available now. The challenge is societal and regulatory one.
No one can run a car for 2 cents per mile...the depreciation alone is 12.5 cents per mile assuming that you get 200,000 miles out of a $30,000 vehicle and it's worth $5k when it reaches 200k miles. Then there is insurance, tires, maintenance, charging costs, etc.

However, if you start a business charging $3 per ride, I'll definitely be a customer!!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

I believe it will actually be in Pittsburgh, PA
Old 08-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
No one can run a car for 2 cents per mile...the depreciation alone is 12.5 cents per mile assuming that you get 200,000 miles out of a $30,000 vehicle and it's worth $5k when it reaches 200k miles. Then there is insurance, tires, maintenance, charging costs, etc.

However, if you start a business charging $3 per ride, I'll definitely be a customer!!
A few folks on the diesel scandal have cars now with negative depreciation

Wise-ass aside, how low could we go is a good question? 35 cents per mile is a fair estimate for 20k miles in a small ICE sedan today, of which 40% might be depreciation, 20% fuel and 40% everything else.

Going self-driving ups the mileage, and drops the relative depreciation (the time based part, which is the biggest part). Self-driving can reduce the insurance factor by 80% or more. If somehow it can be done electric maintenance will go down by maybe 50%, and fuel by 70%.

With these pretty wild assumptions I think you can end up with 10 - 15 cents or so per mile per car.

In dense urban areas you might get 3 people per car on average, 3 - 5 cents. Not quite there, but close
Old 08-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #28

I think I'd like one of these:

Quote:
It's powered by four electric motors, giving it all-wheel drive and a rated 738 horsepower. Mercedes claims a 0-100 kilometers per hour (62 mph) time of "less than 4 seconds," not quite in Tesla Motors'(NASDAQ:TSLA) "Ludicrous" league but more than fast enough to be thrilling. (And let's be fair: This thing is probably a lot heavier than a Model S.) The concept has an 80 kilowatt-hour battery that Mercedes said would give it an EPA-rated range of over 200 miles.
Is Daimler's Mercedes-Maybach 6 Concept the Greatest Electric Car Yet? -- The Motley Fool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electric_maybach.jpg (36.5 KB, 1 views)