Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I agree, though there are specific things I would like to do again. But they don't involve what one would normally call travel- more like moving for 6 months or so to another place.
Yes, that is a different experience. I have lived for more than a year in each of 7 states (8, if you count northern and southern California as two states), and spent much of my childhood abroad. What I REALLY want is roots and ties to the place where I live. People seem to take this for granted but to me, it is more like a goal.

Quote:
Why not just head on down to Wal-Mart and buy a DVD and leave $9,990 in the bank?

Good point.

Quote:
Why not drive a few miles outside one's own town and hike a wilderness trail? There you will see wildlife, but you will at least expoend some effort and skill finding it.

Why not go to Las Vegas and match wits with the linesmakers?
Frank and I have had a great time over the years just exploring southeast Louisiana together. Many of those who are so anxious to become "well traveled" haven't even bothered to explore the possibilities and experiences of their own part of the world.

I do think that I learned something from all my travels. I learned that people are pretty much the same wherever you go, and that culture/customs are just a pretty veneer painted over that.

Quote:
I think I may be polishing my curmudgeon claims. I wish it weren't so but there seems to be no cure.

Is there such a thing as a curmudgeoness, and if so can I be one? Hey, I'm even from Louisiana like UncleMick so that has to count for something.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I agree, though there are specific things I would like to do again. But they don't involve what one would normally call travel- more like moving for 6 months or so to another place.
that's just precisely what i have in mind. that way i can travel but not really leave home because home would be where i traveled to. it works if you travel by rv or boat like a turtle or if you live in a place for 6 months to a year before traveling on like, i guess, a hermit crab. only 6 months offers lots of time to socialize.

Quote:
What specifically bothers you about leaving the house? Just a comfort thing? I know that some people have a real problem with this.
well, erd50, i was sort of kidding, but i can wing serious. we don't get frozen pipes in florida but we do get hurricanes. i know lots of people just close up their houses but i'd rather not have to even think about it.

the freedom thing you mention rings true. right now, these houses are the only thing holding me down. i did the house thing. had a lot of fun with it. but now i don't want this anymore. just took care of my brother's dog for three weeks. i don't want that in my life now either. if i want another dog and a house later, i'll get them later. is there gonna be another bubble before i die that will keep me out of real estate?

the only option on owning a home i might consider would be if portability passes in florida (vote yes on 1, thank you), maybe get a small condo which is easy to close and has lots of other residents to worry about the building. then if i decide five or ten years down the line that i want to be in florida i'd keep my tax savings earned over the last decade plus. otherwise, the garden is complete; my work here is done; thailand, i'll have a cold one.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

What prodded me out of my comfort zone was having a scary health situation and realizing I might die without having lived the life I wanted to live. Lucky for me that particular thing turned out ok, so I was able to take a long travel around the world to experience the things I'd always wanted.
The last time I was groaning in agony in the emergency room (just acute appendicitis, but didn't know that at the time) I was in pain, but not angry, because I'd lived.
For me it was travel, for others it may be knitting a sweater or owning a particular car, but whatever it is, figure out a way to do it in a way that doesn't break the bank.
There's a peace that comes only with having tried the things you wanted to try, even if you fail.
If you'd like to travel but you're scared of a language problem (as I was) you could start with England, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand. They speak something close to American those places, not that you'll understand everybody. Just pick somewhere that YOU have always wanted to go, not somewhere you think you should want to go.
I hope you don't have to have a health scare to get moving.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
The last time I was groaning in agony in the emergency room (just acute appendicitis, but didn't know that at the time) I was in pain, but not angry, because I'd lived.
For me it was travel, for others it may be knitting a sweater or owning a particular car, but whatever it is, figure out a way to do it in a way that doesn't break the bank.
There's a peace that comes only with having tried the things you wanted to try, even if you fail.
You are absolutely right about this. If you feel unfulfilled, do whatever it takes to fix it. For me was raising my children. Always prior I felt restless. I haven't since. I sure want to live, but if someone were to shoot me in the head tomorrow I wouldn't feel that I had missed out on life, because my whole being has been engaged.

Ha
Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
mega, was just sort of kidding. i'm pretty sure most new vettes beat the stang. all depends though on who's driving, doesn't it? most of the new vettes here are driven rather conservatively. i'm one of the few nut cases still out there. under the hood is just a stock v8 in a gt vertible, but it's pretty quick. i don't know why people pay so much for a day at disney. i have that much fun just going to the store.
owning a vette has been one of my dreams since my teens. Different vette, but not ... if you know what I mean. So I was wondering if you had a Shelby or a souped up stang.
You're right ... it depends upon the driver ... and I know what you are saying about driving to the store. Hope to see you on the street one day ...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #26

Finding motivation is a big issue for me too, especially now that I'm FIRE'd... I've basically created a world where I have zero responsibility and can stay at home doing random projects and vegging out for long periods of time.

I'll share some things that have been helpful for me:

1. Find a men's group that you attend regularly. In a good Men's group people set up challenges for the other men with specific consequence. E.g. "LazyBum will go to the gym three times over the next week, or pay $20 per day missed to the group". Every so often the group uses whatever money has accumulated to go out and do something fun. Having someone looking out to make sure you follow through on your commitments is really helpful.

2. Plan your days. I've gotten into a little habit that every day before I do anything I decide what I want to accomplish that day, and plan exactly what I'm going to do on little post it notes. I also take time to look forward at the calendar and see what I want to schedule for the future. I call this 5-10 minutes a day my "mission control".
Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always heard if you self-manipulated too much, you'd go blind.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Now this is thread where I really don't want to see pictures
Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
nah, just contacts and glaucoma, but it was worth it.

Quote:
owning a vette has been one of my dreams...a souped up stang.
You're right ... it depends upon the driver ... and I know what you are saying about driving to the store. Hope to see you on the street one day ...
there's a computer chip that would beef up the gt a bit (especially it would tighten the transmission) and i'm told there'd be no trace but i didn't want to chance voiding the warranty. still, it's plenty fast enough for my reflexes.

so, you wanna drag do ya....

Video - Camaro dominating people while pulling a BBQ. Hilarious!

Quote:
I've basically created a world where I have zero responsibility
same here free4now. who would have thought that could be such a problem.

"if you have no troubles, buy a goat."~~proverb

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
nah, just contacts and glaucoma, but it was worth it.
apologies for being so crude ... but I have 'heard' that another by product is hairy palms
Quote:
there's a computer chip that would beef up the gt a bit (especially it would tighten the transmission) and i'm told there'd be no trace but i didn't want to chance voiding the warranty. still, it's plenty fast enough for my reflexes.

so, you wanna drag do ya....
will let you know when I get my vette. ... it's been a long time though ... some pleasant memories ... bring your pink slip ...