Join Early Retirement Today

selling clothes on eBay?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

selling clothes on eBay?

Just finished reading Save Karyn and it has inspired me to sell my junk. I've got alot of clothes I don't wear anymore (some I never wore) and was thinking about selling it off on eBay. I thought it was weird at first but after doing some research on eBay it looks like people do it all the time. Where can I purchase a few of those shipping bags for tshirts and jeans?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not trying to stear you away....but the last time I sold clothes on ebay (DW's hardly used name brand jeans), I had included a fixed amount for shipping of $5 (I think) and when it was all through and done - after eBay fees, listing fees and postage (not to mention the time to photograph and list it correctly) - it only cost me a $1.75 to sell them on eBay (uhhh....that's NET - after subtracting expenses from the sale price)....was gonna make it up on volume, but decided that CHKD needed our stuff more

I HAVE found that most other household items can and DO sell SUPRISINGLY well.....just NOT clothing....at least not for me!

Good luck with your efforts and please let us know how it all goes for you!!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cleaned out my closet and sold all my Liz Claiborne Clothes on ebay .I would only sell good brand name clothes .Some did well some I just broke even with. I found the cheapest way to ship them is a large manilla envelope and ship first class .I also cleaned out my china closet and sold a large set of antique dishes . A few at a time and on that I made a bundle .
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have purchased Levi's jeans on Ebay. I was looking for a particular cut & size that I couldn't find out at the store anymore (probably "last years" model, but they were the best fit I'd ever had for jeans).

I think you'll certainly do better selling specific name brands vs. unknown brands. Emphasize (if it's true) that it's a non-smoking home. Take lots of pictures of the items front & back, making sure it's obvious that it's stain-free and untorn. Make sure the sizing is listed correctly and you may wish to even add measurements to assure that the buyer is getting what they want and will fit them.

Good luck!

Charlotte
Old 07-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The best thing I sold in the way of clothes was my Mother of the bride dress . I sold it shortly after the wedding and recouped almost the whole amount . I also sold a vintage sweater that someone gave me for $25.00 . Anything vintage sells great .