Join Early Retirement Today

Share a Hobby?
Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Share a Hobby?

How about a fun thing that you do, that isn't in the "top ten".

I have so many oddball hobbies that I'll just post one at a time...

Not too uncommon, Model Sailboat Racing. As close to real sailing as you can get. I don't build scale models, but do remote control sailing. For a while, six of my neighbors who live on our small lake, all had their own boats, and we'd lay out a triangular course and have mini regattas... The early days were more fun... until some of the technocrats in the group decided to abide by the rules. No more dirty tricks. International Yacht Racing Rules. Essentially a full semester college course.

Here's a website that covers the subject.
https://www.modelsailboat.com/race-rc.html My boat is similar to the ones on the website page... a one meter model.

Some of our ER members are well into sailing, so will understand that the rules are a bit complicated.

All in all, a wonderful sport/hobby that encourages some skill development, but can be had for a moderate investment of a few hundred dollars upfront, but no major ongoing cost. It doesn't even require competition, as just learning to sail a R/C model is great fun.

I'd like to get into Micro R/C planes. One of the retirement communities near us in FL, has a group of about 30 guys who fly these 3 oz. tiny electric power planes in their community auditorium every Saturday.

So, pick one of your more unusual hobbies, and share it with us.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW would tell you I have way too many passions. Though an eclectic mix, most are reasonably mainstream. One that's a little different, off in the corner of the shooting sports... I handload my own precision ammunition.

A lot of science. A bit of art. A tinge of magic.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, here's an odd hobby and cost me very little and takes almost no skill. Back in the late 70's, the DW and I were on vacation in Daytona Beach with another couple. I was drinking a Corona Light beer and admiring the white sand, among other things on the beach. When I finished the Corona, I filled it with some of the white beach sand and took it with me. The DW wouldn't let me take anything else from the beach. Anyway, I didn't know it then but that bottle of sand turned into a little hobby for me. Over the years, as I traveled around the country I started collecting the local beach or river bank sand and put it in Corona Light bottles (and put the cap back on). It made a nice inexpensive souvenir from the "visit". Also, it was a great excuse to have another beer! I wrote the name of the location and date on the bottom side of the bottle so I could keep track. Years ago, I told a few of my friends about this and they started doing it too. For those who don't drink beer you need to know that Corona Light beer bottles are clear. The older bottles are better since the labels were all in one color and didn't cover much of the bottle. I guess any clear bottle would do but I like beer too.

Now I have about 25 of them. Interesting to recall the visits and see all the different types of sand. From fine powder to very course gains, Sand colors range from bright white, to brown and even light red... Didn't take any real effort (I was there anyway) cost nothing (I was going to drink the beer anyway) and didn't take any skill. (except getting the bottle caps to stay on).

I started this long before Corona beer commercials on TV were set on the beach (I think). Maybe they should pay me for my collection?
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I handload my own precision ammunition.

Me too, although as I get older the handloads don't seem to be as accurate as they were back in the day. It must be either the powder, or primers, or bullets I'm using.

Actually, as I got into this, I even got to the point of weighing case and checking case volume capacities, cleaning out primer pockets after tumbling them, trimming cases, weighing out each charge, etc, etc...
Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My DW would tell you I have way too many passions. Though an eclectic mix, most are reasonably mainstream. One that's a little different, off in the corner of the shooting sports... I handload my own precision ammunition.

You're not alone. Started out a long time ago with a SS Lyman press. Upgraded to progressive Dillion in '08. Lot of fun, custom made loads, save some $ as well.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Me too, although as I get older the handloads don't seem to be as accurate as they were back in the day. It must be either the powder, or primers, or bullets I'm using.

Actually, as I got into this, I even got to the point of weighing case and checking case volume capacities, cleaning out primer pockets after tumbling them, trimming cases, weighing out each charge, etc, etc...
Probably those new-fangled components they're selling these days!

(Or might be bullet runout. One of the reasons the benchrest boys use arbor presses and hand dies).
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
One that's a little different, off in the corner of the shooting sports... I handload my own precision ammunition.

Not very different in Texas. Used to do this myself when I was competing in USPSA.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably those new-fangled components they're selling these days!

(Or might be bullet runout. One of the reasons the benchrest boys use arbor presses and hand dies).
Could be my progressive bifocals messing things up a bit. But you could be right about the new-fangled components too. If you are a bench rest shooter, and been around this stuff for a while, then you probably remember the old Hodgdon 4831 powder (WWII surplus, I think). It was much better then the new 4831 variants.

I still have some 7mm mags loaded with the old stuff.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Man this is an interesting one.... I shall list a few: My DW seems to avoid "any" hobby I have out of principle... , tolerates some and basically sticks to Scrapbooking and Beads.

1) RC Helicopters
2) RC Aircraft
3) RC Drones
4) 3D Printing of parts for above and any other thing that needs doing that can be made of plastic.
5) Fixing everything in the house myself that does not need too specialized tools. This is one of those my wife tolerates as it is in her favor to do so.
6) I used to enjoy car maintenance and tuning but am getting too old for that.
7) Helping my friend maintain and repair (and of course use) his 47' Tiara Fisher.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Like most people I know, "tea" used to mean a Lipton tea bag for me. When I moved to San Francisco, I discovered a whole new world of tea in Chinatown. Turns out, tea is a lot like wine. It's all tea leaves but the terroir, weather, and post-harvest processing generate wonderful variations in flavor. I have spent the last 2 years discovering Chinese and Taiwanese oolong tea. I experiment with water temperature, steeping time, water quality, kettles, brewing vessels, food pairings, etc... I keep a notebook to record my findings. Who knew there could be so much to learn about tea!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Too many hobbies and too little time
Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Too many hobbies and too little time

My hobby line up changed over time. My current hobby is golf, watching movies, and internet surfing. In previous decade, it was ping pong, soccer, gardening, and music. One before that were basketball, bowling, gambling, audiophile equipment, following professional teams, etc.. My tendency to pick up new hobbies is one of the reasons that I believe I won't be bored at ER. I am curious by nature and get my nose into any new things which interest me. I am curious what things would become my favorite ER hobbies and can't wait.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I recently started reloading my own shotshells in 20 gauge. A bunch of former doves will attest to their efficacy. I have all the stuff to start reloading centerfire, so it is just waiting for when I get around to it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think my hobbies are unusual and who knows what I will pick up when I finally FIRE. One thing for sure it will be inexpensive. I used to golf in my youth but a torn rotator cuff makes it hard to follow through like I used to so I stopped several years ago. I also used to scuba dive a lot but probably won't pick that up again. I currently ride my bike a fair bit and will do more once retired. I also play guitar and will do more of that too. I have thought about getting a telescope since I have always been interested in astronomy but even though it isn't expensive I am not sure given where I live it is worth it...and I think my expectation is Hubble like views and it will not be so wonderful

So maybe cooking and gardening ...now if I could write lyrics music could be all encompassing
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Jager;1495979... I handload my own precision ammunition.

A lot of science. A bit of art. A tinge of magic.[/QUOTE]

My former job involved regular meetings with various business owners and/or their accountants. Once, one item that landed in my inbox concerned a hand load ammunition supply store. I anticipated meeting with Cletus and his cousin in a trailer in a swamp somewhere. Imagine my surprise when I found a clean, well-laid out professional operation with a fireproof room. Their clientele included Olympic-style marksmen who, it was explained, preferred to load their own ammo for consistency. This happened 15-20 years ago but I still recall it vividly as an example of how you learn something new every day. Prior to this I had never heard of such an activity.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #15

I like restoring things. Over time this has lead me to refinishing furniture (bed set, marble top dresser, barrister bookcase, and desk), restoring my 1976 Monte Carlo (I hired out the paintings and rust work, did interior and light engine work myself), built tube amplifiers.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 1958 Grundig "Konzertschrank" console radio. Top of the line at the time, it cost $1000 dollars when originally sold.

I also brew beer.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I was doing some wood carving, and some resin molding and casting for a while. My subject matter was mostly small tikis that I turned into necklaces. Tendinitis in my arms disrupted it. Would have liked to switch over to tap handles.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #17

This is what the radio I am restoring looks like.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My three main hobbies are square dancing, Scrabble, and Strat-o-Matic.

The square dancing I first started back in the 1970s when I was a teenager, did it on and off in the 1980s, then stopped until 2001 when I switched from working full-time to part-time, giving me the chance in the evening to resume it. I have not only gotten back to the level I was at when i left the circuit in the late 1980s but have moved up to Challenge (C-1) level. I dabbled with being a caller for about a year back in 2008 but I didn't really like it.

Scrabble I began playing with a friend in the 1980s, then started playing in clubs and tourneys in the late 1990s, then I stopped with that and switched to school Scrabble in 2001 when I switched from wotking full-time to part-time, giving me the chance during the day to partake in it. I then started running small school tourneys in 2005 and have been doing that ever since. I still play against my friend and beat him most of the time.

Strat-O-Matic I began playing in 1973 when I was 10 years old. I played it (baseball and hockey, mainly) a lot into my mid-20s but as my interest in sports waned, so did my interest in Strat. I played a few times in the 1990s and helped some friends who were in a local Strat league every year by running their annual draft of players. I also found a Strat message board like this one back in 2005 and that resurrected my interest in the game (baseball only). Without spending much money (mostly from the generosity of others and some trades of Strat cards), I was able to fill in some of the gaps in my collection (1970s-1980s) and resumed playing in 2006. It is all solitaire, I am not really interested in playing against other people.

I also expanded my reading of books once I had more time to read upon ERing. I have posted a few of the titles in our "What have you read lately?" thread.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My three main hobbies are square dancing, Scrabble, and Strat-o-Matic.

The square dancing I first started back in the 1970s when I was a teenager, did it on and off in the 1980s, then stopped until 2001 when I switched from working full-time to part-time, giving me the chance in the evening to resume it. I have not only gotten back to the level I was at when i left the circuit in the late 1980s but have moved up to Challenge (C-1) level. I dabbled with being a caller for about a year back in 2008 but I didn't really like it.

Scrabble I began playing with a friend in the 1980s, then started playing in clubs and tourneys in the late 1990s, then I stopped with that and switched to school Scrabble in 2001 when I switched from wotking full-time to part-time, giving me the chance during the day to partake in it. I then started running small school tourneys in 2005 and have been doing that ever since. I still play against my friend and beat him most of the time.

Strat-O-Matic I began playing in 1973 when I was 10 years old. I played it (baseball and hockey, mainly) a lot into my mid-20s but as my interest in sports waned, so did my interest in Strat. I played a few times in the 1990s and helped some friends who were in a local Strat league every year by running their annual draft of players. I also found a Strat message board like this one back in 2005 and that resurrected my interest in the game (baseball only). Without spending much money (mostly from the generosity of others and some trades of Strat cards), I was able to fill in some of the gaps in my collection (1970s-1980s) and resumed playing in 2006. It is all solitaire, I am not really interested in playing against other people.

I also expanded my reading of books once I had more time to read upon ERing. I have posted a few of the titles in our "What have you read lately?" thread.

I met DH square dancing in the 70s!

We were in California at the time. We stopped after DS was 2 and especially when we moved cross country. Danced C-1 at nationals in Anaheim in 1976. Very challenging level. You should be proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I square danced as a youth. Our local caller, who was superb, lived at the end of our street so I would occasionally ride with him and his wife to dances. Drifted away from it until DW and I were in our early 30s and we did it again for a number of years. DD went for a year when she was 7 or so and still remembers it to this day. We again drifted away as things got busier but it still crosses my mind now and then to take it up again.

My main hobbies right now are golf and DIY projects around the house and my Mom's house.

When my did retired he got into some goofy hobbies. I recall he was into making lights that he would make a lampshade from an upside down white plastic bin drilled full of holes and insert these colored plastic nubs that provided color when the light was on. There is still one hanging in the laundry room at my Mom's place. If I start doing that, please just shoot me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote