Oldbabe, wanna explain this? :

SOI Tax Stats - Collecting Revenue

Total
Internal
Revenue
collections [1, 2]

1999 1,904,151,888

2005 2,268,895,122

Looks like the Bush 'tax cuts' resulted in more total taxes collected. More details at the link.

I would agree with you that the spending side is out of control. That should be fixed. I don't think higher tax rates are the answer.

-ERD50

I'll take a shot....

Who was it that said "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics?"

year ....Reciepts ...% change
====+==========+=======
1997 ....1,637,157 ....9.12
1998 ....1,782,997 ....8.91
1999 ....1,917,643 ....7.55
2000 ....2,112,755 ....10.17
2001 ....2,144,654 ....1.51
2002 ....2,033,661 ...(-5.18)
2003 ....1,969,648 ...(-3.15)
2004 ....2,035,761 ....3.36
2005 ....2,286,837 ....12.33
2006 ....2,536,771 ....10.93

Now I do see a nice bump in the last couple of years, but can anyone guess when the tax cuts took effect?

More fun with statistics :)

Total increase in receipts in 1993 - 1999 = +61%

Total increase receipts in 1999 - 2005 = +19%

Didn't Walter "Fritz" Mondale run against G H Bush and say make the statement the taxes would need to be raised. Bush won the election. If I remember correctly, this was cited as Fritz's downfall.

Generally speaking most Americans are not interested in more taxes. HC would probably be better off just talking up the freebies rather than how they will be paid for.

This is going to be an interesting Presidential race. I believe HC has a chance. But it is so early anything could happen.

I am a middle-ground independent. When the Dems want to start doing social engineering via taxes, that when I start looking at a more conservative option. Hopefully we get some level-headed moderate candidates. The extreme ends of conservative or liberal are not appealing at all.

None of you has addressed the almost 8 trillion and rising federal debt. Everyone is in denial. I give up. I'm going on vacation. Bye!

None of you has addressed the almost 8 trillion and rising federal debt. Everyone is in denial. I give up. I'm going on vacation. Bye!

What is THIS??

I would agree with you that the spending side is out of control. That should be fixed. I don't think higher tax rates are the answer.

-ERD50

Perhaps you ae in denial of *everyone* being in denial?

Have a nice vacation. -ERD50

I'll take a shot....

Who was it that said "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics?"

More fun with statistics :)

Total increase in receipts in 1993 - 1999 = +61%

Total increase receipts in 1999 - 2005 = +19%

Well, I took a stab at making more sense of the numbers, and it really is pretty tough. The dotcom boom/bust leading up to 2000 throws a monkey wrench in any analysis (at least for me). Not sure why you chose 1999, Bush took office in Jan 2001. Clinton was in office all of 2000.

The best I could come up with is, the average of collections as a percent of GDP was:

19.38% for years 1993-2000 and
18.81% for years 2001-2006

pretty small change overall. I think spending and the burst of dotcom have had more to do with the increasing deficit than lower tax rates and higher brackets.

As others have pointed out - the lower class and middle class have benefited from the tax cuts. But, if you already hate Bush, it's so easy to blame the tax cuts for everything and call them tax cuts for the 'rich'.

If you want to hate Bush, hate him for not controlling spending ;).

-ERD50

What is THIS??

Perhaps you ae in denial of *everyone* being in denial?

Have a nice vacation. -ERD50

That was a political rant followed by a meltdown. It is an example of what we try to avoid around here but those "touchy" subjects (healthcare, politics, religion, etc.) almost always guarantee at least one. There are always posters who take the bait, me included :(

*WARNING*
Starting politically driven threads is not good for your health and will likely result in a meltdown. Those of you who have high blood pressure or are prone to high blood pressure may want to consult your physician prior to starting a political thread. Side effects may include: not being able to convince others of your political views no matter how hard you try and the standard -- nausea, dry mouth, weight gain, dizziness, etc.

I'm quite surprised at this, since I considered this one of the most level, polite, well mannered political discussions I've yet read. I would love to participate in threads of this nature, unfortunately, most turn into shouting matches.

That was a political rant followed by a meltdown.

wildcat, I guess I am as confused as laurencewill appears to be.

Where was the 'meltdown':confused:

I see some numbers and opinions being discussed, no real name calling or convoluted stuff.

Did I miss something?

-ERD50

Just appeared the OP got angry that we weren't addressing her (I assume) concerns or Hilary's concerns and marched off into the sunset. Maybe I read it wrong too, now I am confused.

I don't care if people can debate politics in civil manner and I too find it interesting to see both sides. It just doesn't always end well and that was the reason behind my bad attempt of humor with the warning.

Continue the thread, carry on...

Ok, here's the answer:

1)Spend less
2)Raise Taxes
3)Do a combination of the above two........

NOONE in Washington wants to do ANY of the above 3..........can't get re-elected or elected on that platform...........;)

Ok, here's the answer:

1)Spend less
2)Raise Taxes
3)Do a combination of the above two........

NOONE in Washington wants to do ANY of the above 3..........can't get re-elected or elected on that platform...........;)

Reminds me a bit of classic diet advice - Eat less, exercise more, or better yet do both. Recently our national fiscal diet plan has been:

1) Eat more
2) Exercise less
3) Pray that our metabolism (i.e. economy) speeds up to magically solve all of our problems.

Reminds me a bit of classic diet advice - Eat less, exercise more, or better yet do both. Recently our national fiscal diet plan has been:

1) Eat more
2) Exercise less
3) Pray that our metabolism (i.e. economy) speeds up to magically solve all of our problems.

3) Invent something as ground breaking as the Ab Roller.

Just appeared the OP got angry that we weren't addressing her (I assume) concerns or Hilary's concerns and marched off into the sunset. Maybe I read it wrong too, now I am confused.

I don't care if people can debate politics in civil manner and I too find it interesting to see both sides. It just doesn't always end well and that was the reason behind my bad attempt of humor with the warning.

Continue the thread, carry on...

Apologies from this OP to all who engaged discussion in this thread. No, it wasn't a meltdown,I wasn't angry just frustrated. I decided to disengage, as I really was leaving for Africa. But, granted, I disengaged in an ungraceful, somewhat childish manner. Sometimes I'm like that. Has nothing to do with being a Hilary supporter or a democratic liberal. :rolleyes:

.... somewhat childish manner.

..... Has nothing to do with being a Hilary supporter or a democratic liberal. :rolleyes:

Are you sure? We might need an independent study on that. ;) ;)

-ERD50

Last time Billary Clinton.

This time Hilliam Clinton.

;)

Our national debt has grown quite a bit under the watch of the man known as Old George W. Let's see he managed to spend billions, if not trillions in the Iraq War, against a country that was NOT a immediate threat to us. Our grandchildren, their grandchildren, and their grandchild have been left holding the bag as far as paying the trillions of $$$$ we owe Japan and China.

Let's see the Iraq War is a FISACO and the country of Iraq is in CHAOS what a bargain for the trillions of $$$$$ spent. Just like the late Ann Richards said "he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth" I guess that may explain why this mangy varmint does not have any common sense.

Old George W has more or less sold the financial soul of America to Japan and China so that he could pursue his dream and built his LEGACY as a WAR TIME PRESIDENT. A LEGACY that will be built on the blood and sacrifice of OUR TROOPS, OUR VETERANS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS, THEIR FAMILIES AND THE IRAQI PEOPLE. As for Osama Bin Laden, he is still alive and kicking our butts because Old George W lost his focus on who attacked us on 9/11.

I do not know if American is ready to or will elect a woman President. But I hope that she wins and ends the Iraq War. As for taxes being raised I for one would consider that a small price to pay to end the Iraq War and to bring OUR TROOPS home.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS, OUR FALLEN TROOPS, OUR VETERANS, THEIR FAMILIES, THE IRAQI PEOPLE, AND THE GREAT WILLIE NELSON.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom