Join Early Retirement Today
SF Bay area earthquake
Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
SF Bay area earthquake

I live in a high rise built on "bay mud". I am surprised we didn't feel more of the shaking as it is supposed to be amplified greatly by this type of soil (we are about 30 miles away from the epicenter). All those metal piles they bury under buildings around here must be doing their job.

42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I lived in Sunnyvale for Loma Prieta. Was actually off that day. Got out of our apartment pool and was on the balcony when it hit. Fell down and we crawled inside to the nearest inside door jamb. It was like a bucking bronco. A friend in Santa Cruz said he saw a semi bouncing down the street. The pool emptied about 1/3 in 15 seconds.

I got dressed and went to the hospital to volunteer in the ER, suturing minor wounds. All the ER rooms were full--the local plastic surgeons had shown up in force for suturing duty. One if the scariest experiences for all concerned. One of my partner's wives developed PTSD and moved home to hurricane country.

I've experienced many minor earthquakes in my 40 years in CA. They're merely interesting.

A serious earthquake is a different experience entirely. The following week I was on vacation and showed up at a local Salvation Army. Volunteers by the hundreds were out in the rain loading trucks full of water, food, blankets and clothing into trucks as fast as they could, serving Watsonville which was devastated. Historic downtown Santa Cruz was leveled.

A 6.0 can be locally serious but fortunately the damage is limited. I hope all who were injured, especially the boy, are going to be OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
SF Bay area earthquake
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
SF Bay area earthquake

Having lived my entire life in Illinois, I've never experienced an earthquake greater than 4. I've seen the damage on the news. Stay safe everyone. Hopefully things get back to normal as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My cousin lives in Menlo Park (between SF and San Jose) and he got awakened by the minor shaking. No damage or injuries to him or his wife and 2 kids.

The earthquakes I have experienced were one northwest of San Diego in the high desert when I was visiting other cousins in SD in 1984. It was only in the low 4s but we felt and heard the shockwaves go through the house. It sounded like a fat squirrel was running across the roof. I was near a piano at the time and it made some noise. My cousin was sleeping on her waterbed so it felt very strange when the shockwave went through that LOL!

And on August 23, 2011, the strong quake in Virginia was felt all up and down the east coast, including Long Island where I live. I was eating some pizza at my local pizza joint when the hanging lamps began to shake. Everyone ran outside but I finished up the last few bites of my pizza slices before going outside and walked back to my apartment where I spoke to some neighbors and put on the news to learn more about what had happened.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
The shaking woke me up this morning. No damage.
I wasn't sure if it was a dream or I imagined the bed shaking but then saw on Twitter that it was an earthquake.
Need to be better prepared for the big one.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
It was strong enough to wake me up (North Oakland), but nothing was disturbed here. Friends in Vallejo report bookcases (unsecured) toppling, a bathroom mirror shattering and assorted items tumbling to the ground; a couple of people lost power and gas. One Napa friend shared pictures of heavy (well secured) equipment in a workshop toppled over, and general disarray; their power is out.

Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote