Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Wow - nothing like a Monday morning chuckle as I patiently wait for my software to load and sip the 2nd cup of coffee this morning! FOUR pages of controversy over 3 little slices of roast beast! Thanks Al! Sorry, but it really is comical!
Unbelievable............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A while back (still true??) there were airlines that charged less for a trip, say, from Cleveland to Dallas (with a stop in Atlanta) than for a trip from Cleveland to Atlanta. So, of course, some people would buy a ticket to Dallas and get off in Atlanta.
People still game that system, although I don't know if it still works on that route. Sites like FatWallet & Dollar Stretcher help spread the word pretty quickly, so of course the airlines (and other businesses) keep an eye on those sites, which inspires people to trade information on other sites... I bet that big businesses have entire marketing intel divisions tasked to find the Internet buzz about their loopholes and decide what to do about them.

The point here is that if retailers are ignorant enough to create loopholes then they deserve what they get. It's not the 70 cents of principal, it's the principle!

I'd like to see a Human Resources employee go to her supervisor in tears over a worker who was unfairly exploiting the company's personal-time-off rules...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #44

TA, I would use your collection of reused ziplock bags and freeze the slices of roast beast for latter...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #45

Bigritchie:

Thank you for the insight.

--greg
Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #46
gone traveling

Ordering stoned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Around here, Subway has a sandwich of the day special. For example, on Saturday a roast beef sub costs $2.99. Note that a veggie sub costs $3.69.

I've now done the following several times, with the same results. I ask for the roast beef special, but ask them to hold the roast beef.
T-Al Just got back from Subway in downtown SF. Vegie Delite $2.79, RB $3.99 Saturday Special RB $2.99

Aren't you up on the Northern California Coast? Good crop this year?

"Heather, here comes that old stoner surfer dude with the meat problem. You wait on him!"
Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

"Management has the right to refuse service." "The customer is always right." Just weed out the bad ones, business will thrive.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
he is my hero! (notice what a massive thriving business he has too!)
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

By the way for people that do not know the Soup Nazi is actually a real man (The Sienfeld show was based upon him), that has opened up places all over the United States now. There is a really funny video where he curses out a fox news reporter for touching his ladel with her dirty hands, which I do not blame him, I toss people for reaching around and trying to touch food with the dirty hands too.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #50

1st I agree, looking in from the outside, this is humorous to me. I can see that Ritchie is a bit bent out of shape because of the 'beating' he is getting. I also find it interesting that being in the ultimate customer service industry, he has survived with minimal empathy for his customers.
Having been 'raised' in the restaurant business (family owned), I share Ritchies feelings about the small percentage of 'customers' that abuse their right to be served. The biggest laugh is when I think back and recall some of the things I have seen in the kitchen. ... some restaurant workers do not have the 'sense of humor' that I do and have had some interesting ways at 'getting even' with these abusers. ...enuff said.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
The biggest laugh is when I think back and recall some of the things I have seen in the kitchen. ... some restaurant workers do not have the 'sense of humor' that I do and have had some interesting ways at 'getting even' with these abusers. ...enuff said.
Thanks for the laugh.
Al plans to get out quickly if the clerk offers to take his sandwich to the kitchen to "prepare it more properly".

I forgot to mention that these "house specialties" are also a reason I credit for keeping me on the flexible side when ordering in bars and restaurants.

Ha
Old 09-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[The soup Nazi] is my hero! (notice what a massive thriving business he has too!)
The fictional soup Nazi (and perhaps the real one) had a massive thriving business in spite of his lousy customer service because his soups were orgasm-level good. That was the point of the episode -- people put up with him because the soup was so good.

Ignoring the entertainment value, put another soup place across the street with soup that was just as good, but with good customer service, and the Nazi would be out of business.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

T-Al, I've done this too at many of the fast food places. While i don't frequent these places, they are convenient when I am on the road. Since I rarely eat meat, when I see a special - I order the special without the meat. Better deal for me, silly to throw it away and the restaurant uses fewer ingredients, so less costly to them. Seem like it should be win/win. I am not asking to substitute turkey for roast beef. just leave it off. I have had to argue as well and sometimes I have left - with not business. I will go next door and pay more just not to have to give in to such unreasonableness.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But finally I realized that I will never run out of money; that a few bucks here or there will never make any difference to me; and most of all that these clerks often are operating at the extreme top of the complexity of tasks that their IQs will allow. I am rich, smart, and articulate- they are poor, often not so smart, etc. I do not want to complicate their lives, or the life the boss who is also trying to make do in a tough world with sometimes modest gifts. Who also is employing this clerk who may have a baby at home and who needs for all our sakes to be employed.
Ha

HA sometimes ticks me off with his rants about government pensions. (Cause, I got mine now and I don't intend to give it back.) But I had to laugh when read his response on Trombone Al's request for no beef on the Roast Beef special.

Before I decided to get myself some of those government bennies HA hates others getting, I wasted an enormous amount of my youth working in restaurants for minimum wage. I held "management" positions which paid even less than minimum when you considered the hours required filling in when those "at the extreme top of complexity" failed to show up for their shifts.

I hated the way I smelled from the food spills that got on my clothes. I hated all the customers who demanded more, (or less,) than what was on the menu. "How many pieces do get on the medium pizza?" "Twelve. But if you can't eat that much, I can cut it into eight."

HA is correct about government service. Compared to what I had to put up with in restaurants, dealing with both customers and owners, "I didn't do nothing" in my government job. (But use my brain.)
Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
"Management has the right to refuse service." "The customer is always right." Just weed out the bad ones, business will thrive.
Try that if you work in government ! You are stuck with them , and they are stuck with you. Many of the soon to be criminal defendant "clients" , and the Informants I have to deal with at the public desk almost get me to loose it , but in the end , I always win the argument when a judge steps into the picture. I think on my last day , I will post a "We reserve the right to refuse service" sign. Bet it will be weeks before someone notices
Old 08-26-2017, 12:53 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
It is not about the money, we are not food prostitutes.
Hahahahahaha, Im sorry this guy doesnt post anymore hahah. He sounded like fun
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

It much be a slow day if you are reading/resurecting 10 year old threads! That thread is long before I even became a member and was a lurker.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
Stuff like this is why I am selling my restaurant and utterly hate the general public.
It is a great thing you are selling.

When I owned a restaurant, I did anything I could to put cash in the till. I sold anything that I could, and made up prices if it wasn't listed. I sold anything that wasn't bolted down.

Subway should have just deleted the roast beef. Maybe if Al requested to put the Roast Beef on the side it would have been OK.

Some people would rather stick to principles, rather than make money. My thought has always been, "Make the money".
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Senator, take a look at the date of this thread. You're responding to someone who has been gone from this forum for 7 years.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #60

this thread is funny on so many levels. I'm happy it was resurrected, because I missed it the first time around.