Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Oldbabe -

Talk is cheap, even cheaper when it comes from politicians.
I don't think that sort of cynicism will achieve anything. Frankly, I think it's an excuse to complain and sit back and feel superior and do nothing to inform yourself and participate in the process.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I don't think that sort of cynicism will achieve anything. Frankly, I think it's an excuse to complain and sit back and feel superior and do nothing to inform yourself and participate in the process.
If I vote each election, I participate! But whatever you want to think it means so be it. Serves me right for participating in a political thread. BTW, I am typing this while sitting back and hovering above everyone in my superior chair.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #23

Quote:
If I vote each election, I participate! But whatever you want to think it means so be it. Serves me right for participating in a political thread. BTW, I am typing this while sitting back and hovering above everyone in my superior chair.
Good. I hope you enjoy the raified air.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I can see this playing out on "Family Guy" - chair legs knocking the rest of us in our head as it hovers around - "Ouch!" "Sorry!"
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

dropping the Bush tax cuts, which will be necessary if our country is going to take care of future expenses without resorting to the national credit card held by the Japanese and Chinese.
Oldbabe, wanna explain this? :

SOI Tax Stats - Collecting Revenue

Total
Internal
Revenue
collections [1, 2]

1999 1,904,151,888

2005 2,268,895,122

Looks like the Bush 'tax cuts' resulted in more total taxes collected. More details at the link.

I would agree with you that the spending side is out of control. That should be fixed. I don't think higher tax rates are the answer.

-ERD50
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Oldbabe, wanna explain this? :

SOI Tax Stats - Collecting Revenue

Total
Internal
Revenue
collections [1, 2]

1999 1,904,151,888

2005 2,268,895,122

Looks like the Bush 'tax cuts' resulted in more total taxes collected. More details at the link.

I would agree with you that the spending side is out of control. That should be fixed. I don't think higher tax rates are the answer.

-ERD50
I'll take a shot....

Who was it that said "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics?"

year ....Reciepts ...% change
====+==========+=======
1997 ....1,637,157 ....9.12
1998 ....1,782,997 ....8.91
1999 ....1,917,643 ....7.55
2000 ....2,112,755 ....10.17
2001 ....2,144,654 ....1.51
2002 ....2,033,661 ...(-5.18)
2003 ....1,969,648 ...(-3.15)
2004 ....2,035,761 ....3.36
2005 ....2,286,837 ....12.33
2006 ....2,536,771 ....10.93

Now I do see a nice bump in the last couple of years, but can anyone guess when the tax cuts took effect?

More fun with statistics :-)

Total increase in receipts in 1993 - 1999 = +61%

Total increase receipts in 1999 - 2005 = +19%
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Didn't Walter "Fritz" Mondale run against G H Bush and say make the statement the taxes would need to be raised. Bush won the election. If I remember correctly, this was cited as Fritz's downfall.

Generally speaking most Americans are not interested in more taxes. HC would probably be better off just talking up the freebies rather than how they will be paid for.

This is going to be an interesting Presidential race. I believe HC has a chance. But it is so early anything could happen.

I am a middle-ground independent. When the Dems want to start doing social engineering via taxes, that when I start looking at a more conservative option. Hopefully we get some level-headed moderate candidates. The extreme ends of conservative or liberal are not appealing at all.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #28

None of you has addressed the almost 8 trillion and rising federal debt. Everyone is in denial. I give up. I'm going on vacation. Bye!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
None of you has addressed the almost 8 trillion and rising federal debt. Everyone is in denial. I give up. I'm going on vacation. Bye!
What is THIS??

Quote:

-ERD50
Perhaps you ae in denial of *everyone* being in denial?

Have a nice vacation. -ERD50
Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefipius View Post
I'll take a shot....

Who was it that said "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics?"

More fun with statistics :-)

Total increase in receipts in 1993 - 1999 = +61%

Total increase receipts in 1999 - 2005 = +19%
Well, I took a stab at making more sense of the numbers, and it really is pretty tough. The dotcom boom/bust leading up to 2000 throws a monkey wrench in any analysis (at least for me). Not sure why you chose 1999, Bush took office in Jan 2001. Clinton was in office all of 2000.

The best I could come up with is, the average of collections as a percent of GDP was:

19.38% for years 1993-2000 and
18.81% for years 2001-2006

pretty small change overall. I think spending and the burst of dotcom have had more to do with the increasing deficit than lower tax rates and higher brackets.

As others have pointed out - the lower class and middle class have benefited from the tax cuts. But, if you already hate Bush, it's so easy to blame the tax cuts for everything and call them tax cuts for the 'rich'.

If you want to hate Bush, hate him for not controlling spending .

-ERD50
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What is THIS??

Perhaps you ae in denial of *everyone* being in denial?

Have a nice vacation. -ERD50
That was a political rant followed by a meltdown. It is an example of what we try to avoid around here but those "touchy" subjects (healthcare, politics, religion, etc.) almost always guarantee at least one. There are always posters who take the bait, me included

*WARNING*
Starting politically driven threads is not good for your health and will likely result in a meltdown. Those of you who have high blood pressure or are prone to high blood pressure may want to consult your physician prior to starting a political thread. Side effects may include: not being able to convince others of your political views no matter how hard you try and the standard -- nausea, dry mouth, weight gain, dizziness, etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I'm quite surprised at this, since I considered this one of the most level, polite, well mannered political discussions I've yet read. I would love to participate in threads of this nature, unfortunately, most turn into shouting matches.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That was a political rant followed by a meltdown.
wildcat, I guess I am as confused as laurencewill appears to be.

Where was the 'meltdown'

I see some numbers and opinions being discussed, no real name calling or convoluted stuff.

Did I miss something?

-ERD50
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #34

Just appeared the OP got angry that we weren't addressing her (I assume) concerns or Hilary's concerns and marched off into the sunset. Maybe I read it wrong too, now I am confused.

I don't care if people can debate politics in civil manner and I too find it interesting to see both sides. It just doesn't always end well and that was the reason behind my bad attempt of humor with the warning.

Continue the thread, carry on...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok, here's the answer:

1)Spend less
2)Raise Taxes
3)Do a combination of the above two........

NOONE in Washington wants to do ANY of the above 3..........can't get re-elected or elected on that platform...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok, here's the answer:

1)Spend less
2)Raise Taxes
3)Do a combination of the above two........

NOONE in Washington wants to do ANY of the above 3..........can't get re-elected or elected on that platform...........
Reminds me a bit of classic diet advice - Eat less, exercise more, or better yet do both. Recently our national fiscal diet plan has been:

1) Eat more
2) Exercise less
3) Pray that our metabolism (i.e. economy) speeds up to magically solve all of our problems.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefipius View Post
Reminds me a bit of classic diet advice - Eat less, exercise more, or better yet do both. Recently our national fiscal diet plan has been:

1) Eat more
2) Exercise less
3) Pray that our metabolism (i.e. economy) speeds up to magically solve all of our problems.
3) Invent something as ground breaking as the Ab Roller.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Just appeared the OP got angry that we weren't addressing her (I assume) concerns or Hilary's concerns and marched off into the sunset. Maybe I read it wrong too, now I am confused.

I don't care if people can debate politics in civil manner and I too find it interesting to see both sides. It just doesn't always end well and that was the reason behind my bad attempt of humor with the warning.

Continue the thread, carry on...
Apologies from this OP to all who engaged discussion in this thread. No, it wasn't a meltdown,I wasn't angry just frustrated. I decided to disengage, as I really was leaving for Africa. But, granted, I disengaged in an ungraceful, somewhat childish manner. Sometimes I'm like that. Has nothing to do with being a Hilary supporter or a democratic liberal.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

.... somewhat childish manner.

..... Has nothing to do with being a Hilary supporter or a democratic liberal.
Are you sure? We might need an independent study on that.

-ERD50
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Last time Billary Clinton.

This time Hilliam Clinton.