Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Bought someone's reloads when I was starting out. Man, what is it some people have about hot loads? Most unpleasant shooting experience I've had in a while.
I don't know why so many reloaders feel they have to "push" the upper limits of their guns and ammo. If you want/need more power, then buy something designed to handle it. I hope he was licensed since I think selling reloads without a license is against the law. (See the ATF's website)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #82

Haha, Brewer, I have friends with hounds and you are right, just keeping them off the table is an accomplishment. My god, if you do let them off leash, away they go, enslaved to those prodigious noses!

Nice pup Graybeard! Aussie perhaps? I love to watch agility trialing and frisbee exhibitions, as we have a number of Border Collies that have gone on to win prizes at these kinds of events. Nice to see a dog with a job!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I don't know why so many reloaders feel they have to "push" the upper limits of their guns and ammo. If you want/need more power, then buy something designed to handle it. I hope he was licensed since I think selling reloads without a license is against the law. (See the ATF's website)
I don't get it either. My main interest in reloading is to end up with stuff that is below the oomph of what I can buy in the store, not the other way around.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Handloading for me has always been first and foremost about customizing ammunition for a particular firearm, so as to eke out every bit of accuracy that weapon is capable of; secondarily about reducing cost-per-round (so you can shoot more); and thirdly for building ammo that isn't generally available from the factories (like the down-loaded rounds Brewer mentions).

Loading ammo hot is the simplest thing in the world to do, but unless there is a very clear reason as to why, suggests ignorance more than wisdom.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Took up my old (from 1959-1969) childhood hobby of kart racing about five years ago - 10 years after retiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMWCCA Enduro-759a.jpg (444.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

unfortunately being at work, i do not have many pictures so i will only address one hobby--MOTORCYCLES. I don't ride the local stuff or commute any more. my bike stays parked unless i'm going for a 'ride'. My ride is normally in excess of 5 daysa and 2500 miles. I carry mosat everything i need to camp and eat. After i retire, i will continue to color in my map and hope to have all the states in a couple more years...and i will need a Mexico map too.

edit; my map is not complete! I have completed the east when the wife and I did 29 days on the Goldwing--camping all the way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1250 D GAP.JPG (330.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png goldwing4.PNG (156.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg VisitedStatesMap.jpg (14.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have nine alpacas, all boys. We shear them once a year and have learned to spin the fleece in to yarn. It's a nice winter project to sit in front of a fire and spin the fleece. We have other hobbies but this is probably the most unusual?
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #88

Quote:
I don't know why so many reloaders feel they have to "push" the upper limits of their guns and ammo. (See the ATF's website)
If your a competitive USPSA shooter, the last thing you want to do is load hot since one is after the least recoil/muzzle flip.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If your a competitive USPSA shooter, the last thing you want to do is load hot since one is after the least recoil/muzzle flip.
+1

I've never understood loading hot. My DW is small, she can handle a .45 acp in 1911(thin grips, short trigger) no problem, many times she'll outshoot me. Point is she practiced with no fear due to light loads. After 10,000 rounds or so I've added .1 grain here and there. She's now comfortable with Major PF loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

a picture is worth a thousand words...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC130025.jpg (523.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg PC130017.jpg (377.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2011 key west 021.jpg (306.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #91

I used to race pigeons and was quite competitive. I won a $7K 300 mile race once. Also a few smaller, ~$1K races.

The beauty of seeing a pigeon set its wings for the final drop after coming home from a 600-mile race, when it was released just ~12 hours previously, is unforgettable.

Now that I am getting close to retirement, it seems like too much work, feeding and caring for 100+ birds.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #92

I'm starting to combine hobbies. Photography with hiking works well. Now woodworking with photography. Going to make an easel like this. Had to make my own plans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easel photo.jpg (209.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg easel.jpg (551.3 KB, 6 views)