Selling Stuff -- Liability Issues

T

TromboneAl

I'm thinking of selling a monster maul on craigslist for about $18. Considering that someone might cut their foot off with it, or drop it on their head, which is true:

1. It's not worth selling it, considering the liability issues.
2. I should have them sign something saying they realize it may kill them.
3. It's a legal, readily available product, I have nothing to worry about.

Attachments

• MonsterMaulByTree.jpg
    MonsterMaulByTree.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 78
  • MonsterMaulByTree.jpg_thumb
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
TromboneAl said:
I'm thinking of selling a monster maul on craigslist for about $18. Considering that someone might cut their foot off with it, or drop it on their head, which is true:

1. It's not worth selling it, considering the liability issues.
2. I should have them sign something saying they realize it may kill them.
3. It's a legal, readily available product, I have nothing to worry about.
4. The recent glancing blow to the head I suffered while using it has resulted in me worrying about things I shouldn't be concerned about.

...I think the answer is 4. :)

Only if they can show that you intentionally did something to it that made it dangerous, or failed to disclose a problem with it that you were clearly aware of.

Beyond that, anyone can sue for anything.

Looks just like what I'd use to break up your pallets for firewood ;)

I've been thinking about your "Mr. 20 lb sledge" buddy while cutting up pallets. I figure that with a sledge I'm going to have to hit the pallet at least 40 times to break all the "connections." Seems easier to zip the saw through it. Have you tried pallet modification with your buddy?

I'd stack them up about waist high and whack right through all six or seven layers. sure, you'd have to whack them at least a dozen times, but it'd go pretty quick.

Or lay them out and have a friend with a tractor drive over them.

Got a cliff nearby?

It's horrible to think a simple transaction could potentially get you in trouble.
As I mentioned in another thread, I have been cleanup my house in preparation for my move. I gave away a bunch of stuff which included an axe. Can you image if the axe I gave was used to kill someone and they lifted my prints from it. Being single and spending most of my time alone would give some reliable alibi. :-\

Back
Top Bottom