Join Early Retirement Today

Septic tank
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Septic tank

Any idea how much it costs to have a septic tank pumped out?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In our area it is $250-$350. I had mine pumped a couple months ago and it cost $340. The guy I use is a bit on the high side but is a family friend so I grin and bear it.

YMMV

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

$275 in November 2012 to pump a 1200 gallon septic tank. This is part of an aerobic septic system. The company I use specializes in aerobic septic systems. I call them when the aerator needs repair. That may be from two to four years. The septic tank has never actually been full when they repaired the aerator and pumped the tank. The $275 for pumping the tank is a separate charge from repairing the aerator.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #4

We pay $225, have it done every 3 years.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It can be very location specific. Laws/regs vary be area, availability of land to dump it on (regs cover how this is handled) versus having to take it to a municipal treatment plant.

I don't think other answers will tell you much about your specific situation.

-ERD50
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

$180.00 in the Albany, NY area.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #7

$250 here in northern Illinois
Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It can be very location specific. Laws/regs vary be area, availability of land to dump it on (regs cover how this is handled) versus having to take it to a municipal treatment plant.

I don't think other answers will tell you much about your specific situation.

-ERD50
+1

It can also depend on the size of your tank. Only disposal legal here is a municipal treatment plant which charges the "honey wagon" folks $X per 100 gallons offloaded, so the charge to pump is more for a larger system.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #9

27 years and have never had to pump the septic tank so not sure what the cost is. I contribute that partly to the fact I do not put garbage into the system via a garbage disposer.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
27 years and have never had to pump the septic tank so not sure what the cost is.
Wow.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
27 years and have never had to pump the septic tank so not sure what the cost is. I contribute that partly to the fact I do not put garbage into the system via a garbage disposer.
We don't but garbage in ours...27 years?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not 'having' to do something is vastly different from what you 'should be' doing.

Sure, you can get away w/o pumping for a very long time. But you are sending unprocessed 'stuff' into the drain field. When the drain field fails, the cost will be much higher than pumping every 3 years or so (dependent on usage and size of tank).

Some other poster I think, talked about how he doesn't need to pump because he adds some bio-something every month. I posted numerous links of evidence that those likely do more harm than good - I don't think he ever responded.

I wonder if he got his tank pumped?

-ERD50
Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
We don't but garbage in ours...27 years?
Well, I stretched it a bit, 26 years and 9 months we have lived in this house. I have never seen a septic service at any of my neighbors either.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You are supposed to have it pumped every 2-3 years. If you don't, you might end up with a really stinky situation!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #15

Length of time depends on how many people you have in the house doing the flushing. Large family will need a pump every 3 years or so. Only 2 of us so I would push it out to 4-5 years. We paid around $330 I think last Spring....but it cost more because the guy had to find the tank. Every extra effort costs more. Next time I will have the tank tops dug out and waiting for them to just show up and pump.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #16

Septic tank

2 of us and $300 about every 3 years. Had we not had it done this last time, we would not have discovered a partially collapsed exit pipe, which cost us $500 to repair, but would have been lots more had it gone much longer. Lots of rain had caused things to noticeably shift.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It cost me $325 in the spring of 2012. There are web sites that will tell you based upon the number of folks living in the house how often to pump the tank. (And if you use a garbage disposal). Here is a link to a web site that has a schedule: Septic Tank Pumping Schedule Table - how often should you clean the septic tank?
You will note it depends on the number of folks living in a house and the size of the tank,
For example 1000 gallons in 12 years with one person, 5.9 with 2 3.7 with 3 and so on. The site hints that if you use a garbage disposal reduce the time to 80% of the value without. (of course that will depend also on how and what you cook).
Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Not 'having' to do something is vastly different from what you 'should be' doing.

Sure, you can get away w/o pumping for a very long time. But you are sending unprocessed 'stuff' into the drain field. When the drain field fails, the cost will be much higher than pumping every 3 years or so (dependent on usage and size of tank).

Some other poster I think, talked about how he doesn't need to pump because he adds some bio-something every month. I posted numerous links of evidence that those likely do more harm than good - I don't think he ever responded.

I wonder if he got his tank pumped?

-ERD50
+1 if you don't pump it out you risk putting solids rather than just effluent into your leach field, plugging the leach field and having to put in either a replacement leach field or possibly a whole new septic system (tank and leach field).

In some situations, you may not have the space to replace the leach field and might need to put in a mound system somewhere else on the property.

IMO it is much better to spend a few hundred every few years to pump the septic tank than risk having to replace a leach field (or worse).

Like that old oil change commercial stated - "pay me now or pay me later". An oil change/engine rebuild is analogous to pumping the tank/replacing the leach field.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 if you don't pump it out you risk putting solids rather than just effluent into your leach field, plugging the leach field and having to put in either a replacement leach field or possibly a whole new septic system (tank and leach field).

In some situations, you may not have the space to replace the leach field and might need to put in a mound system somewhere else on the property.

IMO it is much better to spend a few hundred every few years to pump the septic tank than risk having to replace a leach field (or worse).

Like that old oil change commercial stated - "pay me now or pay me later". An oil change/engine rebuild is analogous to pumping the tank/replacing the leach field.
I had the septic system checked about 10 years ago, after 16-17 years of use and the verdict was pumping wasn't required and that the system was working well. Maybe it is time to have it checked again this spring. Mine is a 1200 gallon system with only 2 people.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$275

Pumping requirement can be a function of the laundry detergent being used. Lots of bleach effectively "kills" the system and will cause solids not to break down. Many route the laundry out a separate dry well for this reason. Or do a Ridx monthly treatment.