Serrated Knives

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
We've had popular threads on razor blades, toothpaste, and testosterone, so why not one on serrated knives?

:confused:
sharp on one side of blade or both? why?
can be sharpened? how?
brand names better than dollar store?
cut a melon in a curve?
good for bread?
stainless or carbon?
thin or thick blade (sharp edge to back of blade)?
used for ?
steak knives?
rust?

or perhaps an ego thing?

Or maybe back to the discussion on stick deodorants? :)

I hate serrated knives. The less said about them, the better.:)

But they work well for bread.

Offhand, it seems a good chef's style knife works fine for steak. Not sure why steak knives are serrated.

-ERD50

I use only one serrated knife - for bread. It's stainless steel and pretty unremarkable but it works well for that purpose. I've had it for 15 years and never had to sharpen it.

For everything else, I prefer non-serrated knives. I like carbon steel knives best.

+1, and often a cheaper blade is easier - a couple passes on the steel and good to go. OTOH, the stainless makes for fewer discussions about cleaning and drying the blades after use....

There are certain foods which are best cut with a serrated edge. These include bread, tomatoes, and some soft but not spreadable cheeses, such as fresh mozzarella. For each of these, you should cut with a sawing motion, not brute force pushing downward (which is a good way to smash a ripe tomato from the garden). For most other kitchen duties, I use my trusty set of non-serrated Henckels knives.

There are certain foods which are best cut with a serrated edge. These include bread, tomatoes, and some soft but not spreadable cheeses, such as fresh mozzarella. For each of these, you should cut with a sawing motion, not brute force pushing downward (which is a good way to smash a ripe tomato from the garden). For most other kitchen duties, I use my trusty set of non-serrated Henckels knives.
and watermelon...I cut it in half, and place each half with the flat side down. I trim off all of the rind first to leave a mound of fruit using a very colorful long bladed watermelon knife that Mr B found for $5 at Aldi's.
Then I cut the mound into thick slices, then strips, then cubes.

Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon Melon Knife Colori, 11-Inch: Flatware Fruit Knives: Kitchen & Dining

Attachments

• 0615141309.jpg
    0615141309.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 5
+1 on the serrated bread knife... Henckels for cooking and dining along with a Guy Fieri paring and chef knife that we love...

We have a friend who makes knives....chef, hunting, custom etc... hand forged, engraved and uses exotic woods and bone for the handle. Awesome talent in steel, wood and leather. DW got me one for my birthday and I use it for about everything...the pic is not the one I got... handles are different, but it sure is a pretty knife.

Attachments

• il_570xN.518143779_s2rl.jpg
    il_570xN.518143779_s2rl.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 4
We have a very thin bladed one, Works splendid for cutting bread.

Had another, used for cutting fiberglass insulation when I did the attic. It is still up there somewhere.

We have a set of CUTCO knives, several of which are serrated. They are outstanding.

We have a set of CUTCO knives, several of which are serrated. They are outstanding.

+1

Best knives I have owned.

Love the serrated ones for dissecting pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc. Otherwise, the chef's knife is generally my instrument of choice.

Back
Top Bottom