Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Wait a minute. What happened to flying cars? When did that version of the future get pushed aside by driver-free cars?
Mr. Google is on that one too. Just not within Google.

Welcome to Larry Page’s Secret Flying Car Factories - Bloomberg
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Makes me think about Star Trek in "The Wrath of Con"...
LOL, one of my all-time fave malaprops. Have to re-use that one at some point.

Self-driving cars are going nowhere until the legalities behind them are well-established, which will take years. Responsibility/liability issues will be HUGE.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Current existing tech is already helping avoid accidents. Our Sequoia has sensors that alert us when objects are too close. I have no depth perception and those have saved me numerous times from backing into something or someone.

It also has a sway control system which saved us on a recent trailer trip. I didn't have the brake controller set right so the car was basically taking the brunt of all of the weight from the trailer. We were on a downgrade and the sway control kept going off. We finally pulled over and I realized I needed to fix the brake controller.

There was an article a few months ago about some car companies and Google research methods to protect people that may be hit and thrown by a car. One idea was a sticky substance that would act like fly paper and basically hold the person to the car.

So tech will probably be expanded to not only better protect those in the the vehicle, but those out as well.

Most accidents, I suspect, are caused by late reaction time. Computers can react infinitely faster then we can and probably just make the accident avoidable. Computers probably can much more safely manage the car in a spin out and even avoid the spin-out by rapidly adjusting the power and breaks on individual tires.

I do love to drive, but I also do get tired. I could drive while I was awake and let the car take over when I needed a rest.

I don't see why it would be Gov't controlled or even why individual ownership would need to be eradicated.

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #44

Absolutely cannot wait and hopefully they will arrive just in time for me. Totally agree with those pointing out that humans aren't making ethical decisions on which way to swerve at 70 mph and if the AI in my car decides it's me and not the toddlers that should take the hit then I am good with that. And as pointed out, the AI is much less likely to get into such a situation than I am.

Bring them on!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Many years ago, I took a performance driving course taught by a retired race driver (we practiced on an old racetrack). One of the principles that has stuck in my mind was: "When a collision is imminent, try to hit the softest target."

In other words, if you can either hit a live thing or go over a cliff/hit a rock wall, the live thing gets it. Basically this amounts to "save your own protoplasm first."

So that is the principle on which I would want my self-driving vehicle to operate. However, as an optimist, I am hopeful that a self-driving car's reactions will be superior to mine, allowing it to avoid both bad outcomes.

Amethyst

I could have used a few others as a quote, but yours talked about a race car driver.....

This was awhile back... but I was watching either CART race or any Indy car race.... the car was doing at least 180 if not more... he hit the brakes and the rotors blew apart.... so NO brakes... it took him less than half a second to turn his car into the concrete wall.... car started to come apart from the force... the car skidded down the track and came to rest on the wall at the turn....

During the interview the driver said that he had to slow his car down someway and the only way was use the wall!!! Better than slamming straight into another wall head on at 180 ish....

I was real surprised how fast he made that decision... it is not like that happens on a regular basis... in fact, that was the only time I have seen the rotors blow up....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Self driving cars are not that far from reality. The long term vision will come faster than you think.

In time, self driving cars will replace many jobs. I can envision cities with fairly large parking lots, all with inductive charging pads. When you use an app like Uber, the closet available car will dismount, and come to pick you up. Think Roomba.

After your ride, the car would head to the nearest charging lot, where the least amount of cars were scheduled to be at, and await the next call for a ride and charge. The 'system' would know the charging status and maintenance status.

Government would own all the cars, and a private vehicle would be illegal to own. Only diplomats and government officials would own their own cars, and even those would be paid for by the Government. They would be granted immunity from liability. They would NOT go over a bridge to save a pedestrian.

Taxi's would be non-existent. Just call the car, and it comes. Even longer trips could be arranged buy the car taking you to a distant lot, switching vehicles, and continuing the ride.

Car companies would be fewer. You no longer a 2+ cars per household. Perhaps one vehicle per 10 households would be needed. That means only 5% of the cars manufactured today.

The vehicles would be cheaper . No steering wheels, no engines, no emission controls, no muffler, no brake pedals, etc. Electric motors are cheap to manufacturer. Batteries will get much cheaper. There will be a lot less auto parts stores, less auto parts manufacturers, less junk yards, etc. Gas stations, that sell gas, would not be necessary. Oil changes would be obsolete.

Much like the government today owns the public transit system, the government would own all the self-driving cars. Everyone would have equal assess to anywhere they needed to go. At the same priority, unless the government assigns you a higher priority. There would be much less advantage to living in the city or suburb in regards to transportation.

People's visits could be tracked, and that would have implications for crime fighting and tracking missing people. Places that people should not go, such as environmentally sensitive areas, would not be a valid destination. Area 51 and Yellow Stone would be off limits except to the EPA and Government officials.

It will be a great life, and it's coming soon.
Sounds to me like a long stretch in Federal Prison is more appealing than this scenario.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sounds to me like a long stretch in Federal Prison is more appealing than this scenario.
Better yet, get a job as a "government official"! They seem to have all the perks in this plan.

[Edit] I just noticed that the comment aja8888 was responding to was posted by "Senator", so....yeah.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Just remember, if you went back in time and told someone from 1850 that by 1950 "very few people would own a horse" they'd assume that the quality of life had gone downhill considerably.

I can envision some day where kids will say "Grampy, tell us again how you used to drive your car by yourself...it must've been so dangerous!"
Old 06-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I can envision some day where kids will say "Grampy, tell us again how you used to drive your car by yourself...it must've been so dangerous!"
And then if you try to explain we had carburetors, and we had to learn to use a manual "choke" in cold weather, well... they won't believe 'ya!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And then if you try to explain we had carburetors, and we had to learn to use a manual "choke" in cold weather, well... they won't believe 'ya!

-ERD50
My dad had to set the spark advance and crank it without losing his thumb.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My dad had to set the spark advance and crank it without losing his thumb.
Your Dad had spark advance!!?? Luxury!

My Dad had to hold the magneto coil in his teeth, while cranking the engine with a broken arm, while standing in a puddle of water!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

My Dad had to hold the magneto coil in his teeth, while cranking the engine with a broken arm, while standing in a puddle of water!

-ERD50
My Dad had to make his own gasoline by cooking crude oil on the kitchen stove.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #53

imagine if Mr Ford were delivered two model-t's, one was self-driving... which would he choose?

The different experience that comes with autonomous driving would not be initially enjoyed by me...I become one with my vehicle and the experience that comes with manually driving a car...it's almost like a pet that I keep alive and well as long as I can, groomed for a Westchester Gold at a moments notice.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #54

Ah I love the banter about the good old days. I was going to take it up another notch but before you know it someone's ancestor is dragging themselves up out of an ancient ocean and the thread gets locked. I want to hear more about self-driving cars.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
That's nothing. My dad had no teeth nor an arm. And it was a 30 year drought, thus no water.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

you are what you drive, not what drives you
Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

More about self driving cars? OK. I tried to read everything, but may have missed this.

The ultimate vision is... no traffic control lights. Who needs them? The cars know. Just like there are no green or red lights in the sky, there will be no TCLs. Cars will flow freely through intersections, perfectly timed to "weave" through each other. (I'm searching desperately for an animated gif and can't find it.)

Being a passenger in these cars -- it could be quite frightful. Every intersection will be a near miss. But if you want to do it and reach the full potential, it has to go to this extreme. Keep in mind the cars won't just "examine their environment and drive". No, they will talk to each other and give instructions to each other to allow this weaving to occur.

Pedestrians? Bridges and tunnels in high traffic areas. TCLs will still exist only for pedestrians at designated intersections or designated crossing areas.

Manual drivers? You are not allowed. Presumably the cars would see you as a manual driver, report you, and a robo cop would come and extract you with significant fine or loss of all manual driving privileges.

Although it may be very efficient, I see this future as depressing.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Here's a real-life example of an accident that I avoided, but that I doubt a driverless car would be able to avoid: Driving after a big snowstorm, a car (who couldn't see around the snowbank) pulled out of a parking lot directly into my path. My obvious options were (1) slam on the brakes, which may have reduced my speed some but would not have avoided the collision, or (2) swerve into oncoming traffic. But I chose another option - I intentionally veered to the right and sideswiped the snowbank, and thereby was able to stop in time to avoid a collision. It's hard to imagine that a driverless car would be programmed to do the same. Among other things, it would have to recognize the obstruction on the right as being a snowbank rather than a rock or something else.
No problem. Cars would have GPS and be able to talk with each other when they are within 1/4 mile away or so. Based on the car's trajectory, only cars that could even collide would need to 'see' each other. Cars headed away, or on opposing streets, would not need to link up.

My own car has anti-skid options. Cars would know the traction that the road had. Previous cars that went that route would feed into the system. And would take the cautious approach if there was any doubt. Not much different than traffic speeds today and GPS.

Easy problem to solve.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
No problem. Cars would have GPS and be able to talk with each other when they are within 1/4 mile away or so. Based on the car's trajectory, only cars that could even collide would need to 'see' each other. Cars headed away, or on opposing streets, would not need to link up.

My own car has anti-skid options. Cars would know the traction that the road had. Previous cars that went that route would feed into the system. And would take the cautious approach if there was any doubt. Not much different than traffic speeds today and GPS.

Easy problem to solve.
Yes, if the other car is a driverless car, or had 2 way telemetry, this would not happen. Just like the "intersection weaving" will be possible.

However, if we allow manual cars (classic?) on the road, then anything can happen. I think the real challenge will be the phase-over years.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The ultimate vision is... no traffic control lights. Who needs them? The cars know. Just like there are no green or red lights in the sky, there will be no TCLs. Cars will flow freely through intersections, perfectly timed to "weave" through each other.

Here's an interesting article from CNET discussing V-2-V, or vehicle to vehicle. The cars will be talking to each other, keeping in constant contact with each other so they all know what the others are doing. Not really in the context of self driving cars, but more near-term, as a safety refinement, while we're still allowed to drive. But, it does lay the foundation for the elimination of TCL's noted above.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-did-on...left-turn-yet/
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote