Join Early Retirement Today

Senator Edward Kennedy dies aged 77
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Senator Edward Kennedy dies aged 77

Senator Edward Kennedy dies aged 77 - Yahoo! News

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's sad to see the Kennedy clan slowly disappear .

Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

Unfortunately, it was fairly obvious that his passing would come sooner rather than later, when he was unable to attend his sister Eunice's funeral a couple of weeks ago.

His legacy in American politics will not be soon surpassed! Thanks for all your years of service, Sen. Kennedy!!! Your now gone, but not forgotten! R.I.P.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Mary Jo Kopechne will have a few words before he settles in.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

Can't escape the coverage here (north of Boston) ... seems to be 50/50. Either "good riddance" or "tears"; really no middle ground.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Can't escape the coverage here (north of Boston) ... seems to be 50/50. Either "good riddance" or "tears"; really no middle ground.
Yeah, that tends to happen when a polarizing figure passes.

Thanks to y'all for being (mostly) very measured in your comments, not injecting huge doses of politics (and inviting flames to erupt) and keeping it civil. I was afraid this thread would be a lot of work for us.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, that tends to happen when a polarizing figure passes.

Thanks to y'all for being (mostly) very measured in your comments, not injecting huge doses of politics (and inviting flames to erupt) and keeping it civil. I was afraid this thread would be a lot of work for us.
It was a huge effort for some of us not to go political. I just like the mods too much and understand why you want to keep this place free from political diatribes.

Yes, he was a very polarizing figure. Regards of our personal opinions on Senator Kennedy, I believe we can all join in giving our condolences to his family.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You should take advantage of this warm glow of political camaraderie before it passes, and close the thread now...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You should take advantage of this warm glow of political camaraderie before it passes, and close the thread now...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
A definite knee slapper.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
A definite knee slapper.
[mod hat off]

Just remember that what comes around goes around some times. I hope I don't hear you crying foul in the future if someone dances on the grave of someone you held in high esteem.

[mod hat back on]
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #12

You have my promise. And now I exit this thread.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Was he on the "best hairdo list"? 77-yo with full head of hair, let it go completely white and still looked like an American icon; even looked dignified with a side combover to futilely attempt to cover surgical scars. Some reporter mentioned that you could pick him out of any room, instantly recognizable.

Sad way to go and interesting to imagine him meeting other family members, he's the one who lived long enough to retire but (sort of) didn't--uh oh, I've just nicked a political area. Going offline now.

RIP, Ted.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Heaven must be an awesome place to be tonight--besides Senator Kennedy, I see that the writer Dominick Dunne, 'who told stories of shocking crimes among the rich and famous through his magazine articles and best-selling novels such as "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," died Wednesday in his home at age 83.'

And Ellie Greenwich, 'who co-wrote some of pop music's most enduring songs, including "Chapel of Love," "Be My Baby" and "Leader of the Pack," died Wednesday, according to her niece. She was 68.'
Old 08-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[mod hat off]

Just remember that what comes around goes around some times. I hope I don't hear you crying foul in the future if someone dances on the grave of someone you held in high esteem.

[mod hat back on]
Actually Zig, what went around (recall Reagan's death and the nasty comments, etc. as one example) is coming around....... It's a shame really that political polarization seems to have always caused venom to flow from all sides whenever an event such as this occurs. Each side seems to feel it is OK for them to attack political personalities and their families at the lowest levels but others better not do it to "their guy."
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
[mod hat off]

[mod hat back on]
Agreed- and while I personally didn't hold Ted Kennedy's politics in high esteem, I do respect his many years of public service. He always struck me as having been thrust onto the national stage after the JFK/RFK assassinations, ill-equipped for the assignment, but to his credit he stuck it out and made the best of it. He dealt with with the Kennedy curse, a polarizing political career, and his own demons- all under the media microscope - for five decades. Not any easy task for anyone.

How is that for fair and balanced?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Agreed- and while I personally didn't hold Ted Kennedy's politics in high esteem, I do respect his many years of public service. He always struck me as having been thrust onto the national stage after the JFK/RFK assassinations, ill-equipped for the assignment, but to his credit he stuck it out and made the best of it. He dealt with with the Kennedy curse, a polarizing political career, and his own demons- all under the media microscope - for five decades. Not any easy task for anyone.

Well said Westerskies.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post

I agree. And there should sure seemed to be a curse on the family.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #19

Around here, more than one news agency said that he fled the scene of the accident. Is it true? Canīt be. If that were the case he would never have won subsequent elections... At least not here in Spain, thatīs for sure. And by this Iīm not boasting about the courage or ethics of our politicians, far from it!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Around here, more than one news agency said that he fled the scene of the accident. Is it true? Canīt be. If that were the case he would never have won subsequent elections... At least not here in Spain, thatīs for sure. And by this Iīm not boasting about the courage or ethics of our politicians, far from it!
America is different; in particular Massachusetts is different.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ts-politicians

http://americanhistory.suite101.com/...chappaquiddick

Ha