Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just recently sold a car in a private transaction in Texas. The plates belong to the seller, not the car, and are transferable to another vehicle owned, or subsequently purchased, by the seller if desired. Upon sale in a private transaction, the seller has the option to remove the plates and reg sticker before delivering to the buyer. Essentially, this just forces the buyer to go directly to the County tax office to pay sales tax and complete the title transfer process immediately. So some sellers do this even though it's not required nor necessary to protect the seller. The buyer can print out a temporary paper tag, which entitles them to a one-way trip to the tax office.

In most cases, the seller simply leaves the plates on the car. By law, the buyer has 30 days to complete the title transfer process and pay the sales tax. The seller protects himself by filling out the Vehicle Transfer Notification form on the Texas DMV website, which transfers all liability to the buyer, even though title may not officially transfer for up to 30 days. The form has a place to indicate whether or not you left your plates on the car. If you did, they will most likely be transferred to the buyer unless they want new plates for some reason.

Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #42

I said the license plate is registered to the car. Not the owner. It is illegal to just put the plate on another car. If you have the plates transferred to another car, that's a different story, because now they are registered to that car.

You cant just move plates from car to car was my point. The other poster said her son needed the plates so he could put them on his new car when he bought it. He doesnt NEED to do that. He will get new plates with a new car.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #43

In SC we can reuse the plates pretty easily. But yeah, you better register the plate to the new car in a big hurry. The Popo don't take kindly to them not matching.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Illegal in Texas also...and I suspect in most states. The license plates are registered to the car not to a person (could be different in some states I guess)
plates belong to the person here (not TX)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
... It is illegal to just put the plate on another car. If you have the plates transferred to another car, that's a different story, because now they are registered to that car.

You cant just move plates from car to car was my point. The other poster said her son needed the plates so he could put them on his new car when he bought it. He doesnt NEED to do that. He will get new plates with a new car.
I read nothing in Sue J's original post that suggested her son would not properly transfer the plates to his new car. Obviously, his new car has to be registered. He just wanted to use his old plates. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, especially if they were personalized plates that cost a lot of money. I think perhaps you and travelover interpreted "put them" a little too literally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
...My son needed his license plates back so he could put them on his next car when he buys it...
At least we seem to have clarified for the record that it is perfectly legal and even encouraged (at least in Texas) to retain your plates and transfer them to your next car when it is registered.

In a private party transaction however, unless they are personalized plates, there's really no practical reason to do this. It doesn't protect you (the seller) to any greater degree than filling out the Vehicle Transfer Notification form. And it's a huge inconvenience to the buyer who, despite having 30 days by law, is now forced to drive directly to the County tax office. Again, this is Texas. I'm quite sure each state has some variation on this theme.

Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craigslist, private car sale, selling car