Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I one thing for sure about self-driving cars:

It's a fun topic that generates lots of opinions.
This is number 120 in this one thread in less than three days.
So what I hear you saying that self driving cars is as dividing as abortion, religion and gun control?

Hey...it's better than yet another thread on Brexit!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tesla has had it's first death during self-driving mode.

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss

Didn't see a semi directly in front of it.

Yes, I believe we will get to self-driving eventually, but we still have a ways to go. Programs need to adapt to unusual/illegal activity by other people on the highway. Also to poorly marked roads and terrible weather.

That looks like it could take a while longer.
Uh...welcome to the thread. I take it you didn't read the previous 20 comments before sharing.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Uh...welcome to the thread. I take it you didn't read the previous 20 comments before sharing.
Sorry. I should have done more reading.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
This is one of my pet peeves. With correctly adjusted mirrors and nothing blocking the windows, there is no blind spot. Unfortunately, it seems that all new vehicles have this feature, and those of us who don't need or want it are still forced to pay for it.
After almost getting side swiped a few times when I got my most recent car (I used to set my mirrors the common incorrect way), I went ahead and adjusted the mirrors the "correct" way.

The adjustment is great most of the time, except if I parallel park, I can't see the sides of my car and readjusting takes a bit of trial and error to get the setting just right.

But overall, I'm a believer. Now, if I can only convince folks who borrow my car to adjust to avoid getting sideswiped.

Old thread if interested... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nny-68262.html
Old 07-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

I foresee a lengthy transition period, where driver less cars share the roads with the conventional driven ones. Probably reminiscent of the early 20th century with horses and cars sharing the roads. It won't be pleasant.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Many humans have already perfected the art of artificial intelligence...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #127
Moderator Emeritus

The future:

Year 2150:

News Flash on Facebook V23: Self Driving Cars (SDC's) are having trouble avoiding the Amazon drones that are clogging the streets looking for residences for deliveries of food rations these days. There have been just too many accidents and the insurance companies are raising rates (again)."

(Government Directive after reviewing statistics (three years later))

To All Owners of SDC's: "Starting in 2155, all SDC's will now be equipped with human control at all times for the purpose of maintaining crash avoidance. Any SDC found without human control will be permanently disabled and the responsible human owner fined 10 days food rations"

Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We purchased an Acura MDX, about a month ago.This car has Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Now that we have driven it for about four weeks, some observations.

I love the two systems on the highway! I wondered how it determined my hands were on the wheel. I think I figured out it looks for minute steering pressure on the wheel. I can hold on with my thumb and fore finger and as the wheel moves, a very slight resistance to the turn will signal to the computer you are steering. If you take your had off the wheel, no resistance and it will give you a warning in about 46 secs.

This is not a system you can kick back and read a newspaper. You can however, look around more. Take your hand off the wheel and get something out of your pocket or glove box. On a divided highway feels ok. On the back road two lane, not so much.

The ACC is really nice. Set it for the speed limit and if the car in front is going slower, it does not run up on it. With regular cruise control, you have to kick it off and the urge to pass a slower car sets in. Often we will hold behind a car going a couple miles under the speed limit for awhile before we notice. It is a more relaxed way to drive.

I think you do loose a little 'situational awareness' as we say in the flying game. Because you are not quite as concerned with staying in your lane, and you monitor the system to make sure it is still on, I don't seem to pay as much attention what is beside or behind. This has nothing to do with the assisted driving, but the Acura looses cars in the rear view mirror when the nose of the car reaches your back bumper. The side mirrors will pick it up, and will show it until is equal with driver side/passenger side window. It take a little getting use to if you don't have a habit of monitoring the side mirrors. The Acura comes with a system that monitors cars around you, but our model does not have it. Next one will.

ACC: This works well on the open road with cars in front. No problem with normal traffic cutting in front going faster or about the same speed. However, it is not so good if the guy in front slows suddenly. It will slow also, but it is more aggressive than it needs to be. It does get your attention. Once more, if you are paying attention, you can usually anticipate this and kick the ACC off.

No intention of hijacking the thread. Just some thoughts of simi-autonomous driving.
One big incremental improvement they could do with this technology right now, is to have mandatory cruise control on the open rural interstates, where the car maintains the speed limit. The big danger today is most people seem to drive either 10 mph over or under the speed limit. With no one driving a constant speed. Long trips would be much less tiring if there wasn't this constant need to jockey for position, because of those going too fast or too slow.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
One big incremental improvement they could do with this technology right now, is to have mandatory cruise control on the open rural interstates, where the car maintains the speed limit. The big danger today is most people seem to drive either 10 mph over or under the speed limit. With no one driving a constant speed. Long trips would be much less tiring if there wasn't this constant need to jockey for position, because of those going too fast or too slow.
In theory this sounds great, but there is enough error in most cruise controls (and speedometers) that this wouldn't really work. Think of the older Civic with a I-4 that can't really maintain 70 MPH on a slight grade, or the cruise control that seeks a speed while varying 3-4 MPH while doing it. When I lived in Texas, I spent quite a many miles on the rural stretches of highway and I didn't see this being a big issue. What *was* annoying are the trucks that are governed to 63 MPH and they decide to pass someone where the speed limit is 80 or 85 MPH.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
How would that be enforced? We can't even enforce not texting while driving and other distractions. Adaptive cruise control is probably meant to address much the same issue, and adaptive will undoubtedly become more and more common in the years ahead. Eventually Luddites will be (in) the greatest danger

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is one of my pet peeves. With correctly adjusted mirrors and nothing blocking the windows, there is no blind spot. Unfortunately, it seems that all new vehicles have this feature, and those of us who don't need or want it are still forced to pay for it.

