Sentricon ?

Live And Learn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm in the Tampa Bay Area and have a monthly pest control service. They spray the perimeter of the house with pesticide to keep the roaches away. He also visually inspects for termite activity (but I doubt he looks very hard).

I had one of their guys come to talk about lawn service today but we he also wanted to talk about Sentricon. The cost is $500 the first year and $300 annual renewal.

Although it was not disclosed on the sellers disclosure when we purchased last year, the house looks to have had a subterranean termite treatment in 2008 (found a sticker on the electric panel cover).

I've looked at all the past posts about this but still can't make up my mind.

Thoughts, lessons, ideas appreciated.

I have had these "systems" outside two of my homes and both wound up with termites in the home and not in the devices. So, mark me down as not a fan. I treat annually and you can get some decent stuff to spray from the local big box hardware company.

Last edited:
I have had these "systems" outside two of my homes and both wound up with termites in the home and not in the devices. So, mark me down as not a fan. I treat annually and you can get some decent stuff to spray from the local big box hardware company.

Yep - thats what I was afraid of. Can you tell me more about your annual treatment ? I like that idea ALOT.

We had (have?) termites. Ours are drywood, not subterranean. Had my house treated, but not tented, and have an annual contract. From what I read about subterranean, perimeter control around the outside of the home is the key. The $300 annual seems a bit steep.

I cannot comment about FL, but here in Midwest Sentricon seems well-respected. HOWEVER the perimeter must be set up properly. There cannot be big gaps between stations and the baits must be monitored regularly. There are always pest control co's that skimp in service so be sure to check consumer agencies (e.g. BBB, FWIW) & get good references.

I treat annually and you can get some decent stuff to spray from the local big box hardware company.

I've used Ortho home defense and other similar products and all seem to work fairly good, costs about $10 on sale for a gallon and is good for two treatments for me. One spraying is suppose to be good for 12 months but I usually do it every 6 months, takes about 30 mins. to do the parameter of my 2200 sq-ft house. I also do the interior parameter walls while I'm at it. After spraying the few bugs that do make it in the house are usually belly up by the time you notice them. We don't get a lot of rain here (Arizona) so not sure if that would affect the frequency of application.

I've used Ortho home defense and other similar products and all seem to work fairly good, costs about $10 on sale for a gallon and is good for two treatments for me. One spraying is suppose to be good for 12 months but I usually do it every 6 months, takes about 30 mins. to do the parameter of my 2200 sq-ft house. I also do the interior parameter walls while I'm at it. After spraying the few bugs that do make it in the house are usually belly up by the time you notice them. We don't get a lot of rain here (Arizona) so not sure if that would affect the frequency of application.

I use Bayer Advanced termite and carpenter ant control.

There are a lot better products available on-line than are available than at a local store.

Here are a few good ones.
Termidor SC
Phantom
Premise 2 Termiticide

You can order the same stuff the "Pros" use for perimeter treatment online. Termidor is the product name ( Dominion 2L is another one ). There are online instructions for application.

You can order the same stuff the "Pros" use for perimeter treatment online. Termidor is the product name ( Dominion 2L is another one ). There are online instructions for application.

Depends on the state. Termidor is restricted use (pro's only) in some states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termidor

Also- Some termite chemicals have been federally restricted by EPA for years.
Termiticide Data and Labeling Requirements | Pesticides | US EPA
Active ingredient in Dominion 2l is imidacloprid.
http://www.controlsolutionsinc.com/data/products/other/139_Dominion%202L%20label%2010-31-07.pdf
Current (2104) EPA labeling requirements for this chemical states-
"For use only by individuals/firms licensed or registered by the state to apply termiticide products."
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/083851-00008-20140206.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/053883-00328-20140416.pdf

Just because you can get it does not mean it's always legal for you to apply.

Also- MichaelB makes a great point about drywood vs subterranean termites. Two different animals with different strategies to control. Drywood termites are generally only a problem in warmer climates.

Last edited:
the house I am in had Subterranean termites. I've read that they can do more damage in a shorter period of time. The exterior of the house is stucco over block. All wood is behind the drywall and in the attic.

I've been using the same pest company for 15 years and I love them. I trust that they would do a thorough job checking the baits.

Still undecided but am leaning towards paying for the service since I'm not sure I really trust myself to DIY.

EEK, I just read some stuff on Termidor and there is no way I'd use it unless I had no choice. That stuff is just scary. Its the same stuff that is used in Frontline flea prevention --- and I don't use that either ! Spreading pesticides on my pooches skin just seems wrong. There are much safer ways to deal with fleas (Neem oil infused baths work when needed).

I've read that it kills termites up to an acre away from the treatment spot ! what else would it kill ? I live on a small pond and have a certified backyard wildlife habitat. So thats out.

We lived in our past home for 13 years and had Sentricon for the last 10 of those. Found subterranean termites in year three and opted for the Sentricon system. Can't remember for sure but seems as if the initial fee was $400 and then we paid $220 annually for 10 years. No increase ever. SHOCKED FACE! Anyway, they came out monthly from Spring through Fall to check the bait stations. Occasionally, there would be signs of activity at a certain station and they would then change from bait to some type of active termite pesticide. Visits would then be biweekly until no more activity was noticed. Sold the home a year ago and got a clean bill of health by the termite inspector. Buyers really liked the idea that we had the Sentricon system in place all those years. Termites are a major problem in our area of southern Indiana.

Does the company installing the system provide a warranty against any new wood/drywall damage post installation?

Does the company installing the system provide a warranty against any new wood/drywall damage post installation?
The established companies where we live will guarantee and insure for damage only if the yearly contract follows a whole house tenting treatment.

There are a lot better products available on-line than are available than at a local store.

Here are a few good ones.
Termidor SC
Phantom
Premise 2 Termiticide

Termidor I've heard of - pro grade. I use Suspend SC and it kicks bug a$$!

The established companies where we live will guarantee and insure for damage only if the yearly contract follows a whole house tenting treatment.

I've seen these warranties offered in the metroplex if your attic/exposed wood is sprayed in addition to the baiting system along the perimeter, along with annual maintenance contract. Does not require whole house tenting which sounds more like how they treat a bedbug infestation.

I've never seen anything truly prevent termites, so you will not like what I have to say.

I live in a termite infested area: Lots of trees, moist ground, plenty of houses, and plenty of termite-treatment professionals. It is a wonderful sight to see each late spring when termites fly away from their nests to start new colonies. Somehow all the existing colonies do this all on the same day, so on a 5 miles dog walk this spring, I saw about a half dozen colonies exporting their progeny. I think this occurs after a new moon in late April. Termite companies know this happens, so they time their TV, radio, online, and print advertising to coincide with these releases of winged termites.

OK, now back to our homes. When I first moved here 20 years ago, I noticed termites everywhere around the house, but not in the house. The house had been treated with a buried perimeter of probably termidor by the previous owner. Nevertheless, termites were seen in most of the wooden fences and occasionally building tubes up the foundation. I spot treated, knocked down the tubes, and called termite inspection company for a free look-see. The guy came out and said, "I don't see any termites." So there you go. You cannot trust what anyone tells you.

That said, we have never had any other obvious evidence of termites in the house, but we see them all the time in the area, say within 20 feet of the house. They could be munching away and no one would know. I am vigilant and can do my own termite inspection as well as any pest company.

In the 20 years I have lived in this home, I have never paid for a termite inspection nor any overall treatment. I cannot say the same for my neighbors.

My neighbor woke up one morning with termites flying out of their master bedroom closet. They had been paying for years of termite inspections which never turned up anything. The critters were simply out of sight and out of mind.

Other neighbors decided to remodel their master bathroom. When they ripped out the tiles in the shower, they found a healthy colony of termites just living the dream.

The homes here are built on concrete slab foundations. One can easily see if termites have built tubes up the outer concrete. One cannot see if termites have built a tube up an internal crack or around a drain or water pipe through the concrete slab. An inspector cannot even see these internal access points.

Bottom line: Don't pay for anything until you get termites. Perhaps have professional dig trenches and treat your foundation once every 25 years of so. Sentricon would just tell me what I already know: There are termites in the environment. Even if everyone in the neighborhood was diligent, there will still be termites.

Back
Top Bottom