Join Early Retirement Today

Share Your BEST 1980's experiences/stories.......
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Share Your BEST 1980's experiences/stories.......

Thought this thread could be fun, most of us remember the 1980's........

I will share a few once I exercise a few brain cells and think about it.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
gone traveling

DW and I bought our first home in 1984 for $143K and sold it two years later for $340K (the first day it was on the market). Thought to ourselves, wouldn't it be nice if we could do this for a living
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought my first home for $45,000, altered between Farah Fawcett and Dorothy Hamill (the "wedge") hairstyles, and managed to get through a B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. with no student debt.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Thought this thread could be fun, most of us remember the 1980's........

I will share a few once I exercise a few brain cells and think about it.
Can u change decades Finance? Very little can be shared from that decade in this family rated forum. But if you would like an idea, I recommend watching "Hot Tub Time Machine" story about current day 40 plus year old men finding themselves back in the 80's inside their teenage bodies.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
gone traveling

I was born in the early 80s. I remember some excellent summer vacations... but nothing as juicy as I expect to come out of this thread.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
I was born in the early 80s.
We have a winnah!!! Can't beat that one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We have a winnah!!! Can't beat that one.
I do enjoy coming in and busting up polls which obviously don't take into account my age group
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Administrator

I spent much of the 80's underwater.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I quit my first job in 1980 to move to Boston following my then girlfriend, new job required travel around the eastern seaboard and Carribean, got married in 1982, DD born in 1984, bought a house for ~75k at 13% interest rate in 1984 (later added three bedroom and a master bath and sold for twice what we paid for it - whee...), got my MBA in 1984-1986, moved to a different job in 1986, lost our second daughter just after childbirth in 1987, DS born in 1988........ sported a mustache back then...
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my BS in '82 and started w*rk! Followed soon after by getting married (30th anniversary soon come!), buying a house at the "great" interest rate of 13%, lower than anybody I knew at the time, and two kids.

Maybe not what you expected, but early '82 was also the last time I shaved. Always hated doing it and decided I didn't want that to be a daily routine once I started w*rk$ng. DW has seen me without a beard prior to getting married, but not the kids. Got to be a joke with some of my son's friends, to the point that at #1 son's rehearsal dinner (per tradition I was picking up the tab for 60ish folks at the local steak house, thankfully in a small town at a very reasonable price), a few of them offered to pick up the tab if I would shave for the wedding. Needless to say, alcohol might have been a factor in them making the offer... I have a few friends, who, upon hearing that story, question my sanity. They can't understand why I turned it down.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Best memory I have of the 80's was selling everything I had in the market in the summer of 1987 because I felt like things were just going up too fast. Then one day in October my boss came walking down the hall in an extreme hurry, and I said, what's wrong Bill? And he said, "the market just went down 500 points".
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

But did you get back in an when?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Best professional experience? Well, there was the back to back missions on the USS Parche in 1980 and 81 where REDACTED... That was really neat! Certainly the most interesting experience. (if a bit scary)

Second best career-wise would be getting hired by a startup company in 1986 that would launch my career in very interesting directions. They were really taking a chance on hiring me, but I think it worked out well.

Best personal experiences were easily the birth of our first two children. :-)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #14

Bought my first house in the 1980's and financed it with an almost 16.5% ARM loan. The fixed loans were pushing 17.5%, so it was a relative bargain.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

In the 80's, I had boundless energy. I put all of that intensity into the w*rkplace and partying. Bought our first house, later sold that house and moved to the big city of St. Louis.

Went on trips to Las Vegas with my mom, experienced a hot air balloon ride, and waded in an ocean for the very first time. Happy hour after w*rk was the norm and going out dancing every Friday and Saturday night was a must. One of my dance partners would spin me like a top on the dance floor. Ahhhh...he was more intense than I.

Kind of makes me tired when I think about it...but what fun memories.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had a lot of get-up-and-go in the 1980s. I flew to California (from NY) 7 times to visit my cousins and went on many weekend car trips to visit friends in the NY area. I had the get-up-and-go to survive a terrible LIRR strike for 2 weeks in January 1987, 2 weeks of hell which included 2 snowstorms as we had to drive partway to work instead of using the commuter trains.

I moved several times after I finished college including 3 times in less than 12 months. I recall being so happy when, after living in one place for one year, seeing my phone bill drop because I had finally paid off the installation charges I had stretched out over 12 months.

I sported a moustache for a few years in the mid-80s and bought my first car. With a shorter workday in the 80s than it would become in the 90s, I went out many nights after work. Life was fun and exciting in those first few years on my own in the mid to late 1980s. I actually had some early success with women for a few years!

I had a few sad times in the early 80s. I got knocked off a bicycle and fractured my wrist one summer (before I learned how to drive). My grandmother died the night before my HS graduation.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #17

Started bicycle touring in the early 80's - by 1989 had ridden SF to LA, Portland to LA, LA to Denver, LA - Tahoe - LA, and Denver to LA.

Hiked Whitney, Half-Dome.

Bought my first house.

Got my first 3 dogs (as an adult)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Was anyone working as a waitress in a cocktail bar?
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #19

1980-got transferred and into a job I hated.
1983-got transferred and into a job I loved.
1986-DW diagnosed wiith breast cancer-surgery. Sad times. Survived.
1988-RETIRED!! Yipee!! 5-1-88 =the first day of the rest of my life.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #20

ER'd in Oct 1987 , life was pretty much a blur before and after that as I partied through out the 90's!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote