Selling house, low-ball offer received, need advice - long

Yes, the market has told us the price, at least for a sale to a local buyer. Sad, but true.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about losing both deals over $3k.

Second buyers cruised by the house tonight as did wife's father. Guess they are all making sure it's still here.

What he means is that $3000 is not much to give up for certainty that the deal will happen.

I agree. I would grab the cash deal and make plans for Florida.

Ha

Even though the winter seems like a distant future, in real estate season, it's not that far away. August is typically a very slow month, and after a small bump in September, the season is over. I would also grab the cash offer and leave.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about losing both deals over $3k.

The cash buyer will not hang around. They're off looking at the vast crop of REOs and foreclosures ... eye balling the 7k fed tax credit (or is 8k?). Meanwhile your buyer needs a loan, grant and a home sale before closing.

My guess is your buyer needs 3 months - minimum - to pull off his end. I've waited as long as 5 months to close with these kinds of buyers. Lots bank switches or outright rejections ... it's not pretty.

3k doesn't seem worth it.

The cash buyer will not hang around. They're off looking at the vast crop of REOs and foreclosures ... eye balling the 7k fed tax credit (or is 8k?). Meanwhile your buyer needs a loan, grant and a home sale before closing.

My guess is your buyer needs 3 months - minimum - to pull off his end. I've waited as long as 5 months to close with these kinds of buyers. Lots bank switches or outright rejections ... it's not pretty.

3k doesn't seem worth it.

My buyer does not need the Welcome Home grant and doesn't qualify for the $8k because they are selling a home, i.e. they are recent owners. The buyer of my buyer's house needs the grant. Their sale deal has been in progress for awhile and is due to close at the end of August. I'm looking to expedite the closing of their current home.

I will check with Aunt Realtor today to determine the state of the other deal. If it is very fuzzy, I will look at the all-cash offer again.

More food for thought ... if you went back to the cash buyer in 3 or 4 months, I'll bet a shiny nickel the offer they make will be lower (~10k or more).

Just signed the papers for a deal with the second couple at $240k. Aunt Realtor settled for 2%. Our costs will be realtor commission ($4,800), transfer taxes ($960), prorated property taxes ($1840), and about $150 in other fees. Proceeds will be about $232,250. Closing is scheduled for no later than August 31 with occupancy 30 days later. We are not paying any of their closing costs.

As we were signing the papers, we received a call from another local realtor asking for a showing Tuesday evening. Local realtor said his buyers had driven by the house several times and had checked out the website and are qualified to buy the house. He also commented there aren't many homes like ours available nor are there many local buyers available who can afford a house priced in this range. Duh! So where the heck have they been?! You snooze, we lose! They will come Tueday and possibly place a backup offer.

There is a contingency on the current offer that the buyers' house must close by our closing date of August 31st. If we wanted to play nasty when (if) another offer is received, we could force the contingency to be removed within 48 hours. Parents would then have to co-sign the mortgage or some other nonsense so we probably won't be taking that route. If we get another offer and something actually falls apart on the buyer's side we would act but if all is progressing well we won't force the removal of the contingency.

Another upside of having this couple in the neighborhood is they are friends of the 28-year old widow across the street and 3 houses down. The widow has 3 kids under 6. Her husband dropped over dead in January at the age of 28 of a heart attack.

Another upside of having this couple in the neighborhood is they are friends of the 28-year old widow across the street and 3 houses down. The widow has 3 kids under 6. Her husband dropped over dead in January at the age of 28 of a heart attack.

Bringing that relationship to the table is important information. Community is much more valuable than the difference in the offers.

Just signed the papers for a deal with the second couple at $240k. Aunt Realtor settled for 2%. Our costs will be realtor commission ($4,800), transfer taxes ($960), prorated property taxes ($1840), and about $150 in other fees. Proceeds will be about $232,250. Closing is scheduled for no later than August 31 with occupancy 30 days later. We are not paying any of their closing costs.

As we were signing the papers, we received a call from another local realtor asking for a showing Tuesday evening. Local realtor said his buyers had driven by the house several times and had checked out the website and are qualified to buy the house. He also commented there aren't many homes like ours available nor are there many local buyers available who can afford a house priced in this range. Duh! So where the heck have they been?! You snooze, we lose! They will come Tueday and possibly place a backup offer.

There is a contingency on the current offer that the buyers' house must close by our closing date of August 31st. If we wanted to play nasty when (if) another offer is received, we could force the contingency to be removed within 48 hours. Parents would then have to co-sign the mortgage or some other nonsense so we probably won't be taking that route. If we get another offer and something actually falls apart on the buyer's side we would act but if all is progressing well we won't force the removal of the contingency.

Congrats on your sale and anticipated closure. I've been reading all the posts but have not commented as I had nothing to offer regarding the details. Just interesting reading. Also, my son was in the process of closing on his new home in Naples, Fl. He went through a nightmare with the mortgage company, probably because it was a VA loan. He closed yesterday and it was supposed to close 7-15. Always another paper to sign, made him buy flood insurance before he even closed, had to prove that the $4000 we gave him was a gift and that he did not get it as a loan. All that stuff is understandable but why does it take 10 extra days to come up with this stuff. Like, "oh yeah, we can't read the copy of your drivers license, please redo", "we need your signature on this document, we'll fax to you, sign it and fax back to us" (takes three days to resolve), and misc bullcrap like that. Here I thought mortgage companies were trying to help. Guess they got burned too many times.

Anyway, looks like you've made the deal and it's normal to have that contingent about the buyers having to close on the sale of their home before they close on your sale. If something were to happen on their sale, they wouldn't want to be forced to proceed with closing on your home. Just a safeguard. I've seen some strange things happen that put the brakes on a closing, like one of the sellers dies and the surviving lady decided she better stay where she is. Complications!

Once again, congrats and best wishes.

JOHNNIE36 - Congrats to your son on his purchase. Did he feel like he got a good deal given the state of the market?

JOHNNIE36 - Congrats to your son on his purchase. Did he feel like he got a good deal given the state of the market?

Yeah, for him it's just what he wanted. Place to park his boat, gulf access right across the street, close to his work, and an up and coming neighborhood. He says it's a gold mine. We'll see. I haven't seen it yet but will the the week in August when he's moving. Paid $184000 and its only 1300 sq ft. Sounds like too much but I have to see it. Nice lot and it was recently refurbished, new appliances, real hardwood floors, granite countertops, etc.

I haven't seen it yet but will the week in August when he's moving.

I would wait until one week AFTER he moved to go visit. :LOL:

I emailed the discount broker who provides my Realtor.com access (I am not in the local MLS as ForSaleByOwner.com had no discount broker partner out in corn country) so she could change the status of my listing to Pending. She congratulated me on having a signed offer that has a closing date. She said only about 10% of her 1,000 listings have an offer and many are shaky. Very, very bad out there. She is located in northern CA so I would assume the majority of her listings are from CA.

The tentative closing date of August 31 has been firmed for August 21. The kids will close with their buyers at 1:30 pm and we will close with the kids at 4:30 pm. Yikes, it's time to move! We have 30 days to move out after closing but since the kids have only 15 days to move out of their house we will try to be out in 15 days so they don't have to move twice in 2 weeks.

We've got the truck reserved and boxes, bubble wrap, and packing paper on the way. I think the the plan is coming together!

The tentative closing date of August 31 has been firmed for August 21. The kids will close with their buyers at 1:30 pm and we will close with the kids at 4:30 pm. Yikes, it's time to move! We have 30 days to move out after closing but since the kids have only 15 days to move out of their house we will try to be out in 15 days so they don't have to move twice in 2 weeks.

We've got the truck reserved and boxes, bubble wrap, and packing paper on the way. I think the the plan is coming together!

Good work. Glad it all worked out the way you hoped.

Ha

Buckeye, sounds like you did very well considering the current state of the market. Glad to hear it is all coming together the way you had hoped- and also that flaky couple 1 are now out of the picture. :D

What is your new FIRE username going to be when you move out of the Buckeye State?:whistle:

I am so envious!! You are on your way and your plans are coming to fruition. Definitely a great outcome.

Frank and I are hoping to be in that situation sometime in 2010, with any luck, but I am not looking forward to the "house selling" part of our move.

What is your new FIRE username going to be when you move out of the Buckeye State?:whistle:

I had the buckeye nut permanently implanted soon after my arrival in corn country. It was a condition of employment to ensure I rooted for the correct college football team. Brain damage might ensue should it be removed causing me to root for a FL college football team.:LOL:

Congrats Buckeye! We hope to be moving to Florida sometime in the next year, too!

I am so envious!! You are on your way and your plans are coming to fruition. Definitely a great outcome.

Frank and I are hoping to be in that situation sometime in 2010, with any luck, but I am not looking forward to the "house selling" part of our move.

This is the 7th home we have sold and the 3rd one without a realtor. We sold two homes in Cinci, one via land contract by advertising in the newspaper and one to my step-daughter and SIL. This sale was much more techie in that we were on Realtor.com and the house had its own website. It's ironic the buyer grew up just around the corner (parents still there) and probably saw the neighborhood sign we had at the entry to the subdivision. It sounds like your market is still doing well but if you want to save a few bucks, PM me and I'll explain what we did. We saved about $10,000 in realtor fees (only 2% to buyers' agent) and I spent about $1000 on all the marketing stuff for a net savings of about $9,000.

My best advice is to have an indepedent appraisal done. It will give you the true market value of your home and the appraiser can also tell you what is going on in the market in terms of what percent of listing price homes are selling for and what segments of the market are getting hit the hardest. I didn't totally believe everything the appraiser was telling me in February when we had the independent appraisal done (I was in denial) but I kept her words in the back of my head and stayed open-minded when the offers were soooo low. Her conclusions were basically dead on.

It's probably not too early to get it done now. You do not have to disclose the results of the appraisal and you can price the house wherever you want regardless of the results of the appraisal. Whatever price you set, at least you have the number the lenders will have. No use negotiating hard to arrive at a price a lender won't support unless you have a buyer who has the free cash to pay the difference between the appraisal and the selling price. It does happen as we paid $19k over the appraisal price for the home we purchased (and sold) in Lakeland in 2004. It was a custom built home that had no good comps and the VA appraiser was being very, very conservative. Not sure I would ever do it again but it worked out fine since my OH employer paid the realtor fees to sell the home and we were still in the real estate bubble. Of course, you can get market comps from local agents but I thought it was a great investment of $250 to get the "real" number from an independent expert. Getting an appraisal will be the first thing I do if I ever sell another house.

W2R - Are you going to list in 2009? The government may extend it but at this point the $8,000 benefit for first-time home-buyers is expiring on Dec 1, 2009 (I think).

W2R - Are you going to list in 2009? The government may extend it but at this point the $8,000 benefit for first-time home-buyers is expiring on Dec 1, 2009 (I think).

No, it will be 2010. :) Oh well! Thanks for all the info.

I had the buckeye nut permanently implanted soon after my arrival in corn country. It was a condition of employment to ensure I rooted for the correct college football team. Brain damage might ensue should it be removed causing me to root for a FL college football team.:LOL:

And where did they implant said nut? :ROFLMAO:

I'll bet they extend it because the economy still sucks and the fed will need the housing market to recover before the economy makes any kind of good upward ticks. My son just closed on his house in Naples, FL. and he said it was a nightmare dealing with the bank/mortgage company. After the closing was finalized, my son had a conversation with the loan dept mgr who disclosed to him that he was lucky to get the loan when he did as banks in general just aren't interested in lending money right now.
Reminded him about the $8000 tax break but he informs me he won't get that much because his salary is too high. He estimates $5500-$6000.
The tax break is reduced if you make over $72k. Think that was the number.

Best wishes on your upcoming closing.

Back
Top Bottom