Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

Quote:
I shook hands with all three of the Apollo 13 astronauts.
Well.....I shook Warren Buffet's hand in Omaha. Hoping some of that wealth rubs off on me.

__________________

__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 468
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

I was face to face with OJ in Santa Monica during his trial there and refused to shake his hand.
__________________

__________________
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I posted on the ER forum with a pseudonym. Never told a soul about it.
Some of us didn't need to be told.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
shiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 673
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I posted on the ER forum with a pseudonym. Never told a soul about it.
Was it a short term one like "Richard Reid" or longer term?
__________________
I'm made of atoms, you're made of atoms, and we're all in this together. Ben Lee
shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

I overheard my SO talking on the phone about his wife of six years .No one knows that so called secret including me . Apparently I'm married .Now I'm making him take me on a honeymoon.
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 149
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

I've got a portfolio over $1,000,000 and live like I make $30k
__________________
"Watch your topknot"
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Was it a short term one like "Richard Reid" or longer term?
It was short term. Very similar to Richard Reid.
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............
Old 03-18-2007, 03:01 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 179
Re: Share One Fact About You Almost Noone Knows............

From my birth in the early 1950's to the early 1970's, I resided in 2 different hotels managed and operated by my parents near downtown Seattle. The two hotels were located side-by-side. One hotel was occupied only by Whites, and the other was occupied only by Blacks. The hotel occupied by the Blacks was remarkable in that it had a nice piano center-stage in the relatively large lobby that was played on by some of the great Black musicians of the 1940's and 1950's - people like "Satchmo" (Louis Armstrong), Duke Ellington, and Sam Cooke. The Harlem Globetrotters had also stayed at the hotel. The hotel was definitely not a fancy place, but because of rampant discrimination back then, the Blacks were not allowed to stay at the first-class hotels in town. By the time my parents purchased the hotel business (where the Blacks stayed) in the late 1960's, all the famous people no longer were staying there. But the former owners still had the hotel registrations showing the names/signatures of all those famous guests from the past. Unfortunately, my parents did not gain possession of those hotel registrations; they may have even been tossed by the former hotel owners. What a pity if that was the case 'cuz they may have served as wonderful pieces of archival information and historical interest. Luckily, the aforementioned piano is now sitting in the living room of my brother's home. And a beautiful embroidered tapestry "painting" (of flowers and birds framed in mother-of-pearl) that used to hang in the lobby of that same hotel is now hanging on the wall in my home. Brings back some very fun and fond memories from that time growing up. It was definitely different from living in the proverbial house with a white picket fence in the suburbs!
__________________
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fireup2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam View Post
From my birth in the early 1950's to the early 1970's, I resided in 2 different hotels managed and operated by my parents near downtown Seattle. The two hotels were located side-by-side. One hotel was occupied only by Whites, and the other was occupied only by Blacks. The hotel occupied by the Blacks was remarkable in that it had a nice piano center-stage in the relatively large lobby that was played on by some of the great Black musicians of the 1940's and 1950's - people like "Satchmo" (Louis Armstrong), Duke Ellington, and Sam Cooke. The Harlem Globetrotters had also stayed at the hotel. The hotel was definitely not a fancy place, but because of rampant discrimination back then, the Blacks were not allowed to stay at the first-class hotels in town. By the time my parents purchased the hotel business (where the Blacks stayed) in the late 1960's, all the famous people no longer were staying there. But the former owners still had the hotel registrations showing the names/signatures of all those famous guests from the past. Unfortunately, my parents did not gain possession of those hotel registrations; they may have even been tossed by the former hotel owners. What a pity if that was the case 'cuz they may have served as wonderful pieces of archival information and historical interest. Luckily, the aforementioned piano is now sitting in the living room of my brother's home. And a beautiful embroidered tapestry "painting" (of flowers and birds framed in mother-of-pearl) that used to hang in the lobby of that same hotel is now hanging on the wall in my home. Brings back some very fun and fond memories from that time growing up. It was definitely different from living in the proverbial house with a white picket fence in the suburbs!
Fascinating! (these types of posts are what keep me cruising the archives listed at the bottom of current posts) Anyone want to add their secret facts?

I was hired by Hooters, but chickened out on actually starting work! (too many fellow sailors frequented the place!) Did you know that even the pantyhose they wear must be "uniform" by Hooters issue?
__________________
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
My sister and I helped capture a crook who broke into my neighbor's house while my Dad who was a sergeant in the state police watched football.My Aunt had the clipping from the newspaper laminated and still carries it around .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
Fascinating! (these types of posts are what keep me cruising the archives listed at the bottom of current posts) Anyone want to add their secret facts?
When I was much younger, I was the state chess champion for my age group. Most people I know today have no idea I even play chess.
__________________
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,323
Nobody today knows that I always wanted to be a musical comedienne and a stand-up comic most of my life; but, unfortunately, the business world and making money took precedence as I had to support myself. I keep hoping that when my son has a child/children that one of them will take up the gavel and become a successful comic. Goofy goal, huh?
I did, however, talk a niece into doing stand-up for a living; but, at 300 plus pounds, she couldn't be the love interest very believably. She's doing well, too, and getting up there in popularity slowly and surely (well, she is getting more tv all the time, anyway).

Here's a slice of life: When I worked for the Minority Leader of the US Senate, Everett Dirksen, Mrs. Dirksen used to send me home with canned goods when I worked at her house. Go figure? Since they lived on the interest of their money only, I don't think that she had to can goods...but she did. Guess she got pleasure from it. They were--whether you agree politically with them or not (and my folks were diehard Dems)--down to earth people if nothing else. Now nobody but you guys know that, and who would ever figure that one?
__________________
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.
tangomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 756
I was on the Joan Rivers show to promote a book I wrote. Not fun---an introvert on national TV with that horrible woman who already had had a zillion face lifts even back then.....

__________________
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.------Krishnamurti
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,323
That reminds me: When Joan Rivers made her movie "Rabbit Test" with Billy Crystal about a man being pregnant, I went to see the movie when I was about 7-8 months pregnant as she would be there meeting and greeting theater goers. I stood last in line to shake her hand at the front of the theater as I was so paranoid about people bumping into me...but I had a 10 lb. whopper, and looked like I had twins even then. I was SO big that people in innercity Chicago actually turned around and stared at me even then! I tell you...big...and I have the stretch marks to prove it, too...BIG!!!!
Edgar, her now dead husband, was there; and he laughed his head off when he saw me in line I was so big. Seemed like a nice guy.
Joan Rivers offered to buy the baby if it was a boy. Damn her...during the times I would have gladly sold him because he was being a pain in the rear, I couldn't find her. She makes offers she doesn't go thru with....don't trust her....ha!
__________________
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,292
I once had the opportunity to run over Bill Gates.
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hardscrabble Texas
Posts: 372
I lay awake at night and worry about what's going to happen to the family treasures that have been passed down. My daughter us unable to have children and my son has no plans of ever getting married....and no he's not gay. Of course both kids will get this stuff, but what then?
My grandfathers Marine Corps decorations, my great grandmothers cast iron stove, a collecion of old and rare firearms...the list goes on. It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.
__________________
.....#.....
Poundkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.
Eventually, the 'true history' of everything will be lost. No reason to sweat exactly when that will happen since that is unknowable.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:32 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
simple girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,505
I once danced on a robot.

OK, guess I need to explain. This nightclub had a big robot (6-7' tall) that had a platform on the front of it. It had flashing lights, etc. and would move around the dance club floor. Girls would take turns hopping on and shaking their stuff...
__________________
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I once danced on a robot.

OK, guess I need to explain. This nightclub had a big robot (6-7' tall) that had a platform on the front of it. It had flashing lights, etc. and would move around the dance club floor. Girls would take turns hopping on and shaking their stuff...
I wanna party with you!
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
My daughter us unable to have children and my son has no plans of ever getting married.....
Ummm...your son does not have to be married to have children.
__________________

__________________
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"In fact, the mass exodus in equities..." Why I don't listen to the mass media dex FIRE and Money 15 02-28-2007 08:28 AM
Does your spouse share your financial goals? JustCurious FIRE and Money 41 02-17-2007 07:20 PM
Can I share …….. New here xpcommon Hi, I am... 2 02-10-2006 03:16 PM
Form a Yahoo! Group to share Excel/other files? MooreBonds Other topics 1 12-19-2004 09:36 AM
Wealth accumulation phase rate of return newellcr Young Dreamers 16 09-02-2003 08:58 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.