Senator Edward Kennedy dies aged 77

Unfortunately, it was fairly obvious that his passing would come sooner rather than later, when he was unable to attend his sister Eunice's funeral a couple of weeks ago.

His legacy in American politics will not be soon surpassed! Thanks for all your years of service, Sen. Kennedy!!! Your now gone, but not forgotten! R.I.P. :'(

Mary Jo Kopechne will have a few words before he settles in.

Can't escape the coverage here (north of Boston) ... seems to be 50/50. Either "good riddance" or "tears"; really no middle ground.

Can't escape the coverage here (north of Boston) ... seems to be 50/50. Either "good riddance" or "tears"; really no middle ground.
Yeah, that tends to happen when a polarizing figure passes.

Thanks to y'all for being (mostly) very measured in your comments, not injecting huge doses of politics (and inviting flames to erupt) and keeping it civil. I was afraid this thread would be a lot of work for us. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, that tends to happen when a polarizing figure passes.

Thanks to y'all for being (mostly) very measured in your comments, not injecting huge doses of politics (and inviting flames to erupt) and keeping it civil. I was afraid this thread would be a lot of work for us. :)

It was a huge effort for some of us not to go political;). I just like the mods too much and understand why you want to keep this place free from political diatribes.

Yes, he was a very polarizing figure. Regards of our personal opinions on Senator Kennedy, I believe we can all join in giving our condolences to his family.

You should take advantage of this warm glow of political camaraderie before it passes, and close the thread now...

A definite knee slapper.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

[mod hat off]

Just remember that what comes around goes around some times. I hope I don't hear you crying foul in the future if someone dances on the grave of someone you held in high esteem.

[mod hat back on]

You have my promise. And now I exit this thread.

Was he on the "best hairdo list"? 77-yo with full head of hair, let it go completely white and still looked like an American icon; even looked dignified with a side combover to futilely attempt to cover surgical scars. Some reporter mentioned that you could pick him out of any room, instantly recognizable.

Sad way to go and interesting to imagine him meeting other family members, he's the one who lived long enough to retire but (sort of) didn't--uh oh, I've just nicked a political area. Going offline now.

RIP, Ted.

Heaven must be an awesome place to be tonight--besides Senator Kennedy, I see that the writer Dominick Dunne, 'who told stories of shocking crimes among the rich and famous through his magazine articles and best-selling novels such as "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," died Wednesday in his home at age 83.'

And Ellie Greenwich, 'who co-wrote some of pop music's most enduring songs, including "Chapel of Love," "Be My Baby" and "Leader of the Pack," died Wednesday, according to her niece. She was 68.'

[mod hat off]

Just remember that what comes around goes around some times. I hope I don't hear you crying foul in the future if someone dances on the grave of someone you held in high esteem.

[mod hat back on]

Actually Zig, what went around (recall Reagan's death and the nasty comments, etc. as one example) is coming around....... It's a shame really that political polarization seems to have always caused venom to flow from all sides whenever an event such as this occurs. Each side seems to feel it is OK for them to attack political personalities and their families at the lowest levels but others better not do it to "their guy." :nonono:

[mod hat off]

[mod hat back on]

Agreed- and while I personally didn't hold Ted Kennedy's politics in high esteem, I do respect his many years of public service. He always struck me as having been thrust onto the national stage after the JFK/RFK assassinations, ill-equipped for the assignment, but to his credit he stuck it out and made the best of it. He dealt with with the Kennedy curse, a polarizing political career, and his own demons- all under the media microscope - for five decades. Not any easy task for anyone.

How is that for fair and balanced?

Agreed- and while I personally didn't hold Ted Kennedy's politics in high esteem, I do respect his many years of public service. He always struck me as having been thrust onto the national stage after the JFK/RFK assassinations, ill-equipped for the assignment, but to his credit he stuck it out and made the best of it. He dealt with with the Kennedy curse, a polarizing political career, and his own demons- all under the media microscope - for five decades. Not any easy task for anyone.

Well said Westerskies. :flowers:

I agree. And there should sure seemed to be a curse on the family. :-\

Around here, more than one news agency said that he fled the scene of the accident. Is it true? Can´t be. If that were the case he would never have won subsequent elections... At least not here in Spain, that´s for sure. And by this I´m not boasting about the courage or ethics of our politicians, far from it!

Around here, more than one news agency said that he fled the scene of the accident. Is it true? Can´t be. If that were the case he would never have won subsequent elections... At least not here in Spain, that´s for sure. And by this I´m not boasting about the courage or ethics of our politicians, far from it!

America is different; in particular Massachusetts is different.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/nov/18/dan-kennedy-massachusetts-politicians

http://americanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/senator_edward_ted_kennedy_and_chappaquiddick

Ha

America is different; in particular Massachusetts is different.

America? Umm... Carter, whom I believe to be an indisputably moral man no matter what one may think of his ability, soundly defeated Kennedy in the primary.

Accomplishments:

Senator for all of those years. With all of his problems (being a liberal and all) I wonder how he continued to get reelected? Maybe this will provide a clue. This is a list of some of the dead man's accomplishments. He sponsored over 2500 bills.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
•The Mental Health Parity Act of 1996
•State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP)
•Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act of 2009 (Americorps)
•The Civil Rights Act of 1964
•The Voting Rights Act of 1965
•Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
•Fair Housing Act of 1968
•Handicapped Children's Protection Act of 1986 (overturning a SCOTUS decision)
•Ryan White Care Act of 1990 (AIDS care)
•Americans with Disability Act of '90
•Civil Rights Act of 1991
•Minority Health & Health Disparities Research & Education Act of 2000
•National & Community Service Trust Act of 1993 (Americorps)
•Mammography Quality Standards Act of 1990
•Military Child Care Act of 1989
•The WARN Act of 1988 (60 days notice prior to plant closings)
•Employment Opportunities for Disabled Americans Act of 1986
•Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986 (vetoed by Reagan)
•Job Training Partnership Act of 1980
•Refugee Act of 1980
•Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act of 1980
•Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act - 1975
•Title IX of Education Amendments of '72 (bans sex discrimination by schools getting Fed $)
•Establishment of Women, Infants & Childrens ("WIC") Nutrition Program at USDA
•Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Act of 1970
•Older American Community Service Employment Act of 1970
•Occupational Safety & Health Administration Act of 1970
•The Voting Rights Act amendments of 1970
•The Bilingual Education Act of 1968
•The Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 (War on Poverty: Head Start, Job Corps)
•The Mental Health Parity Act of 1996

Free to Canoe

Ted Kennedy

I always held a negative feeling towards Ted Kennedy because of the Chapaquitic (don't know spelling) Not because of the accident, but because of the what I felt was a lie and cover up. I tended to think of him as a spoiled rich kid, womanizer, who drank too much.

It was not until I started watching CSPAN on TV (what fun) and became a political junkie, that I changed my mind about him (though I didn't agree always with his stance on immagration issues) What I couldn't help seeing was his passion to his causes and how envolved he was on these issues. I might add, I also developed a fondness for John Kerry this way, as I found him very intillectual and also very hard working and involved in many issues.

I can't help wondering if his early life had something to do with his dedication in his later years. He lived in fear himself of being killed, but never quit. That takes guts, considering he didn't need the job.

Heaven must be an awesome place to be tonight--besides Senator Kennedy, I see that the writer Dominick Dunne, 'who told stories of shocking crimes among the rich and famous through his magazine articles and best-selling novels such as "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," died Wednesday in his home at age 83.'

And Ellie Greenwich, 'who co-wrote some of pop music's most enduring songs, including "Chapel of Love," "Be My Baby" and "Leader of the Pack," died Wednesday, according to her niece. She was 68.'

Thanks for mentioning Dominick Dunne. I loved his articles in Vanity Fair and also admired his victim's rights advocacy. I was so sorry to learn that he had lost his battle with cancer. I also liked him because he was something of a Firebird...a person who resurrected himself with a purpose after his daughter's murder and his personal troubles. He will be missed.

Back
Top Bottom