NOT ALWAYS!!!!

I was driving home the other day.... and I was in a lane that merged from one highway into another... I was watching the car in front of me since it was a bit dodgy and I did not know what he was going to do....

So, get on the new freeway with 3 lanes and I was going to change lanes... looked in my rear view mirror.... looked at my right side mirror which IS adjusted properly.... and also looked to the right as a last check... and I did not see anything... was about to change lanes when the black pickup that was next to me moved up just a bit that I saw him just before me moving over...

He was at a spot where his headlights were not visible in my side mirror and the door and pillars hid him very well.... and he was black so blended in with the night...

Now, I will admit that this is a very rare event.... but your blanket stmt of no blind spot is just wrong... you can minimize it with adjusted mirrors, but cannot eliminate it all together....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:40 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I use cruise control all the time when I am driving on the highway, so adaptive cruise control is something that I would also use. However, as I do not drive fast, it would not kick in for a slower car in front as often as it would for most drivers.

Most of my long-range driving now is on the MH, where I just set the speed then let other cars pass me. On the interstates, I keep to the right lane and just mind my own business.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
but your blanket stmt of no blind spot is just wrong... you can minimize it with adjusted mirrors, but cannot eliminate it all together....
The blind spot is completely eliminated in my car. However, to be fair, I can't say that for all vehicles. But, I have yet to drive a car where I haven't been able to completely eliminate the blind spot.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Many humans have already perfected the art of artificial intelligence...
Very true. But if a computer is going to drive me, I want a better form of AI than that of a texting teenager.

My daughter was rammed broadside at an intersection by a teenage driver. I strongly suspect he was texting. He totaled both my daughter's car and his parents' BMW. The side airbag of the Civic saved my daughter.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #135
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interestingly the issue of self driving cars is illustrated in Clarkes Imperial Earth. Essentially the self driving feature works on highways but on driveways and the like the car just stops until manual control is engaged. Just like were I live I doubt that self driving cars will get me the last mile or so as the street does not have white lines on the side or center. How many residential streets are wide enough to handle both parking on both sides as well as lane markings so you have 12 foot each way clear lanes? Often with 2 cars parked one on each side you get only 1 thru lane.
But actually rural interstates already have the white stripes both between the lanes and on the edges of the road needed for lane departure and road departure warning, which are the technologies that will be used in the future.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I one thing for sure about self-driving cars:

It's a fun topic that generates lots of opinions.
This is number 120 in this one thread in less than three days.
Cars are passion for many people. Cars are a bit of technology that completely changed our society. Cars are ubiquitous. Cars kill people. Cars both drive and have driven technology. Cars built cities. Cars built a middle class. Cars built pensions.

We are now on the edge of a huge change in the way we view and interact with cars. This will create a lot of discussion. It has only just begun.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Of course the key to all this is that they only have to become statistically BETTER than human drivers in aggregate to slowly become more and more accepted and eventually required IMO. I suspect that current self driving technology is already much better than human drivers including the strange ethical dilemmas, quirky detection etc. Humans make TONS of errors all the time and that is shown by the number of fatalities in cars. Over time technology has reduced that rate via making survival more likely and accidents more difficult.

It's take a generation or so before people become comfortable, but my kids will likely not remember what it was like before self driving cars in the same way that I don't remember cars before seat belts. I do remember a brief time before airbags and automatic windows
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Well, sounds like they'll have solved the obesity problem by then, anyway. Apparently, by rationing food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The future:

Year 2150:

News Flash on Facebook V23: Self Driving Cars (SDC's) are having trouble avoiding the Amazon drones that are clogging the streets looking for residences for deliveries of food rations these days. There have been just too many accidents and the insurance companies are raising rates (again)."

(Government Directive after reviewing statistics (three years later))

To All Owners of SDC's: "Starting in 2155, all SDC's will now be equipped with human control at all times for the purpose of maintaining crash avoidance. Any SDC found without human control will be permanently disabled and the responsible human owner fined 10 days food rations"

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The blind spot is completely eliminated in my car. However, to be fair, I can't say that for all vehicles. But, I have yet to drive a car where I haven't been able to completely eliminate the blind spot.
Even at night... in all conditions?

At least you are right until you are not.....

BTW, I felt the same way as you.... but have had it proven to me twice that I was wrong... lucky for me I did not change lanes...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
Of course the key to all this is that they only have to become statistically BETTER than human drivers in aggregate to slowly become more and more accepted and eventually required IMO.
True.

Quote:
I suspect that current self driving technology is already much better than human drivers including the strange ethical dilemmas, quirky detection etc. Humans make TONS of errors all the time and that is shown by the number of fatalities in cars...
False.

The statistics that Tesla quotes of 130 million miles for the 1st fatality is just a spin from the company. How many drop outs of the autopilots happened that required taking over by the driver who had to remain fully attentive as stated by the company? How many times the driver has to override the autopilot, when it did not even know that it could not handle the driving? Any of these could have resulted in a fatal accident (see numerous youtube videos), had the driver not been attentive to take over. The Florida driver was not paying attention to notice that the Tesla autopilot failed to see the semi-trailer. He died. How many people could have died if they were not paying attention?

Let me ask any Tesla autopilot user out there. How many miles can you have the autopilot engaged without it hiccuping (either dropping out voluntarily or requiring you to take over forcefully)? Can you go for 100 miles without a problem? If it drops out every 10 miles, then that's how soon you would get killed if you were dozing off.

The 130 million miles statistics is just a spin by the company, who is acting more and more like politicians. It's bull ****. Do not fall for it.

Tesla autopilots only work on highways, and cannot navigate city streets, or shopping mall parking lots. Google cars are much more advanced, and they cannot really do that either.