Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #41
Administrator

My naked tush is available in print.

I sat on a snake in the bathroom when I was 15. Pics of the injury site and ensuing treatment were published in a couple of med books.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.
I donated my midshipman parade uniform to the Smithsonian, and no doubt someday they'll get the rest of my seabag.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

I sat on a snake in the bathroom when I was 15. Pics of the injury site and ensuing treatment were published in a couple of med books.

Was this a snake in the toilet kind of thing? This is horrifying! (naked tush aside)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I thought you looked familiar...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I lay awake at night and worry about what's going to happen to the family treasures that have been passed down.......

My grandfathers Marine Corps decorations, my great grandmothers cast iron stove, a collecion of old and rare firearms...the list goes on. It just wears on me that at some point their true history will be lost.
We have a Historical Society in our county, that has a very nice museum. They are always happy to receive things like that. Perhaps there is such a place in your area that you could donate your treasures to, and then they could be enjoyed (and treasured) not only by you and yours, but by many others too.

Also, our local Historical Society accepts things on 'consignment'. They protect, care for, and display the items.....but you remain the owner, and can take the things back any time you want to. That makes it nice, because they have the benefit of displaying the articles, but if you decide to 'pass it on' to family or friends....you still can! Or you can allow them to just be care takers while your alive, and then either become the new 'owners' at your demise, or your offspring can regain possession. All decisions are solely up to the donor.

So you may check into something like that to ease your mind.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In my twenties I was in a training film about face lifts and no I was not the patient .I was the surgical nurse .
Old 01-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Was this a snake in the toilet kind of thing? This is horrifying! (naked tush aside)

This was a copperhead on the seat kind of thing. It didn't appreciate being mooned and then mashed in the middle of the night. Now i turn on the light.....
Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

In the 19th century, one member of my ancestral clan murdered a man. That's all I know about him.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #49

I was on a speed roller skating team in my late 20's or early 30's.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My only request for my funeral is that "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix be played.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We have a Historical Society in our county, that has a very nice museum. They are always happy to receive things like that. Perhaps there is such a place in your area that you could donate your treasures to, and then they could be enjoyed (and treasured) not only by you and yours, but by many others too.

Also, our local Historical Society accepts things on 'consignment'. They protect, care for, and display the items.....but you remain the owner, and can take the things back any time you want to. That makes it nice, because they have the benefit of displaying the articles, but if you decide to 'pass it on' to family or friends....you still can! Or you can allow them to just be care takers while your alive, and then either become the new 'owners' at your demise, or your offspring can regain possession. All decisions are solely up to the donor.

So you may check into something like that to ease your mind.
I've thought about things like this, and will urge the kids to make the donations when the time comes for them. Different things could go to different places. My dad's class ring could go back to Texas A&M....I understand they already have a collection going. The old stove (which has been restored to perfect condition) could go to a historical society. I'm sure a museum would be interested in some of the guns....there are around 30 and I have the complete history on most. I think the Marine Corps might be interested in the medals. The kids (hopefully) won't have the emotional attachments so it may be easier for them.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've attended weddings in 8 different countries, on 4 different continents.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I won a brand new Camaro in a dealership drawing in 1994! I sold it back to them and bought a new Jeep instead.
2fer
Old 01-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I have several pieces of metal installed below the belt.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #55

1. My family (father's side) was well-off in the 1700-1800's. They owned 1000 acres in NC and had a thriving milling operation on a creek, and quite a few slaves.
  2. My great-great grandfather sold off much of the land (at 25 cents per acre) to pay for his ailing wife's medical care. In his will, he left his remaining slaves, named in the will to various sons, including my great grandfather.
  3. That same great-grandfather eventually married his own niece (slim pickin's back in the woods in those days).
  4. Great-grandfather was also captured in the civil war, along with his brother and held captive at Ft. Delaware, then released in a prisoner exchange.
  5. By the time I was born, my ancestor's wealth was all gone so I won't be inheriting a family fortune.
Ummm...I guess that's more than one......

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #56

I lied about my age to obtain a case of beer.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I lied about my age to obtain a case of beer.
What, are you too old to get it without a fake ID?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

If someone doesnt ask me for ID, right after they click the register button to clear the "Under 27 Y/N?" on the screen, I blurt out "I'm only 13!!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I sat next to a murderer in my law school ethics class.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What, are you too old to get it without a fake ID?
Well sort of.......My state raised the drinking age to 32 because so many high school kids were getting drunk

Thanks Mr Foxworthy