Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You either trust the NIE or you don't. If you believe Bush influenced the NIE when he first took office so he could force a war down or throats, then how can you believe the current NIE? It might be possible that other "Bush agendas" are at work here and Iran is still seeking nuclear weapons. Or maybe you believed the first one was accurate and just want something to complain about.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

You are not addressing the issue I raised. Just when did the president first know that the NIE on Iran was going to conclude that Iran had dropped its nuclear weapons program in 2003. It is not a question of whether I trust the NIE or I don't. It iis more a question of whether I trust our president.

This Monday National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley held a press briefing on the new National Intelligence Estimate. Here is a portion of the briefing:
QUESTION: Steve, what is the first time the president was given the inkling that something? I’m not clear on this. Was it months ago, when the first information started to become available to intelligence agencies? […]
HADLEY: [W]hen was the president notified that there was new information available? We’ll try and get you a precise answer. As I say, it was, in my recollection, is in the last few months. Whether that’s October — August-September, we’ll try and get you an answer for that.
On at least five different occasions, Hadley said the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the “last few months.”

And the next day at his press conference the president says: "I was made aware of the NIE last week."

So please answer my question: If the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the last few months and the president learned of it only last week, who is running the show at the White House?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #63

As I recall my time in the government I had knowledge of several things, well prior to actually receiving details of the issues. Is this the case in this situation, heck I don't know. If what you are quoting is accurate it very well could be. I can see the way it played out. Within the last couple months the President was advised that Iran might not be producing nuclear bombs, but more research is needed. The President then orders the intel people to find out what is going on. Then when the final draft is done it was only last week. New intel is received almost daily, so it is possible.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #64

It is totally plausible that the President was told, as he said, that there was new intelligence uncovered about Iran and it was being vetted, analyzed, study etc. It is also reasonable that they told him they would get back to him when they had firm/confirmed conclusions. In fact that is how I would hope it would happen. Intel is not the nightly news.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Plausible but not likely.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpbob View Post
You are not addressing the issue I raised. Just when did the president first know that the NIE on Iran was going to conclude that Iran had dropped its nuclear weapons program in 2003. It is not a question of whether I trust the NIE or I don't. It iis more a question of whether I trust our president.

This Monday National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley held a press briefing on the new National Intelligence Estimate. Here is a portion of the briefing:
QUESTION: Steve, what is the first time the president was given the inkling that something? I’m not clear on this. Was it months ago, when the first information started to become available to intelligence agencies? […]
HADLEY: [W]hen was the president notified that there was new information available? We’ll try and get you a precise answer. As I say, it was, in my recollection, is in the last few months. Whether that’s October — August-September, we’ll try and get you an answer for that.
On at least five different occasions, Hadley said the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the “last few months.”

And the next day at his press conference the president says: "I was made aware of the NIE last week."

So please answer my question: If the White House learned of the NIE sometime in the last few months and the president learned of it only last week, who is running the show at the White House?
Good luck in getting an answer to your questions.

Usually when the adminstration gives conflicting answers it can only mean 1 thing and that is a lie. Remember the reasons given for attacking and invading Iraq.

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpbob View Post

This will be easier if you do your own research and stop depending on the blogs. Here's the publicly released version of the NIE. http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/20071203_release.pdf

Note that it clearly says that it contains information as recent as 31 Oct 2007. Normally, we would expect an intelligence document to be produced at the highest classification level warranted, and then redacted as necessary for public release. That's likely what was done here. If so, the "Full Monty" version of the NIE was finished and available for the President's review sometime between 31 Oct and 3 Dec (date that this unclassified NIE was released). There's your answer: The finished NIE was not available for the President's review until 31 Oct at the earliest.

Was any information in the NIE passed to the President earlier? We can't tell from this, and nobody's going to tell. Why is it important? Maybe a scrap of new info was presented to him in the daily brief, but that's not the same thing as a coherent analysis. That comprehensive analysis is in the NIE. Obviously, Hadley's reference to "learned of the NIE" could mean anything from "read the final copy" to "learned that one was being worked on." Regarding the availability of new info (NOT the same as an NIE) the reference to "within the last few months" sure doesn't sound very specific to me--I think you'll agree Hadley said several times he didn't have the information at his fingertips (because it was a question unrelated to the subject of his briefing) and that he was actually accurate anyway, since "within the last several months" includes everything up through yesterday.

There's no smoking gun here, no grassy knoll, and no missing 18 minutes of tape. I recommend you reboot and look for another conspiracy.

GESUNDHEIT!