Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

SF Bay area earthquake
Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

SF Bay area earthquake

I've been seeing news reports on the early morning quake in CA. I haven't seen any comments from our membership who live in the area. FIREd, Rich_by_the_Bay, M Paquette, + many others, how goes it out there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't feel it at all in the South Bay.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Shaken, not stirred.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Earthquake? What earthquake? I slept through it. It woke DW up though.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That's a relief to know. Thanks for the reports. I was concerned as well.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm near the southeast corner of the SF Bay, pretty far from the epicenter in Napa. This one was unusual because it actually woke me up, and, the shaking & rolling lasted for a good 20 seconds or so -- I figured someplace a distance away was hit very hard. The bulk of the damage (which, fortunately, doesn't appear too severe overall, compared to Loma Prieta) seems to have been confined mainly to the Napa/Vallejo area in the north bay.

A very brief moment of silence for all the bottles of wine that were destroyed ...
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

6.0 From the USGS website The "South Napa Earthquake"Magnitude 6.0 Earthquake in California | Science Features don't know how long this link will be active.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

About 40 miles from epicenter. Have lived in SF and bay area all my life. My friends and I even have a joking agreement that if it's 4.0 or less, we're not allowed to talk about it (ie..it's no big deal). But this one got a bit dicey..... long and a lot of movement. MIL's picture fell off the wall (omen?)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like there was some damage in Napa (I am moving a visit to Napa to the top of our bucket list):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

Lots of damage in the Napa area. There was a fire in a mobile home park, with a broken water main. Four homes were totally destroyed. Pictures of a fire in a Victorian are on SFGate. Downtown Napa suffered a lot of damage - lots of brick buildings and facades. Highway 37 was closed because an overpass bridge shifted. 90 people injured, two critically.

Woke me up in the South Bay, maybe 15 or 20 seconds of rocking motion.

Plate glass contractors are going to be VERY busy.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've been seeing news reports on the early morning quake in CA. I haven't seen any comments from our membership who live in the area. FIREd, Rich_by_the_Bay, M Paquette, + many others, how goes it out there?
Thanks for your concern. We're OK.

I'm on the "Peninsula" side and we felt a 20 second snapping feeling (think of shaking out a sheet rather than a smooth rolling like the Loma Prieta quake, say the locals) which threw us around the bed for a while. A few heavy objects moved around on the their shelves. Our home is built to modern standards and held up very well with not so much as a hairline crack. This was a 6.0 event but very shallow leading to the "feels like" of a 6.9 event - big.

Quite the topic of discussion today. No injuries in our area, but it sure got our attention. We have lived in hurricane territory for years but the abruptness of a quake leaves you with quite the feeling of vulnerability. I guess we are now full-fledged Californians.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The corner of that building houses a restaurant with outdoor seating right beneath the pile of brick rubble. Fortunately at 3 am it was closed.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear you (and all others who posted) are OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
I guess we are now full-fledged Californians.
Be sure to get your certificate of accomplishment (or optional official T-shirt) to prove you've been there and done that.

An earthquake is one of two remaining big natural phenomenons I've not personally witnessed/experienced (tsunami is the other). Fine with me
Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #14

USGS says the depth was 6.7 miles. That's not that shallow. I don't watch TV, but the pictures on the Chronicle's website, SFGate, show a lot of the damage. The epicenter was near American Canyon, which is between Napa and Vallejo. There was damage in Vallejo as well.

If this had happened at lunchtime, many more people would have been hurt or killed. A similar earthquake down in Paso Robles killed two people when a wall collapsed.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

No damage at our place, 13 miles from the epicenter. We're on rock, though. The quake woke us all up. No power disruptions or emergencies beyond the usual paniced 911 calls in town. ("No ma'am. The earthquake isn't trying to break into your home.")

A lot of folks who live on built-up Napa River and Carquinez Straits flood plains and shorelines felt it much stronger than we did, with bookcases and picture frames falling. A few brick structures in Vallejo had damage. The affected highways (29, 37, 121) are all open now.

Downtown Napa, being on the silty floodplain soil and having lots of old brick structures seems to have gotten the most damage.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I'm near the southeast corner of the SF Bay, pretty far from the epicenter in Napa. This one was unusual because it actually woke me up, and, the shaking & rolling lasted for a good 20 seconds or so -- I figured someplace a distance away was hit very hard. The bulk of the damage (which, fortunately, doesn't appear too severe overall, compared to Loma Prieta) seems to have been confined mainly to the Napa/Vallejo area in the north bay.

A very brief moment of silence for all the bottles of wine that were destroyed ...
Ouch!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
What an awful tragedy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
An earthquake is one of two remaining big natural phenomenons I've not personally witnessed/experienced (tsunami is the other).
We did have a bit of an earthquake (the one centered in VA a couple of years ago) but I'm one of the people who didn't notice it. Other people did. Wonder if that counts?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We did have a bit of an earthquake (the one centered in VA a couple of years ago) but I'm one of the people who didn't notice it. Other people did. Wonder if that counts?
I felt that one all the way up in Hartford, CT. So I count it.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

First earthquake I ever felt was when I was living in a suburb of Boston -- the epicenter was in southern Maine. I guess no place is immune.

By & large, I suppose I'd rather live in an area where earthquakes are fairly common because due to the more stringent building codes, (modern) buildings & roads & bridges would be more likely to withstand them. Of course, then a really big one comes along and I start to question that preference ...
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I was down in Redwood City, in an office building by the marina, for the 1989 earthquake out at Loma Prieta, about 60 miles south of San Francisco. The land was old fill, and buildings were on driven pilings. That one shook more. A LOT more. Ceiling tiles dropping, doors popping out of hinges, etc. The stairs, a floating steel and concrete architectural element hung from the second floor, moved back and forth about 6 inches over the first floor. Nobody could really stand up or walk. The shaking sheared off underground power and water lines into the building (which led to a really interesting change in structure design). That was the quake that dropped a section of the old San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge.

This one didn't feel anywhere near as strong. I suspect our being in a structure on solid rock was a big factor there.

All the damage reports I've heard today coming through the local Emargency Operations Center appear to be related to older structures, primarily brickwork and brick facades. The Vallejo Fire Department and building inspectors are being kept busy with tall brick chimneys today. (Vallejo is a large older city about 4-5 miles from the epicenter.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